Sponsored by:

Alternator issue: Is it common?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 11:44 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cfjan
The car is now fixed by the shop.. but just for future reference, how do you guys know if it is just the voltage regulator or the whole alternator? Do they have different symptoms?
In my case, the voltage shown in the gauge dropped to like nothing and my alt light went on... Very rare for the windings to go bad... In the old days, there were diodes used to rectify the AC produced by the windings into 12vDC. Do not know if they are still there, but those used to fail. Really do not know if newer alternators have all of that circuitry built in into the voltage regulator assembly...
Old 10-20-2013, 02:25 PM
fatfat
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

06 997 with 78300KM. the clutch pulley making on/off noises..removed and had it repaired...200$ for new clutch pulley, regulator, bearings, bushes...i was told completely checked with warranty.

P-dealer was asking 2100$ for new, and 1200$ for rebuilt replacement.........the job was easy with no special tools required.

thank you for all the great online information.
Old 04-03-2022, 02:34 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Digging up this thread thanks to google.

Out for a drive today, car has been in garage on battery tender for 3 months since last drive. Started right up, drove about 30 miles, stopped, started fine. Ran an errand to Trader Joe’s, car will not crank. Luckily there was a Harbor Freight in the same center, got some jumpers and nice guy in a Jeep jumped me off. Drive home was fine.

Checked battery (1 year old) and it needed a charge, charged and then put a load test on it. Battery check out fine. Checked the charging system and the tester failed it. The gauge does not register voltage

My tester is a cheap Harbor Freight unit, so not much in the way of diagnostics.

Dashboard voltmeter reads 12.5 volts.

Any thoughts as to if this is just the voltage regulator of if it needs a full alternator rebuild?

26,000 miles, belt is in place and tensioned.
Old 04-03-2022, 11:08 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a VR go out on track. Car was running strong for a few sessions then dead. Two hour tow to shop back home and it turned out to be a $60 VR.
Old 04-04-2022, 05:39 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

I ordered a VR, it should be here by the weekend and I will install it. I found a video showing how to R&R on a 6-Turbo, it looks well within my wrenching knowledge base. Looks pretty straight forward.

Old 04-10-2022, 11:31 AM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Installed the new VR over the weekend. It is pretty straight forward, if not a bit fussy. The leads to the alternator on my car are quite short which made removal and reattachment difficult. As it turns out the battery was caput as well, so a new battery, and new regulator.

The old VR had the worn down brushes that others have shown, a good 1/4” shorter than the new VR.

The following 2 users liked this post by Honkity Hank:
4porsh (04-11-2022), dukmon (04-15-2022)

Quick Reply: Alternator issue: Is it common?