Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Alignment issue, top mounts and bearings??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 12:18 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help: Alignment issue, top mounts and bearings??

Hi,

My 996 GT3 has been pulling since I took delivery and I took it back to the dealer to have the alignment re-done and I also mentioned that I was hearing a low speed knocking from the front strut. The car has 41,000kms and zero track miles. They told me that the bearing in the top mount (I believe it's called the thrust bearing) is dried out and needs to be replaced. They said that's what's causing the alignment issue. What I don't understand is they said that this also requires the top mount to be replaced??

I've found a thread here which discusses this very issue and referred to a Porsche service bulletin which advises simply lubricating the bearings.

Any advice??? If I do need to replace everything, should I go with OE or aftermarket upgrades?

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Burger
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Depends on how much damage has been caused by running without adequate lubrication. Some top mounts have replaceable bearings, and I would bet the OEM ones could be, but there are no part numbers for a rebuild.

The OEM and aftermarket mounts similar, and have the same benefits. The Tarrett ones look to be serviceable, so not a bad option.

http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-products/996-997-suspension/996-997-monoballs~bushings/996-986-front-camber-plate-set-996fcplta-detail.htm

Quick Reply: Help: Alignment issue, top mounts and bearings??