Dymags... who's got em? Besides me

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 12:47 PM
mobilett
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Dymags... who's got em? Besides me

Hey guys, who is running Dymags here?

I just picked up a set of 18's and am pretty psyched about getting them on the car, especially after the 8.2lbs LWFW, and the RS Pulley I just put on!

Anybody with real world experience and feedback? I've tried searching, but there is little info on it. Do they really make a noted difference? I'm excited for the improved turn-in, braking, and acceleration.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:50 PM
mobilett
Instructor

Nobody ?
Attached Images  
Old 05-13-2013, 07:59 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Need to see picks when installed.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of the same Dymags that came with the car when I bought it in '08. I only used them on the track and the lightness was very noticeable in acceleration and braking - they're awesome wheels from that perspective. Unfortunately the magnesium inserts cracked on 3 of the wheels, and Dymag quoted me about $5K plus shipping to the UK to repair them, so that was the end of my Dymag experience.

The lightness is a revelation, but in my experience, they were fragile, so care needs to be taken and frequent inspections are prudent - particularly if being used on the track. It's entirely possible though that mine were compromised when I bought them so hopefully your experience is all positive.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:39 AM
barth
Advanced

Hello,

I run with Dymag which I only use for street!
On the track, I use OZ.
My Dymag is generation 2 had cracks and leaks in the old ones!
Do not really know if it is possible to buy rims anymore, believe the company is bought out and they only sell motorcycle wheel now?!
Attached Images   
Old 05-14-2013, 12:56 PM
mobilett
Instructor

Originally Posted by 007DT
Will do!
Old 05-14-2013, 01:00 PM
mobilett
Instructor

Originally Posted by 007DT
Originally Posted by Boinkus44
I have a set of the same Dymags that came with the car when I bought it in '08. I only used them on the track and the lightness was very noticeable in acceleration and braking - they're awesome wheels from that perspective. Unfortunately the magnesium inserts cracked on 3 of the wheels, and Dymag quoted me about $5K plus shipping to the UK to repair them, so that was the end of my Dymag experience.

The lightness is a revelation, but in my experience, they were fragile, so care needs to be taken and frequent inspections are prudent - particularly if being used on the track. It's entirely possible though that mine were compromised when I bought them so hopefully your experience is all positive.

Ever thought about selling your damaged ones? I might be interested in having some spares

Thanks for the feedback. I'm really excited to get these on. I'm just wracking my brain trying to figure out what tires to go for. There are really only a few tires we can run on our cars. There have been many threads, but no real definitive "This is the best tire". I want MPSC, but they don't have the correct load for the 6-3. Toyo R888 seems like the next best thing, but they apparently get scary. Maybe it's just back to the Ps2's..

I'm looking forward to the enhanced braking and acceleration, especially since I just did the flywheel and pulley, so I'm lightening the rotating assembly even more.

BTW, these will be used for street. I'm a poser, and never tracked my car once, and put on only about 500-5000 kms per year max. I baby it. So these wheels will be in good hands.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:03 PM
mobilett
Instructor

Originally Posted by barth
Hello,
I run with Dymag which I only use for street!
On the track, I use OZ.
My Dymag is generation 2 had cracks and leaks in the old ones!
Do not really know if it is possible to buy rims anymore, believe the company is bought out and they only sell motorcycle wheel now?!
Wow. Beautiful car! I love it. You're right the company doesn't make our wheels anymore. So it's a bit of a gamble. But worth the risk I think. I think the benefits outweigh the risks. Plus there will always be odd sets around every now and then.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Originally Posted by mobilett
Ever thought about selling your damaged ones? I might be interested in having some spares
While I've stored the wheels inside the house since their retirement, they still have the cracked inserts (3) and the topcoat of the CF barrels are discoloured somewhat (slightly yellowed from heat according to Dymag at the time) with some flaking. I'm told (but never pursued it due to the cracked inserts) that the CF topcoat can be reconditioned. If you're interested, I can send you some pics.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:05 PM
mobilett
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boinkus44
While I've stored the wheels inside the house since their retirement, they still have the cracked inserts (3) and the topcoat of the CF barrels are discoloured somewhat (slightly yellowed from heat according to Dymag at the time) with some flaking. I'm told (but never pursued it due to the cracked inserts) that the CF topcoat can be reconditioned. If you're interested, I can send you some pics.

Boinkus44: YGPM!

Quick Reply: Dymags... who's got em? Besides me