Sponsored by:

Chirping noise from transmission / flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 10:43 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,076 Likes on 2,109 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
as far as "is this chirp noise a problem"...I think many of us, myself included, have given it quite the test of time and come way with no issues other than the noise itself. Mine is still in the car from 2014-2015 timeframe and still chirping away but also still bone dry.
Great to hear - thank you for the response.

Joe
Old 04-17-2021, 04:10 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr
I think the chirping is a vacuum leak past the RMS
On a 964 (with a one-way breather valve) you are looking at a loss of ~5HP when the RMS chirps and the crankcase loses vacuum. Curious how much (probably the same) of a loss you'd be seeing on newer models?
Old 04-17-2021, 06:55 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

I have read that by using the 996 RSR valve on the GT3, the increase in vacuum was worth ~ 5hp...

I suspect that the loss of vacuum is pretty small.

Ray
Old 04-24-2021, 04:14 PM
mnwild
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

I can’t hear the noises in this thread very well so don’t feel like I know what the chirp sounds like being described in this thread ... with that being said, my car makes this buzzing noise (chirp?), exact same as starts at :11 in the below video. Is this what is being discussed or anyone familiar with what might cause this or should it be of concern?

Old 04-24-2021, 05:13 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,076 Likes on 2,109 Posts

Originally Posted by mnwild
I can’t hear the noises in this thread very well so don’t feel like I know what the chirp sounds like being described in this thread ... with that being said, my car makes this buzzing noise (chirp?), exact same as starts at :11 in the below video. Is this what is being discussed or anyone familiar with what might cause this or should it be of concern?

https://youtu.be/rSIH6YPg9YE
That's a different noise. Definitely more of a buzzing noise. Almost sounds as if a fan is running and is contacting something. I'd have a trusted shop take a look at it, when they get it up in the air they should be able to figure out where it's coming from.

That's what I did in my car just to confirm it is actually from the RMS. We put it up on a lift at the shop that did the work and we confirmed it's coming from the bell housing, very very quiet, but it's there.

Quick Reply: Chirping noise from transmission / flywheel