Sponsored by:

Tires for street(mostly) 6gt3

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:03 PM
speed12sil
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires for street(mostly) 6gt3

I did a search (well with google since the forum search is broken) and saw a thread back in April of last year and that seems to indicate that AD08 and the Pilot Super Cup are good choices for really stick street tires. But other than that I don't see much else so...

I have never been to any DE or track event, but do plan to attend a few this year if possible. The 6gt3 will be driven solely on weekend/DE, so tire wear is not a concern. However, I want to be able to drive in the wet too, as it's not a dedicated track car...I do want to stick to one set of tires for dual DE/street duty, but I am open to buying a second set of tires/wheels for DE if sticking to one set is just not going to work.

So, having said that, what are RListers' suggestions for tires?

Thanks,

Jon
Old 04-15-2013, 10:17 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by speed12sil
I did a search (well with google since the forum search is broken) and saw a thread back in April of last year and that seems to indicate that AD08 and the Pilot Super Cup are good choices for really stick street tires. But other than that I don't see much else so...

I have never been to any DE or track event, but do plan to attend a few this year if possible. The 6gt3 will be driven solely on weekend/DE, so tire wear is not a concern. However, I want to be able to drive in the wet too, as it's not a dedicated track car...I do want to stick to one set of tires for dual DE/street duty, but I am open to buying a second set of tires/wheels for DE if sticking to one set is just not going to work.

So, having said that, what are RListers' suggestions for tires?

Thanks,

Jon
Sport cups are sketchy in the wet, Nitto NT01 are good track but sketchy in standing water as they have very little void to evacuate standing water. Yokohama AD08 is a little less overall grip than the above two tires but are decent in the wet and standing water. I usually get 8 or so track days out of a set.

Peter
Old 04-16-2013, 12:05 AM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

I use Nitto NT-05s for street and wet track. Even dry track they last a long time.
Nitto NT-01s for track.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a set of ad08 on the way to me now..
Old 04-16-2013, 10:51 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 91 Posts

I use the Sumitomo HTR Z III for the street, less than $1000 a set. More than adequate for .7/.8 canyon carving. Have had them up to 145 on wide open backroads. Never had them on the track, so can't comment there.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:35 PM
TomGT3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If money is a concern go with the Sumitomo HTR/Hankook Ventus V12/Kumho,
If track performance, then with the conditions you stated above, AD-08 are a great
street tire for the track. The only tire I don't know much about is the Pirelli.

The other options are track tires which they don't advise (or allow) new drivers to use
at DEs.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:28 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

I have found the AD08 a great all arounder for both street and track duty. I have tracked on dry and wet with them and they held up very well. They are a tad bit noisy on the street though.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:29 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Sport cups are sketchy in the wet, Nitto NT01 are good track but sketchy in standing water as they have very little void to evacuate standing water. Yokohama AD08 is a little less overall grip than the above two tires but are decent in the wet and standing water. I usually get 8 or so track days out of a set.

Peter
8 track days on AD08's and then they cord or just loose grip?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:00 AM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have as et of AD08's on the way also. I

I've heard RS3's are really good, use a 285 in back. They are wide anyway, stick great and low cost.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:45 PM
mobilett
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Michelin PS2's are really good in my opinion. Great in the dry, and wet. They have never let me down.

Why not stick to factory Michelin tires?

Last edited by mobilett; 04-19-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:52 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Ps2 cost way too much for that old technology. If they were at a competitive price point, I'd consider them, but there's no way I'm paying $1500 when pilot super sports are far superior and cost hundreds less

It's a shame they don't make pas in 295/30/18
Old 04-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

The Hankook Ventus V12 are on my car now.

I pretty much hate them, but I bought a set and the front tread wear is not enough to be replaced, so I have bought another set of rears.

When they first hit the street they have a horrible amount of squirm at highway speed. Essentially the car oscillates all over the lane until you have put a few hundred miles on them.

Once you get some miles on the tread they settle down, but they never get anything like the OEM PS2s as far as side wall flex goes. However, the tires do stick well in a turn, they just feel somewhat squirmy. I find the slight squirm when turning annoying.

I think the Kumhos are a little better in this regard.

I ran Yokohamas AD08 prior to the Hankooks, which are better than both Hankooks and Kumhos. The Yokahamas are a little noisy. I would have run them again if they were available last year after the tsunami.

The Michelin PS2s have been the best for me, but the cost is high and we have more than our share of nails down here which PS2 must have magnets embedded into the tire.

So, my list from best to worst is:

PS2
AD08
Kumho
Hankook

I have not tried anything else in my 75K miles of street travel in my GT3.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Number54
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had AD08s which were okay before my first winter in Switzerland, and after it felt like they had no more grip. I have no idea why, perhaps time, perhaps the cold, and combined with a few track days. Anyway, I'm not sure if my experience is typical or normal!
Old 04-17-2013, 04:21 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Number54
I had AD08s which were okay before my first winter in Switzerland, and after it felt like they had no more grip. I have no idea why, perhaps time, perhaps the cold, and combined with a few track days. Anyway, I'm not sure if my experience is typical or normal!
AD08's do not take well to freezing temperatures.

Peter
Old 04-17-2013, 04:34 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marv
The Hankook Ventus V12 are on my car now.

I pretty much hate them, but I bought a set and the front tread wear is not enough to be replaced, so I have bought another set of rears.

When they first hit the street they have a horrible amount of squirm at highway speed. Essentially the car oscillates all over the lane until you have put a few hundred miles on them.

Once you get some miles on the tread they settle down, but they never get anything like the OEM PS2s as far as side wall flex goes. However, the tires do stick well in a turn, they just feel somewhat squirmy. I find the slight squirm when turning annoying.

I think the Kumhos are a little better in this regard.

I ran Yokohamas AD08 prior to the Hankooks, which are better than both Hankooks and Kumhos. The Yokahamas are a little noisy. I would have run them again if they were available last year after the tsunami.

The Michelin PS2s have been the best for me, but the cost is high and we have more than our share of nails down here which PS2 must have magnets embedded into the tire.

So, my list from best to worst is:

PS2
AD08
Kumho
Hankook

I have not tried anything else in my 75K miles of street travel in my GT3.
I test a lot of street tires as that is what we run in the One Lap of America.

The only thing PS2's are good for is Wet driving, important in FL, otherwise they are no better than the Sumitomo or Kumho. ADO8 is much more quiet than the PS2, over 2.5 sec a lap faster at Sebring than the PS2 and the AD08 stiff sidewall along with its heat tolerance makes it the best all around street tire available for the 6GT3 at this time. The new BFG Rival is coming in 6GT3 sizes and preliminary testing has it superior in the dry on track performance over the AD08. If that isn't enough info there is a Yokohama AD08R in Japan that may be coming to the US with preliminary testing of much better dry performance with the same tread pattern as the current AD08.

Peter

Quick Reply: Tires for street(mostly) 6gt3