Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: 2004 GT3 Carrara White

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 01:29 PM
mchott
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't rely on the integrity of all RLers...

Just wanted to vent to the group here since I'm guessing some of you could "feel my pain" - and it is somewhat parallel to mikelly's comments about bad behavior from potential buyers:

After several emails with some final questions yesterday, I made an offer to the "Tedster" yesterday afternoon at 4:22pm mountain time, which he indicated was a "fair offer". We then agreed to discuss payment and delivery arrangements this morning via phone.

I then received an email first thing this morning from the Tedster indicating that he had an email in his inbox yesterday that he hadn't seen from another buyer and a deposit had already been sent...

Don't know if this was just a sad coincidence after this car has been listed for 12 days (and the time stamp on jellonailers post is 10:28pm) - but I expected more from an RLer and PCA member...
Old 04-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts

^ ouch...
Old 04-02-2013, 04:13 PM
chakka
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I have been emailing Ted as well about the car and was getting close on purchasing it, but missed out. Seems like a straight-up guy(communication was very good) and because he is a PCA member/instructor and RLister why not give him the benefit of the doubt that this is a coincidence? I'm bummed as well to miss out on a great car, but it seems unfair to bad mouth him on here. Looks like he was trying to do the right thing.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:43 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

^ Agree 100%. Also communicating with him. Nice, straight-forward guy. Apparently, like me, doesn't check email every minute. For car sales, first deposit is first in line.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:16 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey everyone. Here's what happened, I know, I was there:

On the 21st I PM'd tedster. He responded, sent pictures and said - not sold yet, make me an offer.

The next day I left for China for a week and so I didn't engage. Communication, time zones, and the great firewall of China makes it to hard to put a deal together. Just pisses off the seller when you disappear for 2 days. So I just don't do it.

I got back just in time for Easter, life happens and now it's Monday and I get on RL. So after being stuck about 6 or 60 minutes on 996flt6 avatar, I can't remember, I decided it was fair deal becasue I feel an owner that maintains a special car should be compensated for that, so instead of bidding I decided to hit the ask. Its worth it to me.

I had the email so I just emailed a deposit, put my money on the table. When I didn't hear from him I called and said "Hi, I just bought your car, hopefully you have paypal because your email address has my deposit money. No April fools joke, check your bank account, cash deal let's get this done".

To be fair, he didn't know until I called him on my drive home from work, right about that time.

I've been on both sides of this kind of trade so I don't screw around with the last 1%, hell even the last 5%. It's the first 95% that hurts anyway. I'll spend more than that on tires this year.

Just my $0.02
Old 04-02-2013, 08:33 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

There's always two sides. These cars aren't civics. If you see one you want, move fast.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:41 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I can say that jellonailer is a fair and honorable person. I bought my 996 from him; car as described, met for a test drive, made my decision, conducted the transaction and transfer of funds. I was the easiest car buy that I have ever done. There were no haggling or talk of other buyers, we made our deal and that was it.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by kk2
There's always two sides. These cars aren't civics. If you see one you want, move fast.
+1
Old 04-02-2013, 09:47 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kk2
Bingo! And if there is money put down, I don't care who said they thought they were first. It goes to the person that steps up and puts money in my hand. I had a few guys pull that crap when I sold my 6Turbo to another RL'er. Got the "why didn't you contact me to get my best offer" bull**** when I posted SOLD! in the posting. I sold it to the first person that put cash in my bank account. Enough said.

Putting in an offer and putting down a deposit are 2 different animals. Deposit outranks. No time to dick around and worry about feelings in a transaction of this amount.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:05 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Bingo! And if there is money put down, I don't care who said they thought they were first. It goes to the person that steps up and puts money in my hand. I had a few guys pull that crap when I sold my 6Turbo to another RL'er. Got the "why didn't you contact me to get my best offer" bull**** when I posted SOLD! in the posting. I sold it to the first person that put cash in my bank account. Enough said.

Putting in an offer and putting down a deposit are 2 different animals. Deposit outranks. No time to dick around and worry about feelings in a transaction of this amount.
This. Cash shows intention more than anything. Seller lists a great car at a VERY good price, what more do people want? When shopping for sought after, low volume cars such as a 996 GT3, buyers should be prepared to act.......not just ask questions.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:38 PM
mchott
Track Day

Before this goes on much longer, here is where I think the "foul" was:

"That sounds like a fair offer. Can we talk tomorrow to set things up? I have business meetings this evening. Let me know what time works for you."

is very different than "send me a deposit and it's yours" or "let me consider that against my other offers". The former says to me I accept your offer and we'll work out the details tomorrow. If he would have asked for a deposit, I would have sent it - immediately.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:40 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Let it go
Old 04-02-2013, 11:29 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Well I have bought more than one or two cars in my day. If a well priced car shows up I want I pick up the phone and say I'll take, how large of a deposit would you like. Never lost a deal doing that, if money has not been exchanged there is no deal.
Phil
Old 04-03-2013, 02:04 AM
ex10psi
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
Let it go
+1
Old 04-03-2013, 11:04 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

I can vouch for Jellonailer as he has bought parts from me in the recent past and acts quickly when he sees value or wants something. Great guy that I have had the pleasure to speak with many times and super trustworthy as the parts he bought and paid for from me 3-4 mos ago still sit in my garage waiting for pick up or a get together.

My 3 was listed at midnight and I pm'd the seller a RLster probably 10 times and sent him several emails from the site. The ask price was $50k for a 20k mile well optioned car and he called me the following day around noon and I asked him what his best price was and he said 50k and not a penny less. I told him I would buy it and asked him what size of deposit he wanted and told him if a ppi checked out along with a visual inspection I would by the car. He said don't worry about the deposit just come and do your thing and buy the car if you want to. This made me a bit nervous that someone might buy it out from under me but in less than a week I was in AZ and brought her back.

I still feel I did very well on the purchase and love my car. Another will come around. The story gets a bit better as I am now where close to perfect. I did lose a prior car by negotiating to hard with the seller but I don't regret not buying that one. I guess the dry run lost attempt prepped me to pull the trigger faster and harder when the right one presented itself.

Quick Reply: FS: 2004 GT3 Carrara White