Sponsored by:

GT3 back seat

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 10:49 AM
blabla914
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 back seat

I wasnt interested in a back seat when I had the opportunity to lift the carpets on a gt3 myself and look, but what's stopping me from putting a 996 back seat in a GT3? Anybody done it? Search tool didn't give me anything promising.

Not to blow my own horn or anything, but I've got tools and skills. I'm not some bozo with a couple screw drivers in a bucket, so I can handle a bit of a project.

Appreciate the help.

Kelly

P.S. If your response to this is something along the lines of GT3's are all about lightweight, if you want a back seat you don't want one.....blablabla........just save us all a lot of time and don't bother responding.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:16 AM
runet
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 996 GT3 mk1 (MY2000), and I have put a seat belt in the rear to use a child seat in the back.
All the mounting points for belts and seats are there, except one: The single high mounting point for the seat back that the seat back locks on to when in upright position, this part is supposed to be screwed into a point on the side of the car. This point will have to be welded in place.

The bolt is marked part 3 in this picture, but I don't think there is anywhere to screw it into in a GT3:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...-05/817-75.php
Old 03-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Liability?

Insurance?
Old 03-10-2013, 03:42 PM
blabla914
Intermediate

Runet,

Thanks for your reply. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Did you weld in this attachment point or did you just put in belts?

Is the back of the inner rear quarter where this has to be welded accessible from inside the rear wheel well? What can i catch on fire while welding other than undercoat and paint? Do I have to put in one for each side? It doesnt look like it from the diagram you posted.

Thanks again for your help.

Kelly
Old 03-10-2013, 04:21 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Liability?

Insurance?
Bingo. To each his own but I'd never place my children in the back of a car that was NEVER made as a 4 seater. God forbid something happens to your children or occupants in the back during an accident, the insurance company has every right to tell you to pound sand and then you become personally liable. This is the very reason I added a 6Turbo to the stable.....to have a car with factory delivered rear seats. Now that the boys are both old enough to ride in boosters, they are able to ride in the 7GT3 with me. Only one can ride in the booster though, the other I zip tie to the roll bar.

To the OP, it all depends on how much you care to gamble.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:21 PM
runet
Racer

I will not comment on the liability or insurance issue in the US, each to their own. Security wise, there is no difference between a GT3 with OEM rear seats and any other Carrera/Turbo. The cars are the same, with the same strenght/security. Several 996 GT3 cars are registered in Europe as 4 seaters.

I have just put in the rear belts (for now), and will not add the seats if/before I need them. I'm allowed to carry children in the back of the car legally over here even if it is registered as a two seater, as long as childseats are used properly (i.e. with OEM seat belts) or with OEM back seats for children under 15 years old. So not having a liability issue, my only concern was safety. These cars are the same as any other 911 when it comes to safety for rear seat occupants, so I don't worry any more (or just as much) as with any other car.

In Europe (or in several contrys at least) the car can be registered as a 3 or 4 seater with the rear seats properly installed. Is this not possible in the US?

The welding (if it has to be done) is inside the car, on the side wall.
Here is a photo of the bolt sticking out when the seat is down:

Here is a car listed for sale with 4 seats:
http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat...rt=ALSO_EXPORT

Good luck :-)
Old 03-10-2013, 07:31 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by runet
Is this not possible in the US?
Have you not seen our litigious, pass the blame, take no responsibility, get rich quick style, frivolous, legal system that we have here in The Republic?

Can seats be installed? Of course. But when a car is sold, marketed, and manufactured as a 2 seat street legal race car, putting seats in that were NEVER an option nor a TSB for retrofit, then you tread at your own risk.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:46 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts

U know by passing this DIY on rear seat install on a car that hasn't been legalized if the stupid guy goes rt ahead- do install and crashes car with passengers in rear seat- u mite be held liable. Just saying. Mike
Old 03-10-2013, 07:49 PM
runet
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
Have you not seen our litigious, pass the blame, take no responsibility, get rich quick style, frivolous, legal system that we have here in The Republic?
Yes I have :-)

I have also seen all the hot-rods etc that looks like coffins on wheels with 500hp V8 engines and a rubber band to hold your butt in the front sofa. With plates. Weird stuff.

Jokes aside, liability is a serious issue not to be taken lightly. I carry a copy of the paragraph allowing me to carry children in the back with me in the car. I also have written confirmation from our traffic department as well that it is allowed, even when the car is registered as a two seater.

Here is a photo from my car before the rear belt where put in, the round indent in the side panel is where the bolt will go through and there (most likeliy) has to be welded in some threads:

You should check behind the panel in a car that has back seats how the mounting point is done.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:58 PM
runet
Racer

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
U know by passing this DIY on rear seat install on a car that hasn't been legalized if the stupid guy goes rt ahead- do install and crashes car with passengers in rear seat- u mite be held liable. Just saying. Mike
It's all in the Porsche workshop manual, so it's hardly a DIY, and as is clearly stated this is perfectly legal in europe.

But if it's necessary:
DON'T DO ANYTHING ILLEGAL.

So, there it is.

I guess you can take that view with every single part installed on a car that is not factory installed as well? How about aftermarket rollbars, wheels, suspension, brakes? Most GT3 owners have done some "upgrades", yes?
Old 03-10-2013, 08:02 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

There are a number of threads on this from long ago. A search will turn them up I'm sure.

-td
Old 03-10-2013, 08:11 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by runet
It's all in the Porsche workshop manual, so it's hardly a DIY, and as is clearly stated this is perfectly legal in europe.

But if it's necessary:
DON'T DO ANYTHING ILLEGAL.

So, there it is.

I guess you can take that view with every single part installed on a car that is not factory installed as well? How about aftermarket rollbars, wheels, suspension, brakes? Most GT3 owners have done some "upgrades", yes?
Those upgrades are for safety upgrades for the track : ). Can't say the same with rear seat install. Mike
Old 03-11-2013, 07:29 AM
blabla914
Intermediate

Dell - you make a good point about leaving yourself in a potentially un-insured position. I hadn't considered that. Thanks for you input.

Kelly
Old 03-11-2013, 07:31 AM
blabla914
Intermediate

Hmmm......yes a bit more diligence with the search tool popped up a few more threads. Not as good as what I got from runet though.

Thanks everyone.

Kelly
Old 03-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Number54
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What countries in Europe has this been done? Are there restrictions with clubsport models, or any car that has a TUV cage installed? I'm curious, because I'm in Switzerland, where the car authorities are both strict and incompetent. Took them a while to accept the bumperettes on my US model GT3, and the fact that some 996 parts start with 993 part numbers. I'd love to see their faces if I had back seats!

Quick Reply: GT3 back seat