996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I Buy this 996 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,312 Likes on 2,453 Posts
Default Should I Buy this 996 GT3?

I'm looking at buying a 2004 996 GT3 and would appreciate advice on whether to go for it.

The car has 63K miles and many of those are track miles. Current owner is the third owner and a friend. Second owner was a Porsche tech and instructor, who bought it from someone he had serviced the car for from day 1. No known accidents and cosmetic condition is very good inside and out. The car has a roll bar installed, 6-pts, etc.

Alignment has been set up by someone who knows these cars. Water pump has been replaced, and something was fixed with the AC. No known engine rebuild so far.

Drove it yesterday on the road, and it felt good, stable up to 5^3 mph, but couldn't push it too hard in corners because of cold temps. Asking price is $50K, and I suspect he'll take a few thousand less.

Main questions:

- What's the chance the engine will need a rebuild within the next ~20K miles? Any way to inspect/test for that now? What would a rebuild cost?

- Any other expensive work likely over the next ~20K miles? Or other concerns?

- What's it like to drive on track, compared to say a Cayman R, 997S, 997 GT3, etc.?

- Does the price sound right?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:47 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Does the price sound right? Not $50k for a 63K mile example that is mostly track miles. That's a crapload of track miles. You really need to have an independent shop look at the car, especially the health of the motor. During that inspection you really want to have a leakdown test done. Personally, I would not buy an example like that but that's just me. I'd rather spend a few grand more for a lower mile, less track example. If, and this is a big if, if I was to be interested in that car, it would be closer to $45K with that history knowing that I am closer to a rebuild that most others out there.

Where are you located? One of us that are more knowledgeable about these cars and how they should "feel" can take a look and drive it for you to give a better impression. I've done that several times for guys here.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:51 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I wouldn't let the miles be the deciding factor alone. As Dell said, you really need a PPI. And a thorough one at that. If he's willing to come down a few K, say to 47.5, then there isn't a lot of delta to get to 45K.

Probably preaching to the choir, but be sure you go in with eyes wide open. Any car with 60K+ miles could be a money pit! Especially one that has hard track miles.

-td
Old 02-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

I'd point him to this thread and maybe ask him to cover the cost of a THOROUGH PPI. Leak down/compression and full inspection of the drivetrain, suspension, brakes, ECU scans. I'd want to know everything about it. These cars are rare. Getting rarer every day. But still, you need to make sure you're not getting into a $20K rebuild on a $50K purchase. All the sudden you're squarly in 997.1 territory and possibly kicking yourself if the 997 is your thing.

Mike
Old 02-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Does the price sound right? Not $50k for a 63K mile example that is mostly track miles. That's a crapload of track miles. You really need to have an independent shop look at the car, especially the health of the motor. During that inspection you really want to have a leakdown test done. Personally, I would not buy an example like that but that's just me. I'd rather spend a few grand more for a lower mile, less track example. If, and this is a big if, if I was to be interested in that car, it would be closer to $45K with that history knowing that I am closer to a rebuild that most others out there.

Where are you located? One of us that are more knowledgeable about these cars and how they should "feel" can take a look and drive it for you to give a better impression. I've done that several times for guys here.
Originally Posted by himself
I wouldn't let the miles be the deciding factor alone. As Dell said, you really need a PPI. And a thorough one at that. If he's willing to come down a few K, say to 47.5, then there isn't a lot of delta to get to 45K.

Probably preaching to the choir, but be sure you go in with eyes wide open. Any car with 60K+ miles could be a money pit! Especially one that has hard track miles.

-td
Originally Posted by Mikelly
I'd point him to this thread and maybe ask him to cover the cost of a THOROUGH PPI. Leak down/compression and full inspection of the drivetrain, suspension, brakes, ECU scans. I'd want to know everything about it. These cars are rare. Getting rarer every day. But still, you need to make sure you're not getting into a $20K rebuild on a $50K purchase. All the sudden you're squarly in 997.1 territory and possibly kicking yourself if the 997 is your thing.

Mike
Thanks all for the advice.

Spending ~$50K followed by another $20K soon is exactly what I want to avoid, since 997.1 GT3 would likely be my preference at that point. Will get a thorough PPI with the leakdown/compression tests before making an offer.

I'm in the Baltimore area and the car is near Summit Point, WV. Will likely pick up the car and bring it back to Baltimore to get the PPI done by my local shop.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:24 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

Was talking to Serge the other night.... he told me that the 83k miles 996 GT3 in San Diego (no track miles, was owned by a physician who drove it to work) sold for $35k. That was a steal but if most of those miles really are on the track, I'd want to be closer to $40k then build yourself a nice 4 liter. Any extras... a set of wheels? Suspension upgrades?
Old 02-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tlarocque
Was talking to Serge the other night.... he told me that the 83k miles 996 GT3 in San Diego (no track miles, was owned by a physician who drove it to work) sold for $35k. That was a steal but if most of those miles really are on the track, I'd want to be closer to $40k then build yourself a nice 4 liter. Any extras... a set of wheels? Suspension upgrades?
No extra wheels, but some extra seats I can't probably use, brake pads, shocks, and few other minor things.

Quick Reply: Should I Buy this 996 GT3?