Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joe T. 996 GT3 Dive Planes

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 08:03 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I got impatient. Car is going to the shop tomorrow so I put some double sided sticky tape on the canards so my mechanic knows where I want them fastened. Don't mind the white outlines, that's just the tape.

The large one fits pretty much flush all the way. The top one (I guess only relevant if you are putting it higher due to a double decker config like mine) has a good gap towards the top end. Never put it lower to see if it fits flush like the large one, but conceptually it should. The gap will be closed when we put the mounting plates behind and tighten it up.

Pics:

Old 05-05-2013, 09:57 PM
2000gt3cup
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that splitter from Joe as well ? if not where did you get it.. i would like to purchase one.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:04 AM
wanna911
Race Car

The splitter itself is a ruf replica from ebay. The was then a lip spoiler attached. This was done at home by accelerator (forum member). I bought it from him as a complete unit. Goldcrest modified it and cleaned it up s bit and attached a cup undertray. I proceeded to break the original small lip loading into trailer and made another myself.

The rods insall easily into the front bumper support with Allen key.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:13 AM
dacbap
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that was quick, thanks for the pics, looks great, like to hear feedback after your track session and how different it felt, did you run before with the splitter or was that new too? Thanks,
Old 05-06-2013, 03:19 PM
wanna911
Race Car

I have had the splitter for several years. I have had the cup undertray for a little over a year, that helped some too, but not as much as the splitter itself. Car pushed like a pig in high speed turns (Road Atlanta Turn 12 and Esses entry) over 110 mph.

Then I got some of the Sierra Composites dive planes, had them for a year but didn't install until November last year. They are much shorter and wider. They made a HUGE difference in high speed balance! I was going to get a second set of those, but I think they closed,and even if they didn't, they were a pain to get in touch with and moved really slow.

So now I will see how much of an upgrade these doubles are over the Sierra Composites. My rear wing is 61 inches.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:05 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
I have had the splitter for several years. I have had the cup undertray for a little over a year, that helped some too, but not as much as the splitter itself. Car pushed like a pig in high speed turns (Road Atlanta Turn 12 and Esses entry) over 110 mph.

Then I got some of the Sierra Composites dive planes, had them for a year but didn't install until November last year. They are much shorter and wider. They made a HUGE difference in high speed balance! I was going to get a second set of those, but I think they closed,and even if they didn't, they were a pain to get in touch with and moved really slow.

So now I will see how much of an upgrade these doubles are over the Sierra Composites. My rear wing is 61 inches.
Very much looking forward to your feedback.

I put on a 60' Crawford wing this year, and the rear end is nicely hooked (although I also did JRZ').

I have the tiny Sierra flicks, as can be seen in my pic, and also have a yet to be installed Crawford splitter.

This stacked set up might be the way to go.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:56 PM
88 Club Sport
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

So I finished the backside (multiple coats of high build primer) and painted them Lapis and installed them with 3m tape. They look good.

Question: Are people finding the 3M is good enough for track duty? I'm off to Pueblo next week and I'd hate to come home without them.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:01 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Joe - PM sent today. I am eager to buy a set just like Craig above (88 Club Sport). Please let me know.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:14 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there any data for downward pressure at a given speed?
Old 07-17-2013, 11:38 PM
911S4
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Installed Joe's splitter to replace my cup car splitter and am very pleased with the feel of the car now as the front end seems to be in much better balance with my RS rear wing shimmed to 4 degrees.

Just got back from Road America last night and had the best track event yet, with much less push to the front end as the car turns in much better now and bites.

Going to install the canards for the next event and will see if they make any difference to how the car feels.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:13 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Default My Dive planes painted and installed - Thanks Joe!

I like the dive planes and think they look great. Did it mainly to complete my RS 4.0 tribute look, but they may add a little aero on track...

BTW, not that it matters at all but I use the OEM GT3 wheels, as well as a set of Volkls, for the track. I don't street the car much and these OEM 18" Cup 3's (993 Turbo), wheels are just leftover from a 986-S I had so I use them on street. They are just functional, not my favorite wheel on the car.

Addition: Being the pic post ***** I am I attached a few more pics of the car to show the RS 4.0 tribute I went for. I'm happy with it for now. It makes the car a bit more fun and especially in the paddock and on track. It is a bit rowdy for the street but I don't street this car much, I mostly drive my 931 on a Sunday romp. I welcome comments. Probably not for everyone but I tried to stay OEM look as much as possible, and didn't re-badge the car in anyway at all (I wouldn't want to be that guy...). it all comes off easy if I change my mind.

lastly - I know, I need to run at least the factory front splitter...car came with a Cup splitter hard bolted on (WT^$%^@!), and I ripped it off, going off track....not my last excursion "past" the limit i'm sure.

Full circle: hopefully these planes/canards will give me a "little" bit a turn-in love...
Attached Images      

Last edited by CanyonBlaster; 09-15-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:48 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 204 Posts

How are people mounting the canards? I hope to do mine this weekend.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:05 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Joe said track cars are using bolt or rivets. Street cars using tape.

I want a set but might hold off to package with the new splitter design.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
How are people mounting the canards? I hope to do mine this weekend.
We pulled off the bumper cover and put a plate behind the cover. Todd then fixed the rear facing point to the car and made two front points. That way we can alter the downforce from some to max. Get with Todd he did it on both mine. They do work very very well btw...
Old 09-19-2013, 02:54 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Glen,

With your setup, can you remove them pretty easily since it sounds like you are using bolts?

Quick Reply: Joe T. 996 GT3 Dive Planes