Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Them some Big Brakes !
Old 12-25-2012, 10:51 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NXI20
There's a LOT more torque; peak is 335 ft/lbs which is the same as the RS 4.0 however that was measured on the standard exhaust which has shown itself to be a major bottleneck to allowing the engine to breathe freely at the top end. Max power was seen at 6500RPM and no matter what we did to the advance & fueling, it wouldn't make more than 410BHP. I'm not that bothered as this year was a shakedown year for the engine & it took me a long time to zero in on the exact exhaust system that would give enough breathing and still stay within the noise requirements of circuits here in the UK. Happily, we now have the exhaust and the engine has been stripped for inspection. This has revealed a quality control issue on a couple of the liners & pistons, all of which have been extracted & sent back to the manufacturer for rectification.

It's all due to go back together in January when it should be making around 450BHP assuming the exhaust does what it is supposed to
Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear you’re enjoying the extra power and torque. If your car was making 410 HP at the wheels, you were probably close to 450 HP at the crank with whatever exhaust was on at the time. A near-3000 lb 6-3 (doable with LW wheels, seats, exhaust and battery) with 450HP is a sweet setup.

Here in the US, Sharwerks offers a 3.9L upgrade for the 6-3 ( http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/996-ca...40-wheels.html ). For a heavily-tracked car that’s in need of a motor refresh, this seems like a great alternative to a stock rebuild.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Sold my 2011 gt3 rs and a bought a fully prepped 04 gt3 track car. Fits like glove. Couldn't be happier. Highly recommend it.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's one for you...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...480146530.html
Old 12-26-2012, 08:07 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 73 Posts

Yes, PURE hyperbole. Because a car has been tracked doesn't equal "abused". Macster, YOU are not a trackday guy, and YOU have constantly attacked those of us who are. YOU want to scare people off cars that have been driven as the manufacturer intended. I've had students who wouldn't come within 1K rpms of redline and who were so careful shifting that they couldn't get a good rythme on corner entry. It's comments like yours through this board and elsewhere that distort fact with fiction.

A track driven car, driven by amatures at a trackday will NEVER be driven at 100%. Your lack of knowledge about DE events and the fact that students spend more of their time at LESS THAN 50% of capability of the car shows more of your LACK of accurate information.

Porsches are meant to be tracked. ESPECIALLY GT3s. You clearly are not a fan of using these cars as intended, so I have no clue why you even post in these threads, other than to sideline fact with your obviously biased fiction.

Mike Kelly

Originally Posted by Macster
"Pure hyperbole and opinion"? And your opinion that tracking is harmless?

A tracked engine/car is asked to perform at a much higher level than one not tracked. This can only take its toll on the engine/running gear, the entire car.

The only people who claim tracking is harness have tracked cars they hope to unload on some poor unsuspecting buyer some day.

A typical street driven car's engine spends the bulk of its time operating at 30% or less of its max. output. A track driven car obviously spends the bulk of its time operating at near 100% of its max. output.

The difference in stress is not linear so a 25K mile tracked car that has operated at near 100% output for those miles does not have just the equivalent of 83K miles but many more miles.

The only opinion and hyperbole being engaged in here is those who claim tracking is benign.

As an owner of car that has been tracked you can believe tracking is harmless, believe anything you want. But a prospective buyer should not.

A prospective buyer can still buy a tracked car. His choice. But should he pay the same money for a 25K mile tracked car as a 25K car driven on the street (all other things being the same)? No.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:06 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Mike, quit feeding the trolls.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,414 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly

Porsches are meant to be tracked.

Mike Kelly
bull****. Can they be tracked? sure. Are they track cars? not a chance in hell.

any car that shoots its coolant fittings out of the block is dodgy at best.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:54 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It depends on the car, records, driver.
I wouldn't fear a good gt3 that had been tracked as long as it checked out and was priced accordingly.
This is fully understanding the wear and tear on the engine/LSD etc.
In fact I almost bought a 997.2 gt3.
C
Old 12-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

A GT3 is meant to be tracked. Otherwise buy yourself a C2S and take it to the track on occasion and have fun. With some minor tweeks a GT3 is a monster affordable track car that will be competitive with far more expensive cars. Here is a vid of me in my 04 GT3 Converted race car taking on my friends 150k 360 Challenge. Mine cost 45k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpGDIuXrRwU
Old 12-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al HURT123
A GT3 is meant to be tracked. Otherwise buy yourself a C2S and take it to the track on occasion and have fun. With some minor tweeks a GT3 is a monster affordable track car that will be competitive with far more expensive cars. Here is a vid of me in my 04 GT3 Converted race car taking on my friends 150k 360 Challenge. Mine cost 45k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpGDIuXrRwU
nice video, love the save!
Old 12-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Thanks Paseb. I see you are from Montreal - I'm orginally from Toronto. Vid is from Sebring. We're spolied here; 4 tracks with close driving distance. If you have never been see bring you owe it to yourself to make the trip. I may be shipping my car to Mosport for the summer and hit a few track days there. Never been.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 73 Posts

Mkay...

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
bull****. Can they be tracked? sure. Are they track cars? not a chance in hell.

any car that shoots its coolant fittings out of the block is dodgy at best.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:10 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al HURT123
Thanks Paseb. I see you are from Montreal - I'm orginally from Toronto. Vid is from Sebring. We're spolied here; 4 tracks with close driving distance. If you have never been see bring you owe it to yourself to make the trip. I may be shipping my car to Mosport for the summer and hit a few track days there. Never been.
You will love Mosport. That, Calabogie, and Tremblant are all within about 6 hours of each other (not as bad as it sounds).

Let me know if you need any local help or guidance. You can pm for my e-mail address and go from there.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

if we can get some insurance coverage for both my dad and I cars, we will come down to sebring late january or febuary. There is a big DE at sebring but i can't remember the date..
Old 12-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paseb
if we can get some insurance coverage for both my dad and I cars, we will come down to sebring late january or febuary. There is a big DE at sebring but i can't remember the date..
The big de is winterfest with pboc at Sebring. Awesome event jan 10-13. Feb is the pca 48hour of Sebring. I'll be at winterfest. 48hour is sold out.

Quick Reply: Opinions on buying a tracked 996 GT3