Sponsored by:

RING and PINION

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 03:49 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,510 Likes on 2,282 Posts

regear will give u more lap time imprivemnt than RP.
u must regear based on trk u visit. custom gear sort of.
RP is usually 4.0. that's that. u have exact the SAME prob as b4, just one gear higher up. I had no improvement.

stop modding, just drive faster.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah. I'm one of few 6-3's hanging with de cup boys. Their hp advantage makes it tough to keep up. Figured while the engine is out cheat a little.

Charles exhaust on order

Don't want to strip yet But prob will.

Btw hadn't modded on several carreras except for gt3 control arms for 7 yrs. then got this gt3 and fell off cliff.

Mike
Old 11-24-2012, 06:04 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Dell should speak up. I seem to remember him giving an estimate of his lap time improvements at VIR from re-gearing his 6-GT3.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:30 PM
452gt3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Just my opinion but I think if you are running tracks where you are able too stay in the power band with your current gearing then improvement will be minimal. If you are racing the improvement can be much more noted because running in traffic you will be driving different than a time trial lap.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:34 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,807 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Originally Posted by 452gt3
Just my opinion but I think if you are running tracks where you are able too stay in the power band with your current gearing then improvement will be minimal. If you are racing the improvement can be much more noted because running in traffic you will be driving different than a time trial lap.
In my opinion, the only tracks that fit that description would be ones with no 2nd gear corners (hole between 2nd and 3rd is vast and only a gearing change, not R&P, will change that).
Old 11-27-2012, 01:41 PM
On Pole
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made the mistake twice with the R&P. Re-gear!!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:41 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,510 Likes on 2,282 Posts

Originally Posted by On Pole
I made the mistake twice with the R&P. Re-gear!!
wow, dont i feel good today.
found someone dumber
i only made the mistake once
Old 11-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
wow, dont i feel good today.
found someone dumber
i only made the mistake once

After seeing the results the first time why would you try it again. I assume you did a 996 and then a 7.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:07 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Seems like the R&P is universally hated
Old 11-29-2012, 12:21 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Gonna forgo gear change.

Save for a cup or just enjoy the 6-3.

Thx guys

Let you know about Charles exhaust when I get it.

Mike
Old 11-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I did the 4.0 R&P change and am happy with it, but I have to admit I'm not watching lap times, and I never drove my car with the stock R&P, so I don't have a true comparison with my car. But I've been in a number of stock-geared 996 GT3s, and my qualitative impression is that for the four tracks around the northwest, all of which have at least one 2nd gear corner (some have several), the lowering of 2nd gear is a big benefit -- however that can best be done. The gap between 2nd and 3rd is not the problem for me -- it's the stock 2nd gear ratio. If it bogs coming out of a corner, you're dead. Regearing is great if you want to afford it, but the 4.0:1 R&P solves the 2nd gear problem for me and pulls all the ratios down a notch, which gives a more usable range to the stock gears. Plus, it's fun...

I can't comment on the longevity of the 4.0 R&P either, but for as little as I get to drive, it will probably last a lifetime. My guess is that a large number of casual track rats like me would get a perfectly acceptable service life out of it. So unlike the naysayers here, I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was a budget-conscious way of improving second gear substantially.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:02 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Thx rob.

Think gonna go the lightening route next.

And of course more coaching.

Mike
Old 11-30-2012, 03:24 AM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

stop modding, just drive faster.
Right you are

***** and skill > $$$ spent
Old 05-31-2013, 10:32 AM
jgorscak
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a 996 GT3 I'm thinking about regearing. Can you send me the chart that you wrote about on this link? jgorscak78@gmail.com

Thanks!!

Originally Posted by GBoxguys
So I think I have a pretty good setup for you here. Push your 5th gear into the 6th gear position, which is a 1.0 ratio gear set. Then get the 1.31 gear set for your 4th gear and 1.1333 for your 5th gear and I think you will be golden.

Send me your email address and I will send you the chart. These two gears are available from Porsche Motorsport, so please no flames from anyone saying I am trying to sell anything here. LOL

Just trying to be helpful. Let me know what you think on this.

Erik Johnson
Old 05-31-2013, 01:03 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob S
I did the 4.0 R&P change and am happy with it, but I have to admit I'm not watching lap times, and I never drove my car with the stock R&P, so I don't have a true comparison with my car. But I've been in a number of stock-geared 996 GT3s, and my qualitative impression is that for the four tracks around the northwest, all of which have at least one 2nd gear corner (some have several), the lowering of 2nd gear is a big benefit -- however that can best be done. The gap between 2nd and 3rd is not the problem for me -- it's the stock 2nd gear ratio. If it bogs coming out of a corner, you're dead. Regearing is great if you want to afford it, but the 4.0:1 R&P solves the 2nd gear problem for me and pulls all the ratios down a notch, which gives a more usable range to the stock gears. Plus, it's fun...

I can't comment on the longevity of the 4.0 R&P either, but for as little as I get to drive, it will probably last a lifetime. My guess is that a large number of casual track rats like me would get a perfectly acceptable service life out of it. So unlike the naysayers here, I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was a budget-conscious way of improving second gear substantially.

This is my exact experience and why I like the 4.0 R&P for my 997gt3. It is so track dependant but if you visit tracks where you get into 2nd that is the big difference and then you are really then moving between 4th and 3rd where the drop is much better. But it then also really matters where you hit the limiter at critical points on the track. At Mosport, a change to a 4.0 is perfect - everything works perfectly - at other tracks you run out of 3rd and then 4th at the wrong times. For me at Mosport it is worth 1 second but that is because the gearing works.

Example
- coming out of 5B you get to launch hard out of 2nd for a short perfect launch - then 3rd, 4th and 5th redlines into braking zone in #8
- coming out of #10 in 3rd gear corner you are too low in the rpms for OE r&p - but the 4.0 r&P changes this = more hp
- power is not an issue for 1&2 so there is no difference
- but coming out of #3 you take in 3rd for better power and then hit the limiter in 4th going over #4
- those little changes add up to almost 1 second - but only because it works out perfectly

if i'm correct, the OE gearing + the 4.0 makes 5th hit the limiter at 155mph which is perfect for places like WG, VIR, Mosport - at WG you never use 2nd and I found that for those critical places the 3rd also works with the 4.0 - the only place I think I struggled was leaving the bus stop and taking the outer loop - the OE 3rd was perfect to take as you redlined into 6th braking zone but with the 4.0 you need to be in 4th - so I have no idea if the 4.0 is faster than OE at WG - I would say yes

Quick Reply: RING and PINION