Sponsored by:

VIR Video

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 10:28 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
My bad, I assumed when you said they should be taken flat, that you were speaking from personal experience. The only way you are going to go flat in the esses in a 6GT3 is with a Cup, new slicks, and huge attachments. Even then, I'm not sure you can be flat. You have to breath to settle the nose going into T7 and then again you need to lift to settle nose between T8 and T9.

In a Rolex Continental car you could but not in these cars.
Ok, that's what I meant by flat with throttle steer. The big challenge is to get the timing right.

One thing that David Murry told us was to think of the esses as two right turns. It really helped me to figure it out... "figure it out", not perfect it. I'll have to go back a few times for that
Old 11-12-2012, 10:32 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Well come on back! We'll definitely have some fun.

BTW, throttle steer and flat are not the same thing
Old 11-12-2012, 01:59 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paseb
nice vid john, good car control,

hope to try that track someday
Seb,

As you said, we got to get you to VIR. You will love it great track and a great way for Northener's to extend the season, or start it earlier. Look to March.

Originally Posted by mkk62
Nice video. Hope to get there one day.

Our best events coming winter time in fl!

Mk
Thanks mkk, Florida maybe next winter.

Pro:
smooth driving

Con (both safety related):
Harnesses but no HANS?
Consistent running across blend line

Let's hook up at the March event and we can work on line, shift points, etc. overall, not bad at all and with a few tweaks to line, braking pts, shift pts, and larger attachments you'll be screaming around VIR
Dell, right on with the HANs, that will be resolved this winter. This season I just couldn't run with it due to the DAS roll bar set up, it was too painful. Maybe I can use it as an excuse for being timid on the throttle.

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I don't mean to be to critical but 2:15s are not fast on VIR, not in a GT3. We were turning 2:12s in semi-stock 99 C5 corvettes. Dell has a good baseline for bonestock GT3 times, but I'd expect a 2:10-2:12 "average" consistant lap and that's not ***** out. His lap 2 was a 2:12 and that looked good. Third was a 2:12 is as well...

Like Dell Said, Smooth steering inputs but def. leaving a wholelot on the table in braking and throttle pick-up mid corner. Line was also the "safe" DE line.

Mike
Best lap I had for the event was a high 2.09 my tires were pretty much done by this session. I know there is time to be had with quicker throttle and adjusting the line for example going into RC, brake later extend the straight, come in more track right, rotate and gas. Something to work on.

Definetly would benefit from sitting right seat with someone who knows the way.

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
As other mentioned you are very smooth, but you are also very timid on throttle application. I've actually found GT3s much more under control while they are under throttle, especially in the uphill esses and coming around rollercoaster and hog pen.

Here is some of my video from VIR just as another point of view.
https://vimeo.com/24641103
Ivan, agree re throttle, during this session I was using more brake going into the esses, worring about the tires tailing off, and I could definetly feel the car not nearly as happy when you go in harder on the gas, car is much more planted then.

Originally Posted by Ken89911T
I couldn't go

Tried to sign up too late. Looks like you guys had a great time. Maybe March next year.
Ken,

Carolina's is there this weekend, just a thought.

Originally Posted by FFaust
Good to see you back in the saddle John

I love VIR.

John, I see you "coasting" into the esses and through Roller Coaster. Esses should be taken flat, with throttle steer to rotate the car. More gas on the way down RC, brake for 16, then on the gas through Hog Pen and all the way to T1.

Also seem to be a bit timid from 2 to 3, and through 5, 5A.

BTW, http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2012...rackguide.html
Francois,

Agree with you re coasting into the esses, but at RC I'm actually fairly hard on the gas, just not that much grunt at that point in the torque curve. Maybe should be in second or carry more entry speed.

For this event, I picked up 2 seconds from my previous best, most of which was faster entry in the esses and the RC - HP section. That said I know I can be faster in both. My comfort level in both those sections are up considerably.

Thanks for the comments guys, I will certainly put them to good use in March.

Also, kudos to Steve (Boinkus) the guy I was following through this vid, this was Steve's second day at the track and was doing awesome.

Cheers,

J
Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry we will miss you this weekend at VIR John but looks like you had a blast.

My best is a 211 with stock suspension and NT01s and I freely admit to *****-footing it in a few spots. Chasing Dell I may be able to eek out a second or two more. Mike Skeen turned a theoretical 206 in my car. Woof. For me though, 211, 210,209, 215 - its more about having fun at this point, not bending anything, and driving back home!
Old 11-13-2012, 11:40 AM
Boinkus44
Racer

I'm a little late to the thread, but many thanks to John for helping me get intro'd to VIR and for giving me a target to chase. It was my first time to VIR but won't be my last. VIR has some very unique and challenging nuances that - I think - can only really be mastered with the benefit of many laps. It's now getting crowded at the top of my favourite track list.....

It was a blast having another (black no less ) 6GT3 to drive with, and those were some of the most fun sessions I had all season. I can attest that John's tires were basically shot for the video'd session while I was on almost new Hoosiers so definite grip advantage to Boinkus.

The bar (Dell's 2:07 ) is high, but good to know what the 6GT3 platform can do when well set up and well driven. It's also good to hear the comments and advice from some of the VIR vets. Great info that will be put into practice next time at VIR. Lot's to think about over the winter. Strip/cage or ..........
Old 11-13-2012, 11:48 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

As another point of reference.

2:07's in stock form with only Nittos and it took a while to break 2:10.
2:03's in setup form with rubber removed from suspension and running R6's. I also ran a set of 230F 280R used Yoko slicks to that time. Yes you read correct, 280R However, I was stuck in the 205's for some time until I decided to get data acquisition and start understanding how I could use it to better my lap times.

Make no mistake, when I first got my first GT3, breaking 2:15 was damn near impossible. The car lets you know that if you are not smooth and methodical with her, she will bite. Once y'all bond and become one, the sky is the limit

It also helps that I have had thousands of laps at VIR so knowing the track intimately helps with the little things that get you a tenth here and a tenth there.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Enjoy! This one gets my heart racing every time I watch it. It is the one video I watch before every trip to VIR.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Holy crap ! 2:03's with used 280R slicks.... Those were seriously fast laps. Good to know they car has the talent for those sorts of times, but unfortunately the driver is the weak link in my case.

BTW, was your 3 re-geared because that's a lot more shifting than I could do with my stock box.

Thanks for posting.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Yes, the box was re-geared for gears 3-6 bringing the top speed down to about 176. Wasn't perfect as it was a compromise between 2 tracks that I use a lot but it still made driving much more fun with all the extra shifting
Old 11-13-2012, 04:30 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I wish VIR is closer.. (still drive to track) Would love to visit one of these days.. !
Old 11-13-2012, 04:31 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

The hour drive for us is brutal
Old 11-13-2012, 04:34 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I was able to do 2 "away" tracks (Calabogie and Mt. Tremblant, 3 days each) this year because I went with a friend (whose wife drove a support vehicle for us and took our track tires / tools in her SUV).. but VIR is 10+ hours away.. not so sure about a road trip.. !
Old 11-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

14+ hours for me but definitely worth it. I can do without the towing in the snow though.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:50 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Originally Posted by SH || NC
Sorry we will miss you this weekend at VIR John but looks like you had a blast.

its more about having fun at this point, not bending anything, and driving back home!
^ Right on with this. I want improvement in a measured almost planned way.

Scott, will miss you guys too, but if you have a moment lookup some of my TRM friends who will be there and give them a hi from me. Mike K will be there taking delivery of his newly built cayman with the Patron Tequila livery along with Dave & Sarah; they'll be the couple with the two Lotus'. Very nice folks. Mike was kind enough to invite a bunch of us to Monticello a couple weeks ago.

Looking foward to seeing you again in March.

Originally Posted by Boinkus44
The bar (Dell's 2:07 ) is high, but good to know what the 6GT3 platform can do when well set up and well driven. It's also good to hear the comments and advice from some of the VIR vets.

+1 Thanks for sharing the knowledge everyone. Our time on the track is very limited, so the more you know going in, the better the outcome.

Once y'all bond and become one, the sky is the limit
Old 11-13-2012, 06:52 PM
JohnPG
Racer

The hour drive for us is brutal
Anatomical Expletive

Quick Reply: VIR Video