Sponsored by:

New Pads = Brake Shimmy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 05:33 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PointBy
There is a fix for judder. Step one is to remove the old judder pad material from the discs. You could machine the discs or use a cold race pad. Most people recommend to use Hawk Blue, which is an aggressive race pad, If you brake gently at low speeds while those pads are cold they will strip off the old pad material... and some of the disc. Once the judder is completely gone, swap back in the pads you want to run and bed them in according to the mfr's instructions.

Other methods may work, but are not generally reliable.
+1 this is the best without swapping to new rotors
Old 11-08-2012, 05:17 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Originally Posted by gator9_911
Rookie GT3 question.....still learning the car after 5 months.

Just installed new PFC 08 pads all around. New Pads...old discs. Under sudden or "brushing" of the brakes...the front end shimmies in my hand. I will hear a slight squeal/whistle as I started to brake...and then the shimmy in the front end. If I jumped on the brakes...the wheel would literally jump to one side. In hard brake zones (145 -> 70mph) the car had plenty of brake...but would move around/shift in the front end. Enough to make sure you are wide awake and paying attention.

I previously ran Pagid Black pads all around. Is this normal? I have read a lot about having to brake the old discs in with the new rotors as they make their "mark". It did get a little better when I went easier on the brakes. These pads bite a lot more up top then my old ones and I had to actually back down the pressure.

Any suggestions or lessons learned would be great. Thanks!
Same thing happened to me when I went from the POS Pagid yellows to the PFC 08s. I bedded them on the way to the track but still had the judder in the first 20 minute track session. After I let the brakes cool, went out again and the judder was gone half way though the 2nd session. The brakes have been flawless ever since. Just give it some time and just use the brakes hard and that should get rid of the old pad material deposited on the rotors...
Old 11-08-2012, 09:30 AM
gator9_911
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I appreciate all the advice. It appears that a long hard day at Sebring last weekend did the trick. I tried my best to hang myself from my belts on all the braking zones. I didn't get any of the judder/shake anymore. Maybe they just needed time and abuse..I mean use.

I still get a little sound (high pitch squeal/whistle?) when I first apply them...but does not seem to affect performance or feel. Goes away as I lean harder into the brake.

Quick Reply: New Pads = Brake Shimmy?