Sponsored by:

Stiffer rear sway on 996 GT-3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stiffer rear sway on 996 GT-3?

Hey was talking with a knowledgeable guy today about the understeer in the 6-GT3 .He suggested going to a stiffer rear sway bar..I have recently installed The Goldcrest Front splitter and increased rake to the rear both of which have helped.
Has anyone gone to a stiffer rear sway and what's the verdict.It certainly seems like it would help but I would think fixing the end that isn't 't working right might be better.I am running the Motion Control double remotes and springs are 850F 1000R Thanks in advance HOM
Old 10-07-2012, 08:23 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

What's the rest of your setup? You have a lot of tools to adjust with currently ( camber, shocks, bars) you are saying you've worn out all of those options and still looking for more rotation?

Some of it is going to boil down t driver preference too but I have the same spring split as you only softer (600 /750) and run my rear bar soft or 1 from soft depending on the track.

Where are you looking for more rotation? Entry, middle after picking up the gas? Exit under hard throttle?

Health of your LSD?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Andy,thanks for your response!The issue IS NOT rotation ,however,you raise the same question that is in my mind.Seems to me a stiffer rear bar is going to move the car towards oversteer.What I am trying to dial out is high speed understeer .The goldcrest splitter and raising the rear ride height(5 mil)have helped and so far oversteer is no big deal.Per my previous post I am running 16 way MCS remotes (doubles)850 front springs and 1000 rear.I am running the stock bars full soft all the way around and am on the r888.Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome!Lastly the high speed understeer is more on corner exit below say 120 it's not an issue.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Forgot to mention LSD is Guards unit
Old 10-07-2012, 09:18 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Hummm. Understeer only above 120 would certainly point more towards aero not that you couldn't adjust other things to fix it but you'd compromise other areas in the process.

Less rear wing or are you already on stock wing with no shims?

Convert front bumper to RS spec, tilt center rad, block off bottom vents. That's supposed to help reduce front lift at speed. Not sure if your splitter already does this or not though.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Andy ,yeah I think the Goldcrest splitter is adding a fair amount of additional down force.I originally thought when I added more front DF that I would need more wing but the 4 mil shims made for even more understeer !Anyway you think the RS bumper cover is helpful ?What does tilting the center radiator do?TIA HOM
Old 10-07-2012, 10:46 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Agree with everything Andy says.

I have a bit of the same issue, but "a push is always better than over-rotation" according to drivers a lot better than me, and I agree. You can always lift a touch to help keep it on track.

I feel it at the exit of high speed corners (T2 Mosport), and have to nail the line, or adjust it a bit to get a good track out.

Last year, my first in the GT3, I thought that the car pushed 'a lot', but now not so much. The rad was already tilted and had the top bumper openings, but I only closed the bottom vents this year. The car now feels a bit more planted at top speeds, but it could be in my head, as I get more comfy.

Early in the year, I tried the 8 degree shims for a few laps, and felt that the car pushed a bit more, so went back to the 4's.

I am surprised that your bars are full soft all around, typo? Counter-intuitively, my bars are full stiff in front, and one from stiff in back => loose is fast. The setup was done by a GT3/Cup-only, race shop.

I assume that you meant stiffer rear setting, as opposed to replacing the bar itself since you are at full soft currently and could simply adjust.

Maybe all we need is wider rubber in the front...
Old 10-07-2012, 10:51 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Tilting the rad and making holes in the top of the bumper makes the air exhaust through the top of the bumper and adds a bit more down force in front.

There are a few threads on here about this, and even with some templates to make the holes.

To tilt the rad, you can buy a kit or get some hardware from your local autoparts. It's pretty basic stuff.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:57 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 455 Posts

If I read this correctly you are running bars full soft on both ends??? Why would you need a stiffer rear bar without adj thd current rear bar. Just a point of info I run MCS 550/750 "I run street tires on GT3"' and my bars are full stiff front and 2 off full stiff rear with stock aero. I don't have much time in 120+ sweepers except Bishops Bend at Sebring but understeer is not an issue.

Peter
Old 10-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Thanks all for excellent insight!When I put the MCS canisters on I was full soft front full stiff rear .A good buddy is a Pro Grand Am guy and he told me to tune the new suspension to tire temp and that is where I wound up!A very good suggestion to go a click stiffer on the rear .Which I will try.FWIW I have heard(but not confirmed)that a lot of Cup car guys run sways full soft F&R .Of course a lot of this is driver preference and over the years I have migrated to a softer and softer setup,BTW can you tilt the mid Radiator in the stock(non RS)bumper cover?TIA HOM
Old 10-07-2012, 11:42 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

What wing u have in the back? Stock or rs? Mike
Old 10-07-2012, 12:23 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Horizontally Opposed Man
Thanks all for excellent insight!When I put the MCS canisters on I was full soft front full stiff rear .A good buddy is a Pro Grand Am guy and he told me to tune the new suspension to tire temp and that is where I wound up!A very good suggestion to go a click stiffer on the rear .Which I will try.FWIW I have heard(but not confirmed)that a lot of Cup car guys run sways full soft F&R .Of course a lot of this is driver preference and over the years I have migrated to a softer and softer setup,BTW can you tilt the mid Radiator in the stock(non RS)bumper cover?TIA HOM
Tilting the front radiator needs to be combined with slotting the top of the the the front bumper cover to get the air out and over the car. I am in that process now, as the front cover needs paint. Just need to find the template or make my own for body shop to cut out

Peter
Old 10-07-2012, 02:06 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

^ its in the must 6-3 read thread 85G
Old 10-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

I am running the stock wing.I understand that the RS wing generates the same downforce as stock but with markedly less drag ,is that correct.
What I don't get is why anyone runs anything larger than either stock or the RS.Seems to me you are just creating more understeer .
as I said above when I first installed the Goldcrest splitter I tried more rear wing cause I was concerned about possible oversteer .This exact opposite was true !Even after the added front downforce the stock wing with 4 mil shims just overwhelmed it and understeer was worse.
I will try adding one more click of stiffening to the rear bar.Any other suggestions ?Really appreciate everyone's help so far!
Old 10-07-2012, 02:46 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HiWind
^ its in the must 6-3 read thread 85G
Thanks, I hadn't got around to searching yet and don't want to be that guy who asks questions that have been answered numerous tines.

Peter

Quick Reply: Stiffer rear sway on 996 GT-3?