Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Its more than just a clutch !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 03:38 PM
88 Club Sport
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

onefastviking.....thanks for the post, that is almost word for word what my mechanic said and helps me understand what might have happened.

So I did stop by Velocity today to better understand what clutch they are considering. I think what happened is that when I heard the news initially, I was somewhat in shock and did retain everything that I was told……I heard “Clutch” and “Cup” in one sentence and assumed they were recommending a Cup Clutch.

Lucas agreed that a Cup clutch would be nuts for the street like many of you have said. However, he does not want to see the same thing happen again so he is trying to offer a more track oriented option that is still streetable. So, what we are going with is a Porsche Motorsports pressure plate. If you look at the pic of it vs. the Sport one that was damaged you will see that it is more heavy duty. The rivets are more substantial and the drive strap is 4 plates vs. 2 in the damaged one. So, it is the pressure plate that is a Cup variety.

As for the clutch plates, we will using a Sachs spring hub design with discs that have more copper (stand more DE abuse) than what is in there….consider it one up from what was in before.

The trans goes to Stan at Gbox on Monday for the new bell housing and diff. While apart everything will be checked and tested (oil pump etc.) before going back together.
Attached Images     
Old 09-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you ever dealt with GBOX before?
Old 09-01-2012, 08:49 PM
88 Club Sport
Rennlist Member

Tbred, I have not personally dealt with GBOX but have read your posts.....thanks. I have also read many happy people. The shop I am using for the work has a good relationship with Stan and believes them to be the best...they gave many examples of why they use them.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:50 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 88 Club Sport
Tbred, I have not personally dealt with GBOX but have read your posts.....thanks. I have also read many happy people. The shop I am using for the work has a good relationship with Stan and believes them to be the best...they gave many examples of why they use them.
please share... those of us who dealt with them would love to hear these reasons.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:28 PM
88 Club Sport
Rennlist Member

Well, she's back and my wallet is quite a bit lighter than I would have wanted but we did do some "while you are in there" items. It took a little longer than I wanted due to some lost parts compliments of UPS and my brutal travel schedule but she sits in the garage waiting for the next track day.

The clutch feels great, no drivability issues on the street at all. We ended up doing the pressure plate, disk and the flywheel…..all new and improved. The flywheel was serviceable but the sensor was chipped in a few places and we were concerned that might create problems later. We ended up going with a Cup bell housing, Guard diff, new steel syncros which will hold up better on the track and a new 2nd gear which was showing some damage.

I still do not have her licensed (need cats) so my next track event will be a mellow one to break all the new parts in. Drove it home with a huge smile....the exhaust on this car is absolutely wicked
Old 09-28-2012, 11:26 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Glad to hear she's back together.

Sorry you had the troubles but I look forward to hearing about what's next
Old 10-01-2012, 11:41 AM
drbooba1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't see by your pictures but if the strap did not cut through the differential housing it will be okay to use again. this was common on the first generation of Cup Cars that were raced in the states it originates with the 2 strap pressure plate. Change to a 3 strap and get back on track save the $1600 for the new housing and or do the differential work. By the way this is caused by the pressure plate going of center on the missed downshift (too much rpm).
regards

Quick Reply: Its more than just a clutch !!