Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom-built 996 GT3 exhaust 321 stainless

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 10:24 AM
88 Club Sport
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

I do believe Charles made what I have (PJ's old car Charles) and it is sweet at the track but set off car alarms in the city. At full song, I have never heard anything like it. Unfortunately I'll have to be adding a couple of cats to smog her in Denver but should not loose much if anything in reagards to power. The center outlet/cup car carbon bumber looks sweet!

Last edited by 88 Club Sport; 05-12-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:27 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks very sweet ... Must run over 110 Db tho!
Where are you thinking of cramming in the cats?
Old 08-24-2012, 11:43 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great!
you running same set-up as me : kw's/888's
Old 08-24-2012, 11:48 AM
88 Club Sport
Rennlist Member

I was out with a buddy last week canyon blasting and I passed him at full song and his window was open. When we pulled over a few minutes later he swore that he could not hear out of his left ear! Yes loud but in a really good way.

As for the cats, I can send the entire system back to Charles and he will install cats but I have found a local guy 5 minutes from home who comes highly recomended. He will use high-quality cats made specifically for newer OBD-II vehicles with a higher precious-metal content to enable them to do their job better and to last longer than standard "race" cats. He will use V-band flanges to the ends of your existing reverse cones (the sections of the header that will be replaced by the cats), so that the cats can be removed for on-track use.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:49 AM
88 Club Sport
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
looks great!
you running same set-up as me : kw's/888's
Old pic taken by PJ a few years back. The car now has Motons and Nitto's.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:07 PM
D-Uber Cars
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Craig,
Charles work is wonderful and his pipes deliver. FYI if your emissions check is performed via OBDII that system will pass. Charles built a system for my 6GT3 and current 7.1RS system and both have passed WA state smog w/o any additional mods. If Denver utilizes OBDII no worries as is. As long as you are not showing a CEL. If they actually take (sniff) exhaust sample, it will not pass.
Hope this helps, why mess with perfection?
Old 08-24-2012, 03:41 PM
88 Club Sport
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by D-Uber Cars
Craig,
Charles work is wonderful and his pipes deliver. FYI if your emissions check is performed via OBDII that system will pass. Charles built a system for my 6GT3 and current 7.1RS system and both have passed WA state smog w/o any additional mods. If Denver utilizes OBDII no worries as is. As long as you are not showing a CEL. If they actually take (sniff) exhaust sample, it will not pass.
Hope this helps, why mess with perfection?

If it was idle only we might be good but they do a simulated drive (on rollers) with a sniffer and I have been told that without cats when they drop form high RPM to idle it will dump fuel causing it to fail.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just ran my car yesterday at the Ridge with Charles' prototype system. It does what the dyno chart says. The car is quick and it sounds very nice. It definitely turns heads; a number of people commented on how healthy it sounds. It's probably one of the louder cars out there -- but also one of the faster ones! Looking foward to a center outlet system eventually, once Charles gets the dual outlet systems done that a couple of people are waiting for.

For those who haven't seen it, there is another thread that has videos of this system on my car so you can hear the sound. It's here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...-question.html

Charles has shared with me how much time it takes to build these things. It's incredible -- just the rear section for the system sent to Joe took something like 30 hours -- which doesn't include the time to build the headers. And the material alone costs literally thousands. Ask Charles about this; I don't recall the numbers, but those Burns collectors and the many bends in 321 are unbelievably pricey. I think with custom exhaust systems that produce real power and save a lot of weight, there's just no free lunch.

Rob
Old 08-25-2012, 09:43 PM
88 Club Sport
Rennlist Member

Sounds awesome Rob! Every time I hit 6k I get a HUGE ****ting eating grin off my face.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:11 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Default It's here!

Next step, get her on the car.
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Darkstar1
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 135 Posts

Charles I notice the mufflers on 88 Club Sport are Burns Stainless mufflers and marked as such. Are you now making your own? Do you make them 3 inch in and out?

Thanks
Old 08-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Charles@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe, was going to ask if you got the exhaust yet but don't need to hope it was worth the wait.

The burns mufflers are made by coast fabrication. The ones for these new kits are the coast ones. Really depends on price, wait time, and what is in stock on where I get them. Straight from the manufacturer is best but sometimes if I get burns collectors I will get the mufflers from them too. This time I went straight to coast because I was able to hammer down the price. A bit more.

Also joe, there are 2 different size clamps in that bag. There are 2 1/2" and 2 5/8". The larger ones are for clamping the rear section to the engine mount exhaust bracket. The smaller ones are for the exhaust tips.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:14 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by snickers
Joe, was going to ask if you got the exhaust yet but don't need to hope it was worth the wait.

The burns mufflers are made by coast fabrication. The ones for these new kits are the coast ones. Really depends on price, wait time, and what is in stock on where I get them. Straight from the manufacturer is best but sometimes if I get burns collectors I will get the mufflers from them too. This time I went straight to coast because I was able to hammer down the price. A bit more.

Also joe, there are 2 different size clamps in that bag. There are 2 1/2" and 2 5/8". The larger ones are for clamping the rear section to the engine mount exhaust bracket. The smaller ones are for the exhaust tips.
Cool! Got it. Do I need new exhaust gasket? Use the used one?
Old 08-26-2012, 11:41 PM
Darkstar1
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 135 Posts

Sorry for my confusion Charles, I thought you were Coast Fabrication. I looked them up and will call them Monday. Thanks for the help!

And like I said you are doing beautiful work.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:05 AM
Charles@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4porsh
Cool! Got it. Do I need new exhaust gasket? Use the used one?
I always buy a new set just to be sure everything seals up ok. Then if you need to swap back and forth from My exhaust to stock if needed.

Originally Posted by Darkstar1
Sorry for my confusion Charles, I thought you were Coast Fabrication. I looked them up and will call them Monday. Thanks for the help!

And like I said you are doing beautiful work.
Thanks, I enjoy building these a lot. I like the R&D side of development as well. Building them always takes way more time than expected. These setups take about 65hrs to cut fit trim and weld. If I had the needs to mass produce these in high numbers I could change mufflers or redesign them a little for faster production and to keep costs down which in the end makes the consumer price less as well

Quick Reply: Custom-built 996 GT3 exhaust 321 stainless