Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post trip report - 900 miles in three days!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Post trip report - 900 miles in three days!

I took the wife on a little get-away at Chitola Resort in Blowing Rock, NC. The route consisted of some interstate, some primary roads, and of course the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway. It took us about 6.5 hours to get there on Friday. Weather guessers called for rain... They weren't lying. All the way thru Friday night into Saturday.

Chitola has been closed for renovations and re-opened last week:

Their center piece near the patio:

We headed down to Little Switzerland Saturday morning and when we got there, we'd just missed a chapter of the Ferrari Club. The shop vendors weren't to impressed with the young lady who dragged the nose of her new F-car while backing into position for their F-1 Style exit from the Inn. One of the vendors commented that the group was worse than some of the bikers they'd had, with the revving of the motors to ear splitting levels. I left wondering if that group had any kind of idea what kind of impression they left on the locals.

Couple shots of the car and I, and of course my lovely wife, the trooper she is...

There is a waterfall back in the foliage, I swear…

My lovely bride...

During the trip, we did manage 23.8MPG, and the car ran flawlessly. The only issues were a couple of LOUD groans at the DasPort Rollbar’s connection joints on a couple of fast steep transitions and of course the right rear strut mount squeeking like crazy. The wife commented that it was an easy car to trip in. I only had one moment of concern when some idiot in a Nissan Maxima shoe-horned his car into a parking space shortened by the idiot in front of him. I’m still unsure how he didn’t hit my car, but there are no marks.

One small roll-around bag in the boot and one piece of luggage under the rollbar, sitting in the rear compartment, and that was all we needed. A duffle bag would have worked better, but now we know we can trip in the car.

I chose not to wash the car off on Saturday, since it threatened rain right up until this morning when we left to come home. I just got done washing and drying the car and it looks as good as ever, but took me over two hours to get all the inner fender liners and the small details… Man driving it long distances in the rain really made a mess… Oh well… I loved taking it on the trip and we got tons of comments and many a thumbs up!!!
Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 08-12-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:48 PM
vtwin996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I drove to PSDS at Barber in Birmingham from Chicago and back, with euro seats. She and the car never complained.

Quick Reply: Post trip report - 900 miles in three days!