Sponsored by:

Coolant flush

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coolant flush

Just short of welding the coolant fittings, but I decided to go with water wetter for the few remaining events this season.

Anybody done the coolant flush themselves and willing to describe? I've seen the Boxter DIY, and read a few threads, but wondering if anybody has developed a "best practice". I have the Airlift tool ready to go.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:44 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done it with the Airlift tool. Had the car level. I actually, drained about 5 times as I kept getting coolant out. That is, drain (turkey pans work great!, buy two), keep tank cap on and slowly open to control coolant flow while draining. Do both sides. I then used the tool to vacuum (after replacing drain plugs) and the tank filed up a number of times, I drained each time. Ended up getting about 5.5 Gal. Used sturdy milk bottles to keep old AF. BTW, I had ignition on and heater to full heat to make sure heater core was open.

I refilled using tool. Create vacuum, hold to make sure there are no leaks. I used an old cat litter container to hold distilled water. Open valve and suck it all in. Close valve since you will run out of water. Refill container, continue filling. Piece of cake with the tool. Drive around with purge valve open and heater on. Let it cool. Add water to level.

I actually just drained some last week as I'm replacing a chain tensioner located under top water hoses. Highly recommended and well made (brass) with multi coolant tank adapters. Have fun! Lou
Old 08-18-2012, 12:05 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had my shop do this today. will have the weld in the winter. 07 GT3. Looks like the drain plugs (2) in the engine then more for the hoses mid body. Had to take off panels (3) to access them. looked like 5 or so drain plugs all told. Car was on a lift.

Quick Reply: Coolant flush