Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3, how streetable/tolerable is it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 06:13 PM
yoda888
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks everyone for their comments and inputs thus far.

I don't plan on driving this as my daily driver at all. If I did, I would end up getting to the office in quite a bad mood after sitting in traffic and having to keep clutching!

I realize that you need to drive pretty reckless in the street to enjoy the car, but that's why I go to HPDEs. That's the need to drive fast in a safe environment. I will admit though, when I drove the E36M3 in the street, I would definitely drive more aggressive then when driving one of our other cars. I think it was the combination of the manual gearbox, and the way you could just "toss" the car around.

I think a 997 gt3 would be awesome, but then I'm going into a different price range. This "3rd car" budget has already jumped a couple of times. The wife however is encouraging me to get the p-car I want. Buy once, cry once!

Having today off has given me more time to research about the GT3. Are there any FAQs that people can recommend in regards to the GT3s? What's the highest mileage anyone has an on a GT3? How long do the clutch lasts? What are things to look out for?

Thx!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:35 PM
TomGT3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do you live? Drive one and you will know!
Old 07-06-2012, 02:50 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other thing not mentioned; if you keep the stock seats, its a relatively cush ride; the stock seats are soooft.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:27 AM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

has anyone installed coilovers on their 6' gt3 that improved the ride at all?
Old 07-09-2012, 01:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

^

the oem suspension IS coil over
you can install moton or jrz with very soft springs and proper air pressure to make it cushy.
but that really miss the point of gt3.
it's a very easy car to DD. i dont understand why there are so many worries.
i DD a lotus exige. 25000 miles in one year. no problem.
i also DD one of my 6gt3 in the past. it's fine.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:02 AM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

oh, I know that the stock suspension is coilovers, I meant aftermarket. I haven't actually driven a '6 GT3 but I've heard it can be a little stiff. My brother replaced has a 996 tt with bilsteins and it rode really nicely. Am wondering if a midrange solution like bilsteins can improve ride quality while at least preserving handling ability. my current car is really stiff, so I actually think I'd be just fine with a '6 GT3.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:07 PM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I daily drive mine here in Florida. We have relatively smooth roads, and I live in the Downtown area of Orlando. Honestly I've always had borderline cars that had full coilovers, etc on the street so the GT3 doesn't bother me as much as it may others. I've got full monoball everything, Euro Seats, harnesses I tuck away when street driving. Some complain of the clutch, but I've found myself getting in the habit of putting the car into neutral at the light and leaving the clutch out until the light changes so the stiff pedal doesn't bother me as much. Ultimately my only complaints have been the rear cage I have doesn't allow me to use any of the "rear seat" area I would commonly use in my previous turbo, however I've run into very few situations where I needed them. Second problem was not being able to transport my bike, but tequipment roof rack solved that problem quite easily. Overall I enjoy driving the car on the street, it's a form of therapy on most commutes and always puts me on the "long road" home so I enjoy driving it. There are some days where I wish I had a more plush daily, but usually after 2-3 days of driving something else I'm left missing my GT3 and want to drive it again.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:16 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Being a long time GT3 owner, all of almost 1 week, I can say this. It is a harsh ride, but man it's worth it if you ask me.
So different to my 993TT just sold, and also so much more fun.
The fun factor is just awesome.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:12 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 646 Likes on 326 Posts

We have owned our Yellow 6-3 for 1 year and almost 4 months....and have put 28,000 miles on it in that time!

It's my wife's daily driver - 20ish miles each way, many days in traffic. On rainy days, i get to drive it...sometimes...
It's never been on the track with us (previous owner did track it a few times) we just drive it everywhere..

We live in Charlotte, NC. we've driven it to NJ twice, Watkins Glen once, Daytona twice, Barber twice, and all over the Southeast all the time.

Clutch is stiff, yes you hear EVERYTHING, and the ride is a bit more involving than other cars. But Nadine (my wife) wants to call it Smiley because every time she walks up to in in the parking deck at work after a bad day, it ALWAYS makes her smile!!

Can't argue with her...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 08-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

I've put 5K miles on mine in two months... Just sayin'....

Mike
Old 08-04-2012, 04:16 PM
AutoEntourage
Advanced

Originally Posted by mooty
^

the oem suspension IS coil over
you can install moton or jrz with very soft springs and proper air pressure to make it cushy.
but that really miss the point of gt3.
it's a very easy car to DD. i dont understand why there are so many worries.
i DD a lotus exige. 25000 miles in one year. no problem.
i also DD one of my 6gt3 in the past. it's fine.
Agreed. I have no problems or aggravation DD my 6GT3.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:42 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just drove one 1740 miles over the last 2 days. Averaged 78 mph and 25.6 mpg. A dream to drive though a little loud. Through town and under 60 you drive it, a true sports car.

Watch for speed bumps.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 555 Posts

I have 72k+ street miles on mine. Obviously, I drive it everywhere.

Originally Posted by yoda888
All,
I'm possibly looking for a GT3 as a HPDE/weekend car.

So a quick list of "fun" cars I've owned:
E30 M3 (should have kept it! ): fun to drive on the streets and at the track; however I was so paranoid of door dings on this car that it made parking in public stressful.
GSR 4-door: this was a really fun car on the track; I had an JDM ITR suspension on it and it drove/rode great; really fun and tossable on the track
E36 M3: recently sold to make room for the next toy; fun on the track; great bang for the buck at today's prices; suspension is now too harsh for me (getting old!) and it's not even a crazy setup!

So I sold my E36M3 and started looking at NSXs and 996 C4Ss. I've been waffling back and forth between the two cars and was leaning towards the NSX. My wife's vote is on a porsche as she thinks the NSX is a younger person's car. (NSX holds a place in my heart because that was THE supercar to get when I first started to drive). The NSX has the looks, but it's technology is very old by today's standards.

So I started to look at 996 C4Ss. Love the way it drives! Further research has gotten me scared due to the IMS issue. Which again lead me to look at NSXs. Then I pondered a GT3 since it does NOT have the M/96 motor with the IMS issues. (Some recommended the 997S to me, but it doesn't change over to the newer motor until '07+ I believe. At those prices, I began pondering the GT3 instead!)

So now I'm looking at GT3s! Questions for you all is:
-Is it too harsh for weekend driving? I don't plan to drive it every weekend, just once in a while depending on where I'm going and the parking situation. I honestly thought my E36 was too harsh with Bilstein Sport Shocks and Vogtland Club Sport springs. (I'm no spring chicken anymore! ) I don't want to be cruising it up to Napa and it rattles me to death!
-How is the noise level on it? I know it's got way less insulation than a regular 996.

My plans for any p-car is to leave it stock (famous last words!) and use it as a 3rd car and HPDEs a couple of times a year.

Last question, does anyone know how many white/black combos were sold in the US for the GT3s? They all seem to be silver, yellow, or black.

Thx!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Mikie
Intermediate

gt3 is streetable. unless you are a ***** who needs latte cup holders and blue teeth, you'll get it. Yes, you got do a two step over any depression lower than Justin Beiber's acne scars, but you will get used to it after awhile, It keeps you from clocking pedestrians in parking garages.

By the way, i figured out that the best way to write posts is afte a glass of wine.

Mikie
Old 08-18-2012, 04:37 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 58 Posts

Hi. I alternate between an e46m3 and a 996 gt2. The gt2 is very slightly stiffer than a gt3. I also find it slightly but only a little stiffer to drive around in than the m3. It's actually really good on the street in my view. Its also not harsh. Harsh is a word i associate with crappy suspension and cheap shocks.

The porsche gt3 will be really firm but controlled.

Quick Reply: GT3, how streetable/tolerable is it?