Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway bar vs Springs to control body roll?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Rceron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar vs Springs to control body roll?

Assuming one was using an R6 tire and the driver had good car control skills what is the best way to minimize body roll without killing the ability of the tire to perform effectively? If you could adjust canister pressures on adj shocks would that change the answer? BTW we would be talking about a track only car and springs in the 900/1100 f/r area or stiffer. Assume smooth tracks only WGI, VIR, etc).

thx.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:23 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Is body roll causing a driveability issue?
Old 06-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Rceron
Racer

It's a matter of taste so to speak. Seems like there are at least 2 methods of minimizing impact: use bar or higher spring rates. I guess I want to know which is preferable.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:35 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Track only = springs

Cars that need compromise use bars in place of insane spring rates. Though I've seen some race teams that actually use the small spring / big bar setup but in those instances i believe it was to fit within a specified rule set.

My car is more softly sprung than yours (600/750), I run canister pressures of 200/225 (Probably higher than most to mimik a little more spring rate), stock bars fairly soft. Even on Nitto's when I see pictures of my car I think it has more body roll than I'd like but with the alignment properly set to optimize the whole package it drives really well as it sits. I thought about adjusting the bars stiffer on both ends but can't bring myself to do it.

Plus it's nice that I can turn the shocks down (esp the high speed bump) and drive the car home without beating myself to death.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Rceron
Racer

When I first got my car the seller had it tuned with Kinetic Motorsports and the car had 1300s up front and 1100s in back. This is the reverse of most GT3 setups but certainly not unique as I do believe some have gone this route. Since then I went to the more traditional route. My other problem is that I go back n forth between R6 and NT01s. I need to stop using the NT01s as the sidewalls are weak.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Burger
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Andy,

PhotoMotionOnline.com has a shot of you with a wheel up in turn 10. Reminds me of my M3.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:53 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Perfect example of why I asked if there were driveability issues.

I run my car as stated above with the rear bar on full soft. I know it lifts the front wheel in some situations but in fast sweepers like that I can drive the car off the rear with throttle I'm never struggling for front grip in medium to high speed stuff, Slow speed stuff it could use a little more rotation mid turn but I've been working with the shocks on that not bars as I can get back to the power really hard and drive off without drama as it sits now.

T4 at putnam I was taking with perfect slip angle at the rear of the car from apex off, it was just beautiful how well the car was working there.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:09 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I run my car as stated above with the rear bar on full soft.
What about the front?
Old 06-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Rceron
Racer

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I run my car as stated above with the rear bar on full soft. I know it lifts the front wheel in some situations but in fast sweepers like that I can drive the car off the rear with throttle I'm never struggling for front grip in medium to high speed stuff, Slow speed stuff it could use a little more rotation mid turn but I've been working with the shocks on that not bars as I can get back to the power really hard and drive off without drama as it sits now.
So are you telling me that with this setup you are not swaying/leaning all over the place in your seat ? I can't imagine how that would be fast is a section of track like the esses at WGI or VIR where would want to car to set and react very quickly. Again, maybe your cannister pressures + the 700s more than compensates for the soft sway bar in back.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:37 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 456 Posts

There is no right answer to this question as it is what makes you comfortable. My last 6GT3 had the same spring rates as Audi on 19s but I ran the sways stiffer at 2 holes off full stiff rear and 1 off full stiff front. IMHO and to suit my driving style and tracks I don't see the need for uber stiff springs as it would not fit some of the bumpy tracks I drive such as Sebring. YMMV

Peter
Old 06-29-2012, 11:40 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,633 Likes on 2,316 Posts

at ur stated spewing rate u should have minimum roll
do u mean the car leans or u the driver is moving is seat?
if its a track only car u want a seat that's one size too small and feel ur ***** crush inked whils strapping in. I kid u not.

my instructors doesn't think my car leans but I do. then we used a seat that's hard for me to pull sub strap up (too tight, HIGE thighs). torture sitting on grid. but once to speed, it's PERFECT. I am not moving and car is not leaning.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Rceron
Racer

Thanks for the input. I do have a halo Racetech seat that is tight fitting but not bone crushing. I think that I can solve my body roll issues with my setup but I guess I wanted to know which was better....using high rate springs and then tweaking sway bars, cannister pressures , and compression settings versus using moderate springs and then more bar and some adjustments to cannister pressures and compression setting.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:56 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,633 Likes on 2,316 Posts

spring first
cannister pressure next
bar is for really really fine tuning.

Quick Reply: Sway bar vs Springs to control body roll?