Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner - idle question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:28 PM
gtdreirs
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cats are definitely in there, cars are not tested for emissions in NSW where I live (or noise levels). It is not mandatory however when you try to renew your registration the car is inspected for basic things like brakes, window tint etc. and if the mechanic at the inspection station thinks your car is too loud they can refuse to issue the certificate and you need to fix the problem before you can renew your registration. The other way they can get you is if you do something stupid on a public road and the police defect your vehicle...then they will make you go through some serious pain and lots of tests. Mind you Porsches and Ferraris here get away with quite a lot...they are more concerned with dodgy WRX's with bonnet scoops the size of a small garage or exhausts you could fit a football in.
I plan on purchasing the Durametric diagnostic tool for a number of uses so hope to grab some logs. I'll record some audio over the weekend and post here so that we can compare notes.

Btw. Where do most of you buy your factory parts from? I am aware of Suncoast and Pelican. Will be in San Diego in a few weeks time but not aware of any vendors that way.

Cheers
Old 06-24-2012, 06:24 AM
gtdreirs
Intermediate

Ok, recorded a short clip here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41812571/gt3%20sound.MOV

Not sure it will give you much of an idea but there is a definite miss when I sit in the car. About to order a few things like plugs, coil packs etc. as I am sure none of these have ever been replaced.

cheers
Old 06-24-2012, 10:18 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

If it makes u not go nuts over it- my car sounds just like that since day 1 off the showroom floor. My mechanic did change out my coils/plugs as part of maintenance since car is 110% track. Car still has that short stutter/miss. Never really bothered me and car drives normal.
I had maf issue one time- now that's really noticeable. Car at idle is huffing/puffing and totally misfiring. I couldn't even beat my smart car on a stop lite for one block. But mind u if u do fine a fix Lmk : ). Mike
Old 06-24-2012, 10:36 AM
gtdreirs
Intermediate

Thanks Mike, to be honest I am not overly fussed..as you say with yours the car drives perfectly fine i.e. no miss or any other issues when you apply the throttle. Mind you after reading the many posts regarding the coolant hoses I have decided to get the engine removed and have this fixed. It has happened to a number of cars in Australia with a few of them ending up in the wall and given I am replacing the worn clutch may as well fix the coolant hose connections.

Cheers
Dragan
Old 06-24-2012, 10:58 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Good move with respect to getting coolant lines fixed up. Mine grenaded at the track on the worse spots for spinning ie high speed but luckily I was running water wetter. No one spun including me. Had no clue til I got meatballed. I had mine pinned shortly after. U should replace the hoses too but u probably know that. I still run with water wetter.
Hoses can pop too. I spun and 8 others when a 996 had a oil line blew. 6 cars around me and 3 others later(thought we were doing a car show on the grass). Very surprised no one hit anyone. Mike
Old 09-19-2012, 07:31 PM
gtdreirs
Intermediate

Just wanted to say.. a BIG thanks to all the folks here and for the advice on what to change when the engine was out, part numbers etc.

The car is back on the road now and all good. Coolant lines were welded, many parts replaced so now it is time to take it to the track and see how it goes.
Cheers
Old 09-20-2012, 08:45 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 59 Posts

Howdy. You may be aware the Porsche club has a Motorsport round on the new south circuit at eastern creek this Saturday. I have both a gt2 and a 968cs. Running the 968cs this round. White with black stripes and wheels. Come say hi if you want. I am car number 1. Great fun.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:10 PM
bobsan
Instructor

Originally Posted by gtdreirs
Just wanted to say.. a BIG thanks to all the folks here and for the advice on what to change when the engine was out, part numbers etc.

The car is back on the road now and all good. Coolant lines were welded, many parts replaced so now it is time to take it to the track and see how it goes.
Cheers
.....but....does it still have the rough idle you where concerned about ???
Old 09-20-2012, 07:51 PM
gtdreirs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MC 968CS
Howdy. You may be aware the Porsche club has a Motorsport round on the new south circuit at eastern creek this Saturday. I have both a gt2 and a 968cs. Running the 968cs this round. White with black stripes and wheels. Come say hi if you want. I am car number 1. Great fun.
Hi, was having a chat about your GT2 with Aussie Jimmy last weekend as Dave from Eastcoast suspension was doing the alignment on my car...will try to pop out to the creek but it may be difficult as the wife has put the foot down and I have to start building the deck in the backyard (tradeoff for the GT3 purchase...a never ending list of demands really).

Hope you have a great day!

Cheers
Old 09-20-2012, 07:57 PM
gtdreirs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bobsan
.....but....does it still have the rough idle you where concerned about ???
The idle is maybe a little better but I think it is just me and the fact this is my 1st Porsche and this is just how they run. All in all, most of the work was done as a precaution (coolant fittings mainly) and since the motor is out replaced a bunch of maintenance items.

Cheers

Quick Reply: New owner - idle question