Sponsored by:

anyone use to own 996 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 07:29 PM
blue911tt
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone use to own 996 turbo

I have a 996 turbo and I am debating should I switch to 996 gt3. Is the 996 gt3 suspension good or do you guys have to upgrade it?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 74 Posts

I had a very well sorted Twin Turbo I sold last fall...

It had PSS9s that were custom valved, and GT3 control arms front and rear, along with RSS adjustable thrust bushings, H/R swaybars with Tarred and TRG end links, along with AP toe links. The brakes were upgraded to GT3 specs, and the bodywork sported a FULL OEM GT2 front and rear... including all correct aero ducting. At one point I converted it to RWD as well. The car also had a full compliment of UMW turbos, software, fuel management upgrades and wastegate springs, along with GT2 intercoolers.

Quite simply, it was to much car for me at the track. I was fast in it, but it certainly hindered my learning. I found that out when I built a spec miata, did some track time and instructing in it, and then overlayed data from both vehicles for VIR and saw that some corner speeds in the miata were faster by over 4mph.

The weight, the geometry of the turbos compromising uprights to make the AWD work, was just to much... I could make the car turn fast times on MPSCs, but it was a chore... 2:05s were the absolute best on that setup with AWD and NT01s.

Mike
Old 05-16-2012, 08:47 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 35 Posts

I did. Like Mikelly, I had quite a few mods, over 600hp, suspension, etc. Sold it and never looked back. GT3 suspension, stock, is very good. Couple inexpensive upgrades for hard track use but that's all they "need" for the average mixed use car. I am not on my 4th GT3 and haven't even thought about a turbo for a long time.

What do you use your car for/what would be your anticipated use for a GT3?
Old 05-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

...not to mention lack of LSD in the 996tt, the crappy clutch hydraulics, the motor and trans mounts, lack of adjustable coil overs, control arms, and sway bars.

I shoulda done this sooner!!!
Mike
Old 05-17-2012, 07:45 PM
blue911tt
AutoX

probably 3-4 track days a year, and drive around town.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

If that's the case, then a 996TT will be fine, so long as you recognize and accept the facts that you will need MORE fluid changes. I bought my car with 9100 miles on it, and when I sold it there were 32K miles on it with most of that in track miles... I failed to mention that at the December 2009 mark I had a complete rebuild of the trans, to include new mainshaft, new gears (mix of Cupcar gears and brass an steel syncros), new LSD, new GT2 hydraulics, and more bits and pieces... It was a HUGE improvement over the stock box. Most of the GT3 track ratts here did the same upgrades with their 996GT3s!

The drivetrain should have complete fluid (Front Diff and trans, as well as oil) swaps every other event to prevent any long term issues. It's cheap insurance. I did this the whole time I had 996 TT (4 years 8 months) and the new owner is tracking it today with ZERO issues. I attribute his success from a maintenance standpoint to MY diligent maintenance. I have two lifts and do my own work, so I was on top of it a lot more than some might choose to do. But it will reward you with many years of trouble-free driving. Also, I ditched the 0W40 and moved to the TDT 5W40. It just worked better and had better chemistry!

Hope this helps!
Mike
Old 05-17-2012, 08:25 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do pure track and love high rpm's it make sense. Amazing machine. I love it. It's simple and gets the job done what it was intended.

Originally Posted by Mikelly

It had PSS9s that were custom valved, and GT3 control arms front and rear, along with RSS adjustable thrust bushings, H/R swaybars with Tarred and TRG end links, along with AP toe links. The brakes were upgraded to GT3 specs, and the bodywork sported a FULL OEM GT2 front and rear... including all correct aero ducting. At one point I converted it to RWD as well. The car also had a full compliment of UMW turbos, software, fuel management upgrades and wastegate springs, along with GT2 intercoolers.

Quite simply, it was to much car for me at the track. I was fast in it, but it certainly hindered my learning. I found that out when I built a spec miata, did some track time and instructing in it, and then overlayed data from both vehicles for VIR and saw that some corner speeds in the miata were faster by over 4mph.

The weight, the geometry of the turbos compromising uprights to make the AWD work, was just to much... I could make the car turn fast times on MPSCs, but it was a chore... 2:05s were the absolute best on that setup with AWD and NT01s.

Mike
Mike, no disrespect but I think the problem here was you jumped on the bandwagon of to much power and didn't learn to control it. I track my turbo 3-4 times a year and I'm much faster than gt3's. Last event I went to thunder hill I was in the 1:56's. Search what GT3's do there. It also has to do with driving style. The turbo you have the torque that makes it easy to break the rear tires lose when you get WOT coming out of a turn. It's heavier and its much harder to docile into a turn. But if you are skillful you can make it work. A 996T well setup should be faster than a GT3. You need a proper driver and a proper configuration.

On the other hand. I have driven a friends GT3 996 extensively. It is light, agile and amazing on the back roads where I have driven it. 4th gear, 8,000 rpm power slides with a beautiful sound

A Gt3 is loud in the interior ( his had cat bypass or something of that sort) it do-sent have anything fancy but i don't care for that. It is an amazing machine.

996T
Pros:
Awesome on the hwy power
Amazing grip coming out of turns- you can trust the AWD
Wide body

Cons:
You need to modify all the suspension to make it work for the track/ or to excite you for driving
Needs GT2/3 bucket seats
Needs an exhaust badly. ( this can be taken care of )

Gt3:
Pros:
Amazing sound with just cat bypass
Light/agile/suspension/brakes are perfect
Amazing throttle response.

Cons:
Power
No wide body

I will pickup my friends 996 gt3 as an addition to my turbo when he leaves back to Japan. Never been tracked, sub 20k miles- perfect condition. Why ? I dunno but i just need to have both cars.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Enrique, Believe what you want my friend...

I have been on BOTH sides of that saber. I've outrun GT3s and I've had GT3s piloted by the right drivers hand me my ***. It has more to do with the driver than the car. My points stand. You have your experiences, and I won't take them from you. But in the last 5 years I've had the luxury of piloting several platforms and my experiences stand.

I've posted video of LVDell running off and hiding from me, and at the very last event I drove the 996TT at, I held off Tom Bobbet in his 997GT3RS. And for the record, I didn't "buy into" the power mods. I bought the car with the turbos. I improved on the rest of the car and developed it over nearly 5 years. 650BHP is impossible for all but the BEST drivers to extract full potential from. The cost to me was the learning curve to scratch the surface of it. But I'm sure others could do more with it, which is why I sold it.

Based on the issues you've had in the past with maintenance and repairs on your ride, I'm not sure you're qualified to give advice on the two platforms.

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 05-17-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

The GT3 series of cars are so good it makes the rest of the Porsche line feel really compromised.

There is just something to say about powerful, naturally aspirated cars that are so eager to respond to each and every one of your inputs and execute them so well.

You will not miss your turbo.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The operative word is "used" to own a 996 Turbo. Was a great car to drive on the street but it sucked on track. Mine was stock (under CPO warranty) and I tracked it a couple times and ran the stock seats and 3 point belts. The power is nice but the car is NOT made for the track. I was still able to whip off some 208's a VIR but I had to really hustle that car around and trailbrake the crap out of it as it pushed like a dumped truck. Unless you pour all sorts of money in to the Turbo (suspension, brakes, diet, etc) it will not satisfy the skilled driver.

Sure, the power is "only" 380hp but that makes you really have to work your butt off to turn a great time. Anybody can hit the go fast pedal (which is what a Turbo does well), but the truly great cars (ala GT3) make the moments you have to turn the wheel something indescribable when you get it right. It's THAT and the scream of 8K+ rpm that made it an easy decision for me to come back home to the GT3. And that is saying a lot since the reason I convinced myself to buy the Turbo was........well just check out my avatar.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:10 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the people I know that drive 996 GT3's and are fast, all of them overhaul the suspension. The 996 leaves much to be desired, especially on the street. For a street track car its pretty easy to have highway pulling power and outrun GT3's on the track when you do go.

The 996 GT3 is the best track like feeling 911 of all time imo. But its potential is limited.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:40 AM
kevin5889
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Don't know if this helps but my gt3 is my dd and I also have a 993tt. I was given a 996TT for a week but ended giving it back after driving it once after an hour at the wheel. I find the GT3 significantly more engaging and fun. The power is about the same.... the 996tt has turbo lag just like my 993tt. When I just want to cruise I take the turbo but when I want excitment I drive the gt3.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:01 AM
Mixalis Kapsalis
8th Gear

I know a guy that bought a 997 GT3 after a 700hp GTR. He said that the GT3 is on a different league...
Old 05-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly

Mike
Hi Mike
As you knowI had a 03 TT with similar mods. It had K16 /24 Z clearance turbos with exhaust and EPL tune. It had JICs set to GT2 specs.
This car was Very very capable, brute torque , almost no lag . and easy to drive .
I sold it and do miss it.

I now have a 997.1 GT3 which is fun . it feels a little lighte.and slick. It is comfortable and also easy to drive.

So which is better?

The 3 guys will tell no comparison .....but most have not lived with a set up TT.
I do think the the TT with modest engine upgrades and with not too much power gave me more confidence and I never had a bad day with her.

As for the 3, I like it but we will see...... if it leaves me wanting more.

Good luck
My 02s
Elliot
Attached Images   
Old 05-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Elliot, Don't get me wrong... I loved my 996TT and after all the truckloads of money spent to improve it, the car was damned near perftect. If not for the color, I'd have kept it, but black is the worst to keep clean and presentable.

I want to also set the record straight on my intent with the car, that I did not run my car to 7200 RPMs like some with the mods... I short shifted it at 6400 and always considered myself driving it at 7/10ths. I was always at DEs and never time trialing because quite honestly I wasn't "safe" running at quicker pace without a full cage and proper fire suppression. Clearly I was leaving time on the table with my car, but I wasn't planning to break records until I had more safety gear installed... Just wasn't my thing...It's why I have other cars with full cages...

Mike

Quick Reply: anyone use to own 996 turbo