Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wait is killing me...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 68 Posts

It's a 76 chassis with a Mitch Piper rollcage (12 points). Has a Summit Racing fuel cell installed with some FuelSafe bits to help with the plumbing.

The Suspension consists of my own design front control arm and thrust rods, along with rear cromoly adjustable control arms. All bits are monoball mounted except on the rears inner bits where urethane mounts do the job. The shocks are Koni 8610 adjustables and I have camber plates in the tops of all four shock towers. The brakes are Mustang Cobra units and the hubs/stub axles are also custom 5 lug units.

The driveline consists of from the back forward a custom set of Speedway engineering axles, an infinity Q45 rear differential with viscous LSD, and a 19inch custom drive shaft. I use a Tremec TKO 5 speed roadrace transmission with a Centerforce clutch setup housed by a McLeod SFI bellhousing. The motor is a 383 stroker with forged bits along with Forged aluminum heads and a Cutlier intake (from a raceboat project) along with a 1000cfm throttlebody and 42# injectors. I'm using a FAST XFI fuel injection standalone system that has data logging and traction control. Still debugging the car. When I bought it in 2002 there was a shell and that was it.. no plumbing, wiring, or glass in the vehicle.

It's taken me about 9 years to get it running properly, and built. I only outsourced the cage and the paint job.
Mike
Old 05-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Pics of the car once I got some suspension bits bolted under her back in 2002/2003!

Now the car sits at 48.5 front/51.5 rear with 10 gallons fuel in it. It's at about 2650# and the motor is making about 465BHP and 490#ft. of torque, based on the dyno runs and base tune. We still need to do some data logs and get the fine-tuning done, as well as dial in the traction control!

This car is why the GT3 will be my fun street/weekend car!
Mike
Old 05-20-2012, 09:12 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Mike,
What an awesome beast, can't beat an american v8 for cost effective HP. I just bought a GT3 as well and like you have no intention of tracking it.
Enjoy!
Phil
Old 05-21-2012, 03:06 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Awesome project - what a revival! What's it weigh, 0-60 etc..?
Old 05-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Called Reliable today to find out where my car is today. It is in Michigan, awaiting more cars for the trip east and south. I am NOT happy... Ugh

Picked it up Thursday morning, and silly me, I assumed they would bring it to the east coast... Where I live...
Mike
Old 05-21-2012, 06:27 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

So far they aren't very reliable
Old 05-21-2012, 06:36 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Lucky I'm not the driver I be enjoying the tracks prior to drop off : ). Mike
Old 05-22-2012, 07:39 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

I just want the thing delivered... 2 weeks ago today I "bought" the car.. twelve days since I booked pickup and I've been told something different every time I've spoken to someone at Reliable. When I originally booked, I was told 5-7 days from pickup, and that pickup would "Probably be" Monday or Tuesday of the following week.

Ugh...
Mike
Old 05-22-2012, 07:41 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

No 0-60 times yet, but the car corner weights were originally much higher at around 2709 pounds without driver. We made significant changes to the fuel delivery, the wheels and tires change alone saw about 50# in reduction plus a battery swap to a Braille and other mods have brought it down to about 2650, conservatively.

Originally Posted by HiWind
Awesome project - what a revival! What's it weigh, 0-60 etc..?
Old 05-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Burger
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I just want the thing delivered... 2 weeks ago today I "bought" the car.. twelve days since I booked pickup and I've been told something different every time I've spoken to someone at Reliable. When I originally booked, I was told 5-7 days from pickup, and that pickup would "Probably be" Monday or Tuesday of the following week.

Ugh...
Mike
Just so you know, this is completely normal for shipping. I've shipped twice and they never arrive on time. The broker I dealt with was great and explained that they pick up new jobs as they go and are always diverted for additional business along the way. That's where the money is in their business. I'd rather them quote late and show up early. Is what it is.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:01 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Yea, I'm still waiting... Pretty disgusted with "Reliable". I hope like hell there's no damage when the car arrives.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:31 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear it Mike. IIRC DeMoise gave me a 2-3 day window and they nailed it, so your experience is not the norm. I know when I was waiting for mine, the week or so felt like a year. Hang in there!
Old 05-28-2012, 12:19 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 351 Likes on 215 Posts

I too know how you feel. I booked through a broker for fully enclosed with a lift gate and the first transporter showed up with what my wife described as a beat up soft side with ramps. (Yes gentlemen, my wife stayed in CA to meet the transporter at her mother's house where I took the car after purchase - she's an incredible woman). She called me while the guy was there and then questioned him about the ramps, etc. When he snapped at her - she simply said, "Thank you - goodbye" and sent him away. The guy was furious, but she didn't even blink and put the car back in the garage. The second transporter was Epic and the guy was spot on and did the door to door for $900 - LA to Chicago suburbs. Just try to be home when the car arrives so you can walk around and check the condition. Mine acquired NO new flaws, but I now know they often have to move the cars around during the trip so . . .
Old 05-28-2012, 12:36 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 351 Likes on 215 Posts

Mike - Impressive Z project. I've only had two. My first was a '71 Chicago car that I rust chased for years. By the time I finished/sold it, the only steel panels were the doors and rear deck. I did an engine build and swapped in some 2" throat SU side drafts from an E-type (the original intake manifold was already 2" diameter with 1.5" factory carbs). I always wanted to do a neat project like yours, but the chassis was too "flexible" with corrosion for a V8. The current one was an excellent candidate and I wanted to change it to silver and engine swap it. But it was when acquired a rust free, original paint '71 with 42k miles. My mechanic convinced me to keep it as a survivor. Porsches were my first love, but the Z was my first car.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:44 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jpoint
I too know how you feel. I booked through a broker for fully enclosed with a lift gate and the first transporter showed up with what my wife described as a beat up soft side with ramps. (Yes gentlemen, my wife stayed in CA to meet the transporter at her mother's house where I took the car after purchase - she's an incredible woman). She called me while the guy was there and then questioned him about the ramps, etc. When he snapped at her - she simply said, "Thank you - goodbye" and sent him away. The guy was furious, but she didn't even blink and put the car back in the garage. The second transporter was Epic and the guy was spot on and did the door to door for $900 - LA to Chicago suburbs. Just try to be home when the car arrives so you can walk around and check the condition. Mine acquired NO new flaws, but I now know they often have to move the cars around during the trip so . . .
Another reason to NOT use a broker. Whenever I used Intercity or DeMoise I spoke with a company employee. At Intercity the first time it was actually the president! At DeMoise, it was also one of the owners. And to give those 2 even further props, they OWN THEIR OWN TRUCKS.....no brokers.

By the way, nice job by the wife!

Quick Reply: Wait is killing me...