LWFW just installed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:10 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts
Default LWFW just installed.

Quiet times on this forum lately...

Just got a LWFW installed yesterday while the RMS was being tended to. So far, I'm really digging it.

The effect of the lightened flywheel is really obvious at speed when blipping the throttle. The extra noise at idle is pretty much in character with a track oriented car. Having the engine instantly stop upon turning off the ignition is also pretty cool... Reminiscent of a tight high compression engine.

What I can't understand though is the extra "rubbing" noise generated when getting on part throttle at lower rpms. The noise subsides and disappears quickly when the rpms pick up. Explanations?

Other than that... Track season starting in less than two weeks. Hopefully I will have more pertinent comments for the folks considering one in the coming month.

Cheers!
(bored sitting in waiting room somewhere)
Old 05-03-2012, 02:02 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Great mod David, you will love it even more at the track.

I think I know what you mean by "rubbing", and it could simply be the gearbox noises that are no longer "isolated" by the dual mass flywheel.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:56 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

'6 GT3 section HAS indeed been really slow this week. I've been less than entertained on conference calls

I too just went for my first drive in my car last night after installing the LWFW while I had it apart to weld my coolant fittings. I went with the 3.8/4.0l (964/996 cup actually) 8.5lb unit mated to the 996 RS clutch and stock pressure plate.

Driveability was my biggest concern but I was pleased to find it drives very much like the stock setup did. Wife drove it to work today and I did not get any complaints so I'm assuming that means it's clear sailing from here.

I too agree the noises are more or less just gearbox noises that were previously isolated by the old dual mass unit. Dare I say the noise at idle isn't even as bad as I thought it would be.

I'd like to say it feels like it pulls a little better but the car has been apart for over a month and I nearly forgot how enjoyable it was to take for a spirited drive.

Andy
Old 05-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Nordschleifer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here - installed the "heavy" 996 RS LWFW a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it. The noises at idle were a little scary the first time out but checking some post here made me realize that I was enjoying the new LWFW soundtrack. Drivability is very similar to dual mass fly wheel - slightly more nervous in traffic. Looking forward to try it on track next week
Old 05-03-2012, 09:36 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds great guys! I debated doing the coolant hose & LWFW "upgrades" this winter, but decided to put that off for the fall.... I am already pushing my annual budget limit with the installation of Slow's Clubsports Cage, mtn3's Euro Seat/harnesses/fire extingusher, and an LSD rebuild. The car should be back from my mechanic end of this month...

Next fall: drop the engine for LWFW, coolant hose welds, and possible new clutch. Also looking at Alcon floating hats and Motons (or whatever is the best at that point)... The list is long!

-B
Old 05-04-2012, 12:25 AM
MTB
Racer

I dropped of my car today for Coolant fiiting fix, LWFW & RS pulley install. Can't wait!!!
Old 05-04-2012, 12:41 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DHI
What I can't understand though is the extra "rubbing" noise generated when getting on part throttle at lower rpms. The noise subsides and disappears quickly when the rpms pick up. Explanations?
Gear sizzle! Love it
Old 05-04-2012, 07:40 AM
JGT3
AutoX

Hi, as my gearbox is down for repair ( main shaft lost a tooth), I'm installing the RS LWFW and RS clutch. I'm glad to read here that driveability is not impaired, as it was my main concern. Once mod will be done, I will post the results.
J
Old 05-04-2012, 11:45 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Planning to do both the coolant lines and LWFW and new clutch in my 6GT3 in the next few weeks. I also asked my shop to investigate any updates that are applicable to the motor/trans while out. I know there is an updated oil filler neck and plan to do the new trans mount. Figure while the motor is out, it's a good time to get some other stuff done.

I also wouldn't be to concerned about the noises. I used to think my 6GT3 made a lot more noises than my Boxster S did and was always checking out why. Then I got my 7GT3RS's and the 6GT3 is tame now by comparison. I can't wait to get that noisy RS LWFW in it now!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:48 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
Planning to do both the coolant lines and LWFW and new clutch in my 6GT3 in the next few weeks. I also asked my shop to investigate any updates that are applicable to the motor/trans while out. I know there is an updated oil filler neck and plan to do the new trans mount. Figure while the motor is out, it's a good time to get some other stuff done.

I also wouldn't be to concerned about the noises. I used to think my 6GT3 made a lot more noises than my Boxster S did and was always checking out why. Then I got my 7GT3RS's and the 6GT3 is tame now by comparison. I can't wait to get that noisy RS LWFW in it now!

I'd do plugs and fuel filter while everything is apart. They're just soo much easeir to do while it's down.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:55 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks, will add those to the list if they are not already recommended by my shop when I get the detail from them today.

I do have to be careful as I would love to do a 4.0 conversion on it while it's out, but I have to leave myself something to do next year!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:49 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
Gear sizzle! Love it

GEAR SIZZLE.

You nailed it!
Perfect vocabulary and designation.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Nordschleifer
Instructor