Sponsored by:

AIM Solo DL - anyone using?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:04 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AIM Solo DL - anyone using?

I am interested in purchasing one a Solo DL due to the thread over on the Racing forum. I then plan to integrate a Smartycam or perhaps GoPro.

Does anyone have one? Also - should I go for the OBD or CAN connection? Pros/cons for each connection type?

Thanks,
-Blake
Old 04-10-2012, 08:37 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just started a thread on this a few days ago ( https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...m-for-gt3.html ), and have ordered a SmartyCam and SOLO DL with the OBD II interface. Apparently, OBDII is plug-and-play and uses an existing connector under the dash. You're supposed to get a handful of ECU data points via this port:

Calculated_Gear – Calculated gear
OBDII_RPM – Engine speed sensor
OBDII_Speed – Speed sensor
OBDII_ECT – Temperature sensor
OBDII_TPS – Percentage sensor
OBDII_IAT – Temperature sensor
OBDII_MAP – Pressure sensor
OBDII_MAF – Raw value
OBDII_FUEL_LEV – Percentage sensor
OBDII_PPS – Percentage sensor

The CAN interface has more capability, but requires tapping into the car’s wiring.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:57 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an FYI. Available data is limited by the type of ECU in the car. I'm running the CAN connector and I only get about 6 signals. Check out this PDF for available 04 GT3 signals... http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa....8_104_eng.pdf

Go up one level from link and see how many more are available with 997.1

Check here for OBDII available signals... http://www.smartycam.com/download/ma...ni_100_eng.pdf
Old 04-10-2012, 10:39 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

fbirch - I actually never opened your SmartyCam thread... Thanks for the reference.

ninerguru - thanks for those PDFs. It looks like either provide cursory information. At minimum, I want to overlay RPM and throttle position. Looks like both connectors will provide that data.

I wonder - does one connector have more noticeable latency? I know that CAN is newer, but ODB has a plug-n-play connection....

-B
Old 04-10-2012, 11:25 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

See pages 4 and 6 of the pdf linked here:

http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...II_100_eng.pdf

It shows a connectivity option to plug directly into the OBDII port without tapping into any wiring harnesses. I ordered the OBDII cable/connector to use the existing port under the dash with no splicing. Even though this document is for the ECU bridge, the SOLO DL apparently has the same option. If I'm unhappy with the performance, I can always resort to splicing wires as a last resort.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:57 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

you shd read the threads on Drivers Ed Forum - recent and richly detailed
Old 04-11-2012, 07:51 AM
ninerguru
Racer

Originally Posted by fbirch
See pages 4 and 6 of the pdf linked here:

http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...II_100_eng.pdf

It shows a connectivity option to plug directly into the OBDII port without tapping into any wiring harnesses. I ordered the OBDII cable/connector to use the existing port under the dash with no splicing. Even though this document is for the ECU bridge, the SOLO DL apparently has the same option. If I'm unhappy with the performance, I can always resort to splicing wires as a last resort.
Read the warning on Page 9 as all channels might not be available on all cars. Also, you must purchase an RPM bridge to hook up with CAN Bus. Just wanted to make sure you are aware of that... Lou
Old 04-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Number54
Racer

OBD2 is simple, but can anyone comment about OBD2 vs CAN sample rate?

OBD2 sample rate is slow on my Audi, too slow to perform really meaningful logs. But I have no idea if its the same on Porsche.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:07 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ninerguru
Read the warning on Page 9 as all channels might not be available on all cars. Also, you must purchase an RPM bridge to hook up with CAN Bus. Just wanted to make sure you are aware of that... Lou
Thanks Lou. I exchanged emails with someone who has actually connected a SOLO DL to an '04 GT3 (same year as my car) via the OBDII port and verified that all 9 channels listed on page 9 of the pdf (the same ones upthread in my earlier post) do in fact come across via OBD link. Apparently, the RPM bridge isn't needed for the OBD connection. I don't have any info on latency, but at least initially I'm not looking for any intensive data analysis. If I can get 1-3 ECU values to update 5 times per second, that would be good enough for me. I'd mainly like to get RPM's inserted onto the SC video, along with speed and track position (both of which come from the SOLO GPS, not the ECU). Throttle and brake data would also be nice, but not a must. The rest of the channels I don't really care about.

I'd really like to avoid chopping into any factory wiring harnesses if I can avoid it. I know it's not a big deal to execute, but I don't like the idea.
-Felix
Old 04-11-2012, 04:15 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Default RL's got more (good) coverage than anyone on this one

guys I highly recommend these threads - the SOLO is awesome and I love it but ...
1. aim sites (US &UK) are limited in their coverage and vague re certain key issues. better insight from RL's who've done it themselves; installers themselves
2. it sounds easy to splice the CAN but I wouldn't do it unless you have a dire need for the extra data - ODB2 is easy, simple and quick and charges your SOLO too so no hassle there either (my GoPro is always dead! solo never!)

they're not too long and almost every question you're about to have is covered well here ..

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ocol-list.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-software.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ble-399-a.html

enjoy!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:07 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HiWind

guys I highly recommend these threads - the SOLO is awesome and I love it but ...
1. aim sites (US &UK) are limited in their coverage and vague re certain key issues. better insight from RL's who've done it themselves; installers themselves
2. it sounds easy to splice the CAN but I wouldn't do it unless you have a dire need for the extra data - ODB2 is easy, simple and quick and charges your SOLO too so no hassle there either (my GoPro is always dead! solo never!)

they're not too long and almost every question you're about to have is covered well here ..

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ocol-list.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-software.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ble-399-a.html

enjoy!
Thanks HiWind. I stumbled across some of those threads when I first started searching for info on these AIM products. Some of the product-specific nomenclature was confusing to a newbie encountering it for the first time, so I didn’t get a lot out of them on the first go round. Having spent a few days reading up on the different AIM modules and connectivity options, everything in those threads makes sense now and is consistent with info I recently received from Jerry (amso3), from whom I ordered my system.

I see that you were instrumental in finding the correct ECU configuration setting to get data via the OBDII port of the 996 GT3, so a big thanks to you. It’s also great to know that 20Hz update rates are available for at least a few key ECU parameters via OBDII. I don’t think anybody would ever need more than that, certainly not me.

One question, did you ever determine whether the PPS channel actually corresponds to the brake pedal or the accelerator pedal? I would assume the system could estimate braking and throttle application from the on-board accelerometer if the info isn’t directly available from the ECU.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:24 PM
HiWind
Race Car

cheers FB - yeah know what you mean. Doesn't take long lol .. hours flashing by. The heavy info is really Pete and Jerry and Utinkpol - I just sniped around the edges. And yes, I agree that the accel is v useful. I'm struggling with my rpm guages overlay with vid so haven't got to the pps - just using accel data and the g force map with tail is really useful. Check out Dashware when you get a chance.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:19 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for all the feedback... Lots of threads to read!

-B
Old 04-13-2012, 07:16 AM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

I have the Solo DL and SmartyCam in 6GT3 - purchased from Jerry who was a great help. PPS is the accelerator. I used CAN connection to get Brake position data (on-off only) which I don't think is available from OBDII. One option to consider - SmartyCam allows you to map long. G forces to brake pedal icon on overlay so you can get some indication of braking even if you don't use the CAN connection.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:01 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MJP911
I have the Solo DL and SmartyCam in 6GT3 - purchased from Jerry who was a great help. PPS is the accelerator. I used CAN connection to get Brake position data (on-off only) which I don't think is available from OBDII. One option to consider - SmartyCam allows you to map long. G forces to brake pedal icon on overlay so you can get some indication of braking even if you don't use the CAN connection.
Good info - thanks!

Quick Reply: AIM Solo DL - anyone using?