Sponsored by:

Steering Rack Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Exigent
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Rack Issue

Discovered a small leak from steering rack, dealer says all they can do is replace the rack. Anyone familiar with other options? Can it be resealed for example? Is it difficult to remove from the car yourself?

Not severe yet but trying to understand my choices before it is.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:05 PM
flowbe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also had mine replaced at 140K km's .
Don't think they can fix it , only replace it .
Old 03-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 168 Posts

There may be remanufactured racks available for 20-40% less than new with a similar warranty. I got a reman for my Audi S4 two years ago and it still works great.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Exigent
Discovered a small leak from steering rack, dealer says all they can do is replace the rack. Anyone familiar with other options? Can it be resealed for example? Is it difficult to remove from the car yourself?

Not severe yet but trying to understand my choices before it is.
There may be a cottage shop/industry that repairs/rebuild these racks but I've not come across any.

The racks fail so seldom...

One thing to consider is the rack leaks because -- at least in some models -- because a pressure relief valve in the power steering pump line fails and lets the rack see full pressure.

This forces fluid from around the rack's seals and into the dust boots at each end of the rack. Often these boots do not leak but instead fill up with fluid then leak. (I heard one 'pop' from pressure when the tech removed one from the rack.) But by this time the damage has been done.

If this happens this ruins the rack, but can also ruin the power steering pump because the fluid level gets too low. So, the repair requires a new rack, a new power steering pump, and of course the line with the pressure valve.

So, one wants to be sure the rack leak is just a plain old leak and not due to a failed pressure relief valve.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Steering Rack Issue