Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surely I can help with that
Old 03-27-2012, 11:49 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by KJinDC
Dell,

I'm using the Contour HD (which I love due to the simplicity) but the video was scrubbed with some random tool before I uploaded it to Vimeo. The frame rate was affected during post processing.

Now... where are those 2-3 seconds I'm loosing in my chase of a 2:06?

-KJ
I figured it was a compression issue. Why not just upload to Vimeo in full quality? Trim down to a 2-3 lap sequence and then upload.

Re: Goal to break into 2:06's
Do you have data acquisition? If you don't then there is only so much we (as driver coaches) can do to help you from just watching a video.

Riding right seat will help, but data will really identify the places you are losing time.

Originally Posted by 930man
Surely I can help with that
I forget, do you have experience piloting a 6GT3?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:10 PM
KJinDC
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

The GT3 is just my fun car. I have data in the race car.
I know video is limited for detailed analysis. I was just wondering if you guys saw anything of note since I only get to VIR 1-2 times a year.
Seriously, thanks for the feedback!

-KJ
Old 03-27-2012, 12:12 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

That makes sense. Didn't realize you had a different car with data.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:13 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

I drove one once or twice ...
Old 03-27-2012, 12:13 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Old 03-27-2012, 01:19 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Thanks! It's a fun car to drive. TPC does my set-up and the car is so forgiving to drive. I have their adjustable toe-links on the suspension as well as the aforementioned JRZs. The wing is a replica RS wing that a buddy sold me for cheap. I have no clue where it came from. I also have euro GT3 seats and 997 shift linkage. I love this car!

-KJ
I love your car too. I'm gonna ask for a ride next time we meet. &, nice driving!
Old 03-27-2012, 04:04 PM
KJinDC
Racer

Originally Posted by datax
I love your car too. I'm gonna ask for a ride next time we meet. &, nice driving!
Ha! It's a near twin of your old car Ken! Anytime you want a ride, it's all good with me. I look forward to seeing you at the track.

-KJ
Old 03-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The GT3 is just my fun car. I have data in the race car.
I know video is limited for detailed analysis. I was just wondering if you guys saw anything of note since I only get to VIR 1-2 times a year.
Seriously, thanks for the feedback!

-KJ
Great driving

Things I do differently.

A little later into t3 about 3 to 4 feet off the apex which makes for a smoother longer straight/transition out of t3 and down to t4.

A little later into oak tree about 2 or 3 feet off the apex which like going into t3 allows for a better run out of oak tree because the angle of the car is much improved. Ideally I like both tires square on the back side gators and don't like it when my fronts get there 1st I like them to arrive on the back side gators at about the same time.

A little later into t16. If I go in early and take more of a straight down hill approach I can't get into the gas soon enough and it upsets the car as well so sacrificing a little entry speed and entering later again allows me to get both tires square on the left side gators and I can hammer down from there with nothing but throttle steer to deal with.

Ways to go from 2.09s/10s to 2.06s at VIR:
1st Fresh rubber

Speed into and out of 1 and basically all the way to 3. Most everyone can go a good 5mph faster into 3.

The esses is a whole lot faster than I could ever imagine. My indicated speeds are 140 (at the cross over to the N course) then down to high 120s and back to mid 30s on the top side before 10.

Into and out of oak tree. Lots of speed there but it's also such a short distance it won't make or break a good lap but it will make a great lap

Late braking at t14 but I think you're already braking at about the 1 or 1.5 which is late enough. Could possibly brake later but not a place to eff about.

Into and out of t17 (should be 105 to 110 at the end of the gators).
Old 03-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
Great driving

Things I do differently.

A little later into t3 about 3 to 4 feet off the apex which makes for a smoother longer straight/transition out of t3 and down to t4.

A little later into oak tree about 2 or 3 feet off the apex which like going into t3 allows for a better run out of oak tree because the angle of the car is much improved. Ideally I like both tires square on the back side gators and don't like it when my fronts get there 1st I like them to arrive on the back side gators at about the same time.

A little later into t16. If I go in early and take more of a straight down hill approach I can't get into the gas soon enough and it upsets the car as well so sacrificing a little entry speed and entering later again allows me to get both tires square on the left side gators and I can hammer down from there with nothing but throttle steer to deal with.

1st Fresh rubber

Speed into and out of 1 and basically all the way to 3. Most everyone can go a good 5mph faster into 3.

The esses is a whole lot faster than I could ever imagine. My indicated speeds are 140 (at the cross over to the N course) then down to high 120s and back to mid 30s on the top side before 10.

Into and out of oak tree. Lots of speed there but it's also such a short distance it won't make or break a good lap but it will make a great lap

Late braking at t14 but I think you're already braking at about the 1 or 1.5 which is late enough. Could possibly brake later but not a place to eff about.

Agree with Fritz here.

Dell, nice save. Looked/sounded from your in-car that you delayed the downshift until very late and then may have missed rev matching properly, which may have caused the back end to get loose?

Some nice videos in this thread! And nice pics, too!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:06 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

a buck fifty five at the tree in a bone stock 991s, holy crap. I barely hit 150 in my old 997tt with hoos !
Old 03-29-2012, 08:26 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

This the 991s 32 degree morning 20+ mph winds .. Car was week .. Being very easy on pads .. No pads in the states at the time.. Bone stock as it left porsche

Old 03-29-2012, 10:52 AM
KJinDC
Racer

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
Great driving

Things I do differently.

1st Fresh rubber

THANKS FRITZ!!! That is exactly what I was looking for.
I'll definitely need to get you into the right seat (assuming you don't have the flu!) the next time I am at VIR and help me some with these things. I know I can carry more speed through 3 but am concerned about not effin' up 4. I'd like to see what you're doing at Oak Tree and 16.

I know the car in it's current state is good for 2:06s. Now it is up to the drover to get the necessary attachments and get it there. Thanks again!

-KJ
Old 03-29-2012, 11:10 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

One thing I noticed..entering esses I wait late past north staying on gas , stay left till after the dirt then right, allows you to carry more speed in, also keeps the car straighter you can hit the second gator with out unsettling the car.. More gas throughout the esses
Old 03-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

THANKS FRITZ!!! That is exactly what I was looking for.
I'll definitely need to get you into the right seat (assuming you don't have the flu!) the next time I am at VIR and help me some with these things. I know I can carry more speed through 3 but am concerned about not effin' up 4. I'd like to see what you're doing at Oak Tree and 16.

I know the car in it's current state is good for 2:06s. Now it is up to the drover to get the necessary attachments and get it there. Thanks again!

-KJ
I'm still suffering w/ a residual cough this thing is still kicking my ***

My pleasure on riding shotgun anytime.

Matt is right about the esses you MUST get in LATE to really nail the gas. I use all the N entry space I can can get and slowly smoothly move left (again going about a buck 40) and try to place both tires square to the white line on the left side and just as the track slowly starts to dip down or just before the very small dip down I enter with a small quick turn in followed by more small quick turns. If you get in too soon too hot just jump over 1st apex slow down and find the groove again. If you get in too late just middle track it applying brakes in a straight line. When carrying lots of speed into the ESSES they can bite you before you know what hit you.

PS I just read Matt saying late after the N. I disagree there if you're too late you can't carry enough speed so I turn slowly just before it ends (sort of a smooth in and out of the N course entrance) driving over the left side gator finding the white line as mentioned above etc....

Quick Reply: March 2012 VIR with Zone2 picture and video thread