Sponsored by:

Brake bias & rotor temperature - long

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 09:43 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spare tire
The better you get at driving , the less you use your brakes hard. The fast guys allways say brake less!!
The best club racers i know in older 911s run the stock equipment, upgrade to bigger brakes, get a little faster and swich back to stock and have no problems.
This is the truth! My first 2 years in DE, I went through front pads very quickly... Now, not so much...

And as a side, I really like the Pagid RS19/29 front and Pagid RS14 rear mix... That works quite well... Have yet to play with PFCs though...

-B
Old 04-30-2012, 02:39 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Rear rotor wear = incorrect bias?

i replaced my OEM front rotors last week with 10mm cracks around more than a few of the holes - scrutiny regs state 10mm max. luckily I bought a used pair off a wrecked 3 (don't ask) for $100 to buy some time while my brake poll runs it course ... although I'm close to a decision but thats OT!

Anyhoo ... today I've just inspected my rear rotors and it seems the formerly 28mm is now 26 which is where the wear limit is. I'm a bit surprised running OEM pads and only just getting my front to the point of needing to replace that the rears are this worn. It seems from what Oz has written above there's no bias setting on the 6-3RS but I figured that the dual wear-out might mean my bias is off? I'm not locking up under heavy braking at the end of the straights but unfortunately I haven't had any temp gauges on hand at the track to test temps. perhaps I'd better start there? Or maybe better to check with service history to double check if rears are older than fronts although they said both replaced at 16k kms - now at 24k. Any suggestions for further investigation?

PS - re Spare and Blake 'it's just a phase' comment - are your times improving as your wear does too or are you maybe just chilling out and thus saving wear?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:57 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by HiWind
I've just inspected my rear rotors and it seems the formerly 28mm is now 26 which is where the wear limit is. I'm a bit surprised running OEM pads and only just getting my front to the point of needing to replace that the rears are this worn.
Are you the original owner of the car? If not, did you have a PPI done? Were the rear rotors thicknesses measured/documented? How many miles are on the car?

If your rear rotors are 8+ years old and have seen track time, I could see them being 2mm thinner with a combination of street and track driving.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:07 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 201 Posts

Hiwind- maybe because your car has the nifty suspension bits on the Rs that make your car use more of the rear pads. I know I'm reaching here. Mike
Old 05-01-2012, 12:55 AM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[
PS - re Spare and Blake 'it's just a phase' comment - are your times improving as your wear does too or are you maybe just chilling out and thus saving wear?[/QUOTE]

I check lap times every lap at every track and I am always looking to shave a few 10ths. I compete with myself every time out.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:53 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

^ then I've got some learning to do lol ... will be nice to be faster and wear less at the same time

^^ could be mike - thanks

Last edited by HiWind; 05-08-2012 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Add re missed comment

Quick Reply: Brake bias & rotor temperature - long