Change Exhaustsystem without any lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 05:18 AM
RSRS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change Exhaustsystem without any lift

Hello

Is it possible to change the exhaustsystem without any carlift? Is it necessary to remove the rear bumper?

I have to change the whole system (headers, backbox etc.). Do I have to mind something specific?

Do I need a car jack? Not really, right?

Is there any manual on the forum?

Thanks
Oliver
Old 02-03-2012, 08:54 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I would at least get the rear up on stands and take the rears wheels off. From there it should be very easy. And no, you don't have to remove the rear bumper.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:20 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I guess technically it could be done but it's going to be VERY tight to get the mufflers out from under the car without it being up in the air.

Dell's right though, it's exponentially easier with the car up on stands and the rear wheels removed.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:16 AM
loworbitsi
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced the muffler sections with the wheels on and the rear on jack stands. Old muffler out and new in took about 2 hours. Hardest was getting the front most 8 inch long bolt that holds the muffler to the bracket. When doing the reassembly it's easier to run that bolt in the other direction.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

It's do-able without removing bumper. But the bumper is easy to remove and makes the job easier.

You can do it on ramps/jackstands but a lift is much nicer. Here's me installing 911Slow's weapon-of-mass-destruction exhaust back in 2010.
Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2012, 11:59 PM
serickson
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No problem without a lift. I used two jacks raised enough so that I could squeeze underneath to losen various bolts/clamps. I would not remove the rear bumper, not necessary. What I recall you really need to remove both rear tires to make it easier to remove exhaust. You may need to replace long bolts holding muffler to the bracket that mounts to the motor (possibly rusty). Like other have said, should take two hours the first time. I found good removal instructions from rennlist in the DYI section for 996's. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:11 AM
RSRS
Intermediate

Thanks for that input! I will buy a set of ramps. And I hope there are no rusty bolts.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:33 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Yes
Yes
Yes

I've done this on 2 996s. I would go with jack stands and you will want to remove the wheels, to remove the bumper, to remove the heat shields. Sounds involved, but it saves quite a bit of frustration.

Here is a very helpful write up (link)

Speaking of rusty bolts; spray some penetrating oil on the bolts you can get to the night before. I did it with hand tools only and it wan't too bad.

Quick Reply: Change Exhaustsystem without any lift