Need tires, anyone else too?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Pbacon
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need tires, anyone else too?

Hi Guys,

Happy New Year to everyone. Just signed up for VIR Zone 2. Can't wait.

Need to buy some tires, thinking about the Yoko Advan A005 for the GT3, 230 front and 280 rear. I have been running used. My source dried up and I have had some problems with some tires being more or less used up when I got them. So I am going new for this year.

Anyone had experience with the Pirellis ? I have had such good luck with the Yokos that I am reluctant to change

Anyone interested in a group buy?

Recommendations on sources?

Paul
Old 01-30-2012, 08:55 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul,

A couple of my friends ran the Pirelli Corso's last year and had good results with them. Good grip and great wear. They are expensive though. You don't want to run the HooHoo's?

See ya at VIR, missed you last Nov.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:08 PM
RJ's325ITS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My business partner runs a 996 and likes to run the Nitto's NT01, and I love the BFG's R1 for a multi task tire I woul go with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport they are awesome in the wet and dry,
Old 01-30-2012, 11:35 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't think they make R1s in GT3 sizes. NT01s are good tires, but need too much slip angle for me. Hoosier is a great tire. R6 is sticky, R100 even more I'm going to try out a set of the Goodyear RS tires and will report back.

-td
Old 01-31-2012, 09:17 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Anyone have a partially used set of Nitto Rears they want to sell... 315-30-18
Old 01-31-2012, 09:50 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
I'm going to try out a set of the Goodyear RS tires and will report back.

-td
I'd love to hear the report after you try the Goodyears. There was a post somewhere either here or 6-speed where they were reported to be slower than hoosiers by a good margin.

On the contrary, I have a friend who races NASA and one of his buddies swears the goodyears are faster than R6's but not quite as quick as the soft compound Hankook's or A6's (which NASA charges extra points for). His buddy actually mounted a set of goodyears that had started to cord just to run 2 qualifying laps to get a better starting spot then ran "slower" R6's in the race.

There's such a lack of good available info on the Goodyear's that I"d love to hear another opinion on them.

Andy
Old 01-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Pbacon
Hi Guys,

Happy New Year to everyone. Just signed up for VIR Zone 2. Can't wait.

Need to buy some tires, thinking about the Yoko Advan A005 for the GT3, 230 front and 280 rear. I have been running used. My source dried up and I have had some problems with some tires being more or less used up when I got them. So I am going new for this year.

Anyone had experience with the Pirellis ? I have had such good luck with the Yokos that I am reluctant to change

Anyone interested in a group buy?

Recommendations on sources?

Paul
Check with the PCA group in your region. The one I belong to (Diablo) has a group buy on tires scheduled for sometime in early Feb.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:55 PM
Pbacon
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys
With my camber and set up, I have to run a full slick. I think I will go with new yokies. If anyone wants in on the buy, let me know. I have to wait for the warm weather before shipping.
Paul

Quick Reply: Need tires, anyone else too?