Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How strong are our cars if we would flip over

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:58 AM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a video which I cannot share - of a friends' car at 155 mph - blew his engine into turn 1.....spun, rolled, hit an embankment - the HANS saved his life.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:49 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm not one for paparrazing misfortune but in the context of this thread and with the owners permission, I'm now posting these. This happened a couple months or so back at Killarney. My shops car.

What happened: Cup car, first drive out for (experienced but not in cups) new owner, on the 5th or 6th session during a first drive/setup day, on track by himself, ran wide in 1, picked up a rear puncture in the marbles/stones, didn't feel it in 2 as the weight was on the other side, then on the full speed kink, as weight transfered to puncture side, car spun, hit tires, rolled along tire/wall, 6 rolls! Landed on roof and when driver saw fluid dripping down he didn't take the time to think if it was fuel or whatever - it wasn't - just scrambled!
.... Driver Walked away with bruised foot - was using SA designed Leatt brace, not hans.

I'm def Not saying its not dangerous - see Francois comment re vigilance - but good to know that a solid OEM cage can make things this much safer. Sad to see this cup - came from enduro racing in the UK - wont be racing with us this season, but the rebuild is on track.

Amazing to see the doors came off - carbon - and the putty exposed under some of the paint (undisclosed by seller). Insurance covering as during untimed practice - crazy but they cover if 'not timed' event.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1018622...CL7czo2w2Yjdaw

reinforced what many here have said ad nauseum - Mooty, Dell spring to mind - Spend to get your cage, Hans, seat and harness perfect - time and money - Before the plenum, monoballs or x-pipe.

Last edited by HiWind; 07-23-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-23-2012, 09:19 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

VRAlexander died two years ago in a rollover crash and his 996TT looked very similar to the first car pictured... I'd not rest to comfy seeing the results of a single incident. They don't tell the whole story. My 9966TT would hit 177-180 MPH on the back straight at VIR. With proper seats, a DaSport bar and hans device, I would get out of the car at the end of a session shaking and wondering why I was still doing "this"... I'll take a full caged car with proper fire supression any day and twice on Sunday...

Told you guys, I bought my GT3 to drive on the street and commute in, for a reason!
Mike
Old 07-24-2012, 08:47 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
reinforced what many here have said ad nauseum - Mooty, Dell spring to mind - Spend to get your cage, Hans, seat and harness perfect - time and money - Before the plenum, monoballs or x-pipe.
Absolutely. Spend on safety and coaching BEFORE you spend all sorts of money on suspension mods, etc.. You will be a better driver (i.e., safer) and should you ever be in a bad situation, the safety gear can do its job.

Quick Reply: How strong are our cars if we would flip over