Financial opinion on the Lotus Elise/Exige Vs GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 07:51 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Financial opinion on the Lotus Elise/Exige Vs GT3

I am sure a bunch of yours have contemplated a Lotus Elise/Exige at some point

I don't want to enter the debate about which is the most fun car to drive.

So ONLY on a FINANCIAL stand point, which do you think is cheaper to run GT3 or EXIGE ?

I would assume the smaller weight would require less tires/brakes/...everything
But the Lotus is far from being a common car so may be in the end, porsche part end up costing the same ? Also I see a lot of transmission rebuilt and wonder how strong the engine is..

Any financial advise needed
Old 12-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

"I don't want to enter the debate about which is the most fun car to drive.

So ONLY on a FINANCIAL stand point, which do you think is cheaper to run GT3 or EXIGE ?"

Okay, only from a FINANCIAL stand point , EXIGE.

Happy now?
Old 12-26-2011, 08:32 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know of multiple Exige motor rebuilds and no GT3 even with a lot more miles. I would think even with that the Lotus is cheaper.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:09 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on what exige. The previous generations definitely are a lot cheaper to run (smaller engine, lighter car, smaller brakes, smaller wheels) than a GT3. The new V6 one will be more expensive (bigger wheels etc) but still cheaper than a GT3.

That is under the assumption nothing breaks down of course.

Then again a 10 year old 996 GT3 could break down too.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:21 PM
tdf360
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tracked a 2005 Elise for 3 years with very minimal expense. Obviously consumables like pads and tires last a lot longer on the Elise, and serious mechanical issues are quite rare. Engine parts are very reasonable since it's a Toyota Celica motor. Bottom line, it's much cheaper to track than a GT3, and a real hoot to drive. It is slower than a GT3, and less useful as a daily driver, no doubt about it, but it is very entertaining none the less.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:14 PM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 470 Likes on 191 Posts

The cost comparison is exaggerated when looking at Exige Cup vs GT3 Cup - the Exige Cup is exponentially cheaper to run. ~$5k for a motor on the Exige Cup vs $15k+ just for a refresh on the GT3 Cup.

The cost difference isn't that large with the street models, but the Elise/Exige definitely is cheaper, as others have stated.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:34 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

had exige and elise and a lot of GT3 variants.
compared to running any GT3, the lotus is essentially free. everything is cheap and that's with some nitron shocks and some expensive wheels i put on the car.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:11 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

It's cheap...until you crash. The rear suspension mounts are glued on and non-repairable. Even a minor crash can leave the tub a total loss.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:19 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

thanks Serge that is something I was wondering, the glued chassis seems like a potential money pit.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:23 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
It's cheap...until you crash. The rear suspension mounts are glued on and non-repairable. Even a minor crash can leave the tub a total loss.
ah, so crashing is part of "running cost"?
if so, the front and rear clam shells are $$$
the rear is approx $10k from dealer.
front wasn't much cheaper either.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:47 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
had exige and elise and a lot of GT3 variants.
compared to running any GT3, the lotus is essentially free. everything is cheap and that's with some nitron shocks and some expensive wheels i put on the car.
+1. I used to run a lotus. everything massively cheaper and lasts longer too as car a lot lighter + less powerful.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:48 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its the front ones I think. Rear subframe can be replaced.

GT3 repairs ain't cheap either...
Old 12-27-2011, 08:56 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

A friend of mine had an off in his Lotus Eleven this past season, impact to tire barrier on passenger side of the car resulted in every single piece of bodywork needing to be replaced. Even bent the pedals, seat mounts and other various parts on the interior of the car were damaged. Impact couldn't have been at more than about 15 mph tops. Bear in mind none of the suspension seems to have suffered any damage it was that "mild" of an impact, but stuff that was damaged was a bit alarming.

The last repair estimate I saw was $32-37k. He had insurnace and they're still trying to determine if they are going to total the car or repair it.

While I don't doubt that a similar impact to a GT3 would have resulted in a good bit of body work, I think it would have taken the blow much better than the Lotus did.

Another point, Your current C2 is pretty comparable to the pace of an exige or Elise on the track, consumables for either of them is still cheaper than your C2 as well but you've already got the C2 in the garage.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:20 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this is strictly FINANCIAL, and you're looking for cheap running costs? Miata Its laughable how cheap that stuff is.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

The point I was trying to make is how fragile that platform is. Of course crashing isn't part of the "running costs" but there's a big difference when your wheel catches a rut and cracks your GT3's upright vs writing off your entire lotus chassis.

Quick Reply: Financial opinion on the Lotus Elise/Exige Vs GT3