Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MKI 996 GT3 - Clubsport Rollcage options ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Special When Lit
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MKI 996 GT3 - Clubsport Rollcage options ?

Hi all,

I'm currently in the market to potentially buy a MKI GT3 with the factory Clubsport option (003). I've been "following" this car since it's been released and I've seen quite a few, but today I've seen a new setup for the roll cage which I had never come across before :

(this is from the German website mobile.de btw)

Are the two additional "lateral" bars at the bottom genuine from the factory ? Is there an additional option code besides 003 + XSM for this setup ?

Thanks a lot for your feedback,
Simon
Old 12-12-2011, 04:57 PM
runet
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think that is a genuine Clubsport rollcage, I have never seen sidebars like that on a Clubsport before and cannot find a cage with those sidebars in PET (the Porsche parts catalog).
Also, the "standard" seats in a Clubsport would not be part-leather. That could be optioned of course, but i would really check all data and paperwork on this car to make sure it is what it claims to be.
I cannot find it on Mobile.de, do you have a link for the ad?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Special When Lit
Instructor

it's this one : http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/de...l?id=149661447

Although I didn't bother to check it it was a real Clubsport or not, it's just the roll cage picture which surprised me since it looks quite similar to the standard setup in the way it's shaped/bolted and all.

Maybe this is just and atfermarket assembly that was offered by Matter back then for the 996 ?
Old 12-12-2011, 06:34 PM
runet
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi.

This is NOT an original Clubsport, I should have seen it straight away :-).
This car has the side airbags, and those were deleted on cars that had the clubsport option from factory.

It still looks nice though. Make sure you get a PPI and verify the milage, and get a DME readout to check overrevs and hours on the engine (this is a good indication to see that hours on engine matches the milage).

As you might be aware of, milage on german cars are very often tampered with.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

They also do not state it's a club sport. Where are you from in Europe ?
I would sell my car if you are willing to spend just a bit more
Old 12-13-2011, 03:52 AM
Myllypexi
6th Gear

Hi

I´ve checked this car last September, when I was at Nordschleife. Nice car and km seems to be correct?
As stated earlier, not original CS. If I remember right, it has bigger brakes, roll cage, chip tuning, sport exhaust etc...and a tiny little dent on passengers door (hard to see though)
However we didn´t test this car, so not much more to tell.

Pekka
996 GT3 CS
Old 12-13-2011, 04:10 AM
v12man
Instructor

Does not look original - the cage crossmembers on a CS only span 1 diagonal, also the CS had a console delete and engine cutout on the centre console.

I guess they could be added back though.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:14 AM
Special When Lit
Instructor

I'm located in Geneva, I wasn't looking to buy this one it's just the rollbars which surprised me since this was a setup I had never seen before.

I went through an independent Porsche mechanic who said he could inspect the "candidate(s)" and run it through the PST2 diagnostics. He said I shouldn't be worried about "rage 1" overrevs since all GT3s have them after the years but to check out for repreated "range 2" logs. He didn't talk about running hours though. If you could detail exactly what data can/should be watched via diagnostics and what are good/bad readouts that would be great (I don't even know what RPM figures we are talking for range 1, 2, 3..).

I would like to get it either in Speed Yellow or Zanzibar Red, with the full 003 prep (complete cage, fire extinguisher and all) and without third-party modifications if possible. Best candidate I've seen so far is a yellow one with 55,000 Km which even had the AC and radio removed from the factory.

In Zanzibar they seem impossible to find though.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:28 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by v12man
also the CS had a console delete and engine cutout on the centre console.
this.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:24 AM
JarmoL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi there

Here is one in Zanzibar red: http://www.blocket.se/goteborg/Porsc....htm?ca=11&w=3

Car is located in southern Sweden and it has been for sale for some time now. It's roughly 53500 € though so it's not one of the cheapest!
Old 10-07-2012, 02:38 PM
sportscarfreak
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

Hello Simon,
My 2001 996 GT3 Clubsport has the same rollbar ex. factory. I removed the bar on the drivers site. Makes it much easier to get in or out.
See picture(s).
Cheers,
Sportscarfreak.(Luuk)

Last edited by sportscarfreak; 02-21-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Special When Lit
Instructor

Hi, thanks a lot for the input ! That's a great looking ClubSport, are you 100% sure the car came out like that from the factory ?

There was a car entirely similar to yours for sale in France (SpeedYellow, Clubsport with big carbon package including Recaros, A/C delete, Radio delete), and with the same cage setup. When I inquired, the shop told me that it wasn't stock and that they added the sidebars at the previous owner's request.

After researching, my understanding was as follows :

MY 2000 GT3 M003 (no mater if it was built in 1999 or 2000) : 6 point bolted rollcage provided by Matter GmbH. No eyelet on the font and side pillars to attach an extra sidebar.

MY 2001 GT3 M003 - The cage design is exactly the same, but now provided by IVM Automotive since Matter Germany stopped it's activity.

MY 04-05 GT3 M003 - They get exactly the same cage as MY 01.

MY 04 GT3 M004 (the RS) gets a different setup with two bars crossing right behind the seats (before there was only one tube from top left to bottom right), and two eyelets were added to the center pillars. They were useless in stock from since the front tubes supplied with the car weren't uppgraded (ie : the front had no eyelet so you couldn't attach a sidebar either without welding). My understanding is that you could order a reinforced front section from Motorsport (similar to the one of the 997), and thus you could attach the sidebar as well.

So 3 different setups (with 2 being the same design) which is inline with the 3 different part numbers found in the PET ?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:12 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

interesting - didn't know the rs had an extra bar in the back. thanks!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:26 PM
sportscarfreak
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

Hello again Simon,
I have the original documents, 5 pages of the rollbar, with the car.
It says in German: Schraubkäfig Porsche 996 GT3, Sachnummer:
996.580.982.01.Built year 2000 .Hersteller Semcon. All the details are in the documents. Also with the original Homologation Certificate of Porsche and Certificate of the DMSB( Deutscher Motor Sport Bund e.V). Is there more you want to know??
More detailed info not available. Sorry.........
Cheers,
Luuk ( Sportscarfreak)
Old 10-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Special When Lit
Instructor

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
interesting - didn't know the rs had an extra bar in the back. thanks!
You can see that in those pics :

Here you can see the mounting bracket welded at the bottom of the side pillar :

If you want to use it with OEM parts, you need to order part no. 996 580 985 90 "Additional racing Front-kit for roll bar GT3 RS 04" as pictured here :

Quick Reply: MKI 996 GT3 - Clubsport Rollcage options ?