Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum-103/)
-   -   Another coolant line discussion (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/663139-another-coolant-line-discussion.html)

KOAN 11-02-2011 06:18 PM

Another coolant line discussion

Just had my coolant lines welded. During disassembly, 2 were not tight at the glued junctions. Whew!

gvtesse 11-02-2011 07:44 PM

Sounds like you did it at the right time.

Which ones were coming loose?

cfjan 11-02-2011 07:44 PM

Do the fittings need to come out and be cleaned, then re-insert and weld.. or one can just get the engine out and then clean from the outside and weld? Just curious..

KOAN 11-02-2011 07:45 PM

Didn't get that info. It was from the welder who had the parts. He did a great job...sorry that they are so hidden.

KOAN 11-02-2011 07:46 PM

Because of the epoxy residue, the parts had to be disassembled, cleaned, and then welded.

Serge944 11-02-2011 07:54 PM

Chuck is right, you have to disassemble first and clean the glue. It's really a small effort in the grand scheme of things. There is no way you can do this repair with the pipes still attached to the engine.

multi21 11-02-2011 08:15 PM

Is it necessary to drop the engnie to do this?

SH || NC 11-02-2011 08:25 PM

Absolutely Pete. A lot of disassembly needs to take place to get at all the fittings.

+1 to what Chuck and Serge mentioned re: cleaning

KOAN 11-02-2011 08:40 PM

There are 8 fittings that need to be repaired.

cfjan 11-02-2011 08:41 PM

Thanks for the info.. !

996FLT6 11-02-2011 09:25 PM

Chuck has your shop done nething to prevent the hoses from popping out? Seems like it can be the hose or the press fittings that let's go. Mike

KOAN 11-02-2011 09:30 PM

The hose is clamped to a thin aluminum pipe that is glued to the cast aluminum. The hose and clamps were fine. Two of the 8 glued fittings were loose. That seems to be what so many people have reported as the site of failure, and that is why I did this PM.

JohnPG 11-02-2011 09:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Timely post. I dropped the car off at Conway's last week to take care of this issue. I'm heading down to VIR and figured if I drive 12-14 hours to get there, sure as heck if one of the fittings is going to go it's going to go there.

Got a call from Ken on Monday, he said one of the fitting was very loose. All it took was an easy twist, like pulling the cap off a bic pen to pull the nipple from the casting.

A couple of pics. First shows the fitting was already out of the casting about 1/4 of an inch. The second shows the fitting with the old hardened adhesive.

The third shows the work some mice did before I got the car.

KOAN 11-02-2011 09:49 PM

Whew....good catch! A few weeks ago, a GT3 let go at Mid Ohio and caused carnage behind him. I can't believe there is no class action suit regarding this. There are articles in Pano and Excellence, many threads here, etc.

Rovman 11-02-2011 10:15 PM

The more i read about this PM, the more i am facing reality that I am going to have to perform this on my car soon. I am setting the car up over the winter for some track time and as much as I want to spend money on other goodies. I think i should spend it here first....... My only problem is I live in Louisiana where, to my knowledge, there are no Porsche shops familiar with this type of repair. I am in the Houston area alot, perhaps I can find a recommended shop in that area. Any recommendations concerning a shop that can perform the welded coolant fitting repair in the gulf south???? If i can't find a shop relatively local i guess i will have to travel a bit.

I used the search function but didnt find anything in my area......

Thanks for any and all info you guys and gals can share....