Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS bumper upper radiator slots

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 10:03 PM
P-nache
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nick, your attention to detail is amazing. Maybe we can "subsidize" one another by doing some projects twice at the same time - I'll haul mine up to FOCO, and watch your surgical magic...Great seeing you last weekend!
The following users liked this post:
Nickshu (09-27-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 07:40 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I finally got around to doing this conversion on my front bumper. After blowing a coolant hose at the track my car is at the shop getting a bunch of stuff done on it so I brought the bumper home to make the cutouts. Worth noting that I found the templates to be small compared to the actual measurements posted earlier here so I made my own templates. I cut the areas out with a Dremel tool using a plastic cut off wheel, did the end curves with a Roto-zip bit, then smoothed/finished the edges with a sandpaper wheel. I only had one little "oops" with the sandpaper wheel which you can see in the photos (darn). I used the cutout pieces from the bumper to "emboss" the aluminum mesh then tacked it in place with hot glue followed by Locktite plastic bonder epoxy. The mesh I used was from Amazon and is for motorcycle radiators. I painted the cut edges with a silver paintmarker before installing the mesh (worked/matched surprisingly well). I then used a piece of urethane type plastic I found around the house to block the lower holes and bonded it in place with 3M Window-weld urethane adhesive/sealer. I'm pretty happy with how it came out, especially for a freehand cut out. The shop is installing the GT2 radiator duct and flipping the radiator (going to all aluminum radiators x3, should be nice) before reinstalling the modified bumper. Can't wait!

Here's the mesh I used which I was very happy with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Very cool undertake. However, you didn’t take out any cars did you with the coolant leaking? Surprised you’d risk it for yourself and others out on track.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:21 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 968 Likes on 647 Posts

Here is some more information for the knowledge base on this.....996 Cup cars have NO ducting behind the center radiator. None at all.

This past weekend I was at VIR and had a chance to see a 996 Cup car that has 1000 original miles and has never been raced. It is owned by a Porsche dealer and has been used as a dealer demo/showroom car since new, only used at the track to drive politicians and celebs around for demo laps. So the car is all original and untouched. Some of you may know this car, I believe it's owned by Euroclassics Porsche in Richmond, VA.

I looked at the top- exit center radiator setup and was surprised to find there is NO ducting at all. Just the front duct between the air intake bumper opening and the radiator, and of course no exit slots under the bumper. Airflow just finds it's way up through the top of the bumper on it's own w/o any duct. This explains why in the Cup car center radiator diagram posted here there is no mention of any ducting behind the center radiator.

Here are some photos I snapped of it:

Old 10-19-2019, 03:16 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 129 Posts

Here is some more information for the knowledge base on this.....996 Cup cars have NO ducting behind the center radiator. None at all.

This past weekend I was at VIR and had a chance to see a 996 Cup car that has 1000 original miles and has never been raced. It is owned by a Porsche dealer and has been used as a dealer demo/showroom car since new, only used at the track to drive politicians and celebs around for demo laps. So the car is all original and untouched. Some of you may know this car, I believe it's owned by Euroclassics Porsche in Richmond, VA.

I looked at the top- exit center radiator setup and was surprised to find there is NO ducting at all. Just the front duct between the air intake bumper opening and the radiator, and of course no exit slots under the bumper. Airflow just finds it's way up through the top of the bumper on it's own w/o any duct. This explains why in the Cup car center radiator diagram posted here there is no mention of any ducting behind the center radiator.

Here are some photos I snapped of it:

Hard to see in the pics but is the center radiator canted forward on the 996 CUP?
Old 10-20-2019, 01:00 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

Yes it is. From the 2005 Cup car manual: Note the 'R' alongside of part #6 - the standoff. The designates a Porsche Motorsports part (as opposed to the factory street car)

Ray

Old 10-20-2019, 08:23 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

Some pics of my 996 cup sans front bumper. As per 2nd pic, there is only a very slight lean forward for the center radiator. As you would expect, this set up works very well. Coolant temp never goes above around 85 deg celcius when out on track going by my motec data. Tbh I’m not sure why you would need a duct as area behind the center radiator is quite well compartmentalized already. There would perhaps be minimal escape to the sides of the center radiator, however I feel the front intake ducts for the side radiators would further minimalize this. My guess is Porsche did the center ducting for the GT2 because of a) higher HP output requiring more cooling and b) water cooled turbos placing increased strain on the cooling system.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:28 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wind911
Hard to see in the pics but is the center radiator canted forward on the 996 CUP?
It is perfectly vertical...which if you use the spacers described in the Cup parts diagram above it puts the radiator in a vertical position, actually not canted forward but compared to the stock 6-GT3 position it does open up the top area for air to exit upwards.

Then, as you know, the Cup bumper has no openings on the bottom so the only place the incoming air can go is upwards out the top of the bumper.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:31 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbahr
Yes it is. From the 2005 Cup car manual: Note the 'R' alongside of part #6 - the standoff. The designates a Porsche Motorsports part (as opposed to the factory street car)

Ray

Note there is no rear exit ducting mentioned in the diagram.

I am still trying to figure out what part #14 is though....
Old 10-20-2019, 10:07 PM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Note there is no rear exit ducting mentioned in the diagram.

I am still trying to figure out what part #14 is though....
It looks like it bolts to the top of the duct? does it direct air down into the radiator away from the mating surface between the radiator top and bracket #3? I'm speculating based on the pic..
Old 10-20-2019, 11:12 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

Spiller: your center radiator does look a little like it is leaning forward - could be the lens...

Part 14 looks like it bolts to the top of the rubber duct... Probably a bit more support for the radiator

Quick Reply: RS bumper upper radiator slots