Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes swap - lost one damper

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011 | 02:21 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Default Brakes swap - lost one damper

I replaced the front PFC-06s with 01s and in the process I lost one of the middle damping plates. The problem is the little spider clip thing that seats in the caliper broke off and I couldn't get it out of the piston. (it was the middle piston)

I usually remove the dampers altogether, but they've survided this long so I left them in. So now I have 2 dampers and the middle piston doesn't.

Anyone see a major downside to this? I have the ability to grab a new set before my track outing this weekend, but I'm not really seeing the need.

I also forgot how loud these things were on the street. For the first couple miles they sounded like they were chewing up the rotors, and then they just went into squeak mode.

-td
Old 09-09-2011 | 05:36 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't expect a problem. However, I have never used the spiders. Will the middle piston press directly on the pad backing plate? If so, there should be no problem.
I'll be switching back to 01's from 06's in a few weeks. I'll be eager to hear your impressions.
Old 09-10-2011 | 05:19 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

By damping plates can I assume that you mean ceramic isolators?

If so, I would not drive without them unless the pads are new, which they probably are in your case. As the pads wear, and the pistons come out of the caliper, I would be worried about the piston without the puck coming out too much and leaking or jamming.
Old 09-10-2011 | 06:37 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

I agree, if you are describing the ceramic isolator pucks. I would not run without them. If you mean the spiders, I would not worry.
Old 09-13-2011 | 05:49 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Spiders, no sweat I'd leave all of them off -
Old 09-13-2011 | 07:20 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
I wouldn't expect a problem. However, I have never used the spiders. Will the middle piston press directly on the pad backing plate? If so, there should be no problem.
I'll be switching back to 01's from 06's in a few weeks. I'll be eager to hear your impressions.
I've switched back and forth over the years, but primarily stayed with 06s because of their consistency and longevity. This weekend I went over to the 01s and they do stop more aggressively, but I found them increasing in torque over the braking zone, and primarily at the end. This caused some timing issues for a session or two while I worked up to the right braking spot. Also, brake release and trail braking were a bit different, as it almost felt like I had to immediately release 25-30%, and then start the trailbraking from there. Could have been my imagination though.

A great pad, easy to use - no bedding required and stops like tossing out an anchor.

-td
Old 09-14-2011 | 02:13 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

I have heard that they are difficult to modulate, which is what I think I hear you saying. When I was using Pagid blacks, I didn't have that problem, but bedding is an art with them. So many options...so few opportunities to test...

Quick Reply: Brakes swap - lost one damper