Sponsored by:

Yokohama AD08 tyre review

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 07:49 AM
terrybGT3MR
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Yokohama AD08 tyre review

Note - Originally posted in the UK as we have a problem with tyre availability for 996 GT3/RS tyre sizes at the moment - Toyo R888s, Cups, Corsa's, etc are all unavailable in 18's.

I've had these for about 3 weeks now and done 1500 miles including a return trip to the Ring and 13 laps there yesterday. For reference I have used Cups and R888s previously and the car is very stiff and track biased.

I went with the AD08s due to lack of availability of others and this is widely discussed on here. They are reported to be a half way house between a top spec road tyre and a track tyre - and that also fitted the bill for what I wanted. Last year on relatively new Cups at the Ring the whole setup was just too stiff and didn't inspire me with confidence in the car.

On the road

The AD08s are much, much quieter than R888s and as they are softer sidewalls, then they add a big dose of extra damping too. In fact there is no noise associated with them and my ears aren't ringing after the drone you get from R888s and I'm not shaken, battered and bruised as I would be with Cups. The car set-up is stiff, so these tyres have made it just that much more comfortable. In fact a return trip to the Ring this weekend was actually pleasant and the Mrs enjoyed driving it too

On the Ring

Given the extra compliance I experienced on the road, I was expecting a more confidence inspiring set up on the Ring. However I was worried that could be offset with overheating and the tyres going off too quickly and/ or just not having the grip that you would hope for. I was right about the confidence but the grip was awesome (I got my laps down to 8.24 with traffic and 2 yellow flag areas - so think an 8.10 if clear). No problems with overheating unless I did 3 laps in quick succession and no particular problems with degrading of tyres or massive tyre wear, etc. I did notice a "squirm" noise from the tyres - this is like a very quiet squeal - but that also let you know when you were really using them - they have 8mm tread so it is understandable - but these cannot be compared to a normal road tyre as there is just so much more grip

Verdict

They cost me about £970 ($1500) delivered from demon tweeks and I am very, very happy with them. So much so that I am now thinking of not having the suspension fettled by Centre Gravity in October as I don't think I need to anymore. I fancy doing less UK trackdays and more Euro trips to drive the Ring and other circuits and I think these tyres will be ideal for that. They are also very good in the wet and we did have some torrential downpours on Saturday on those slippery, shiny Belgian roads

They won't be the best if you're only wanting track tyres, but if you want a mix of road and track and are happy to not be trying to do 20 laps at a time, etc then I think you'll love them. Well worth the money and for me possibly the best tyres I've ever had on the GT3.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Terry
Old 09-04-2011, 08:05 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks for the review and welcome to RL, getting 18" tyres is becoming a real issue here in Europe; especially, if you want to run 315s+.
For example the AD08s have max 295 width..
You went for 225/285 or played with mk2 sizes?

I use camskill for toyos and now waiting for a set of 315 / 255 AO48.

beautiful MK1 btw.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:22 AM
terrybGT3MR
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 9 Posts

John, I use RS standard tyre sizes so 235/40/18 front and 295/30/18 rear.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:40 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 797 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Thanks for the review and welcome to RL, getting 18" tyres is becoming a real issue here in Europe; especially, if you want to run 315s+.
For example the AD08s have max 295 width..
You went for 225/285 or played with mk2 sizes?

I use camskill for toyos and now waiting for a set of 315 / 255 AO48.

beautiful MK1 btw.

Been running AD08 for several years and agree with your evaluation. They grip well and very progressive break away with no snap oversteer. They like heat and I shoot for a hot pressure of 38 to 40#'s. Don't let the 295/18 fool you it is 11.5" wide. The same as most 315's :-). I have 8 track days on my current set and they show minimal wear.

Peter
Old 09-04-2011, 11:48 PM
jlasuncion
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use them on my civic track car and love it. However, I wasn't sure if it would be good on gt3 so just ordered a set sport cups, if I knew this earlier I would have ordered ad08s. In p-world people only talk about corsa or mpsc.
Ad08s a great reliable tires that last long and work well in hot conditions.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:28 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the review Terry. I just bought a set of slightly used AD08 for the rain, so your comments are comforting, and confirm that I made the right choice.

Am now running Hoosiers and a set of worn Cups just doesn't cut it in standing water. A few weeks ago at Tremblant, the cups were ok in the wet, but as the rain got harder, and standing water developed well, as John would say, the Cups started conspiring to kill me
Old 09-06-2011, 10:33 AM
loworbitsi
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've run my AD08s all season. Over 15 autocrosses and just did MidOhio PDX on Friday. The ambient temps were in the upper 90s and the tires didn't really ever complain. They stayed very composed, and I ran them 38 PSI hot. I'm very happy with the show up and driveability of the tire.

Quick Reply: Yokohama AD08 tyre review