Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin slick failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 05:23 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would speculate on low pressure early. I prefer to go out with 24/25 PSI and bleed them down.

I also prefer to keep it a little higher hot. 31/32 PSI. The wear patterns seems to support this.

Michelin slicks require very high pressures to get seated when mounting. They are a PITA to mount/unmount.

Anyway. Welcome to the "Prematurely Used Up Slick" club, Chris. They are very sensitive to setup and changes in conditions that don't do as much to r-comps can ruin a slick very quickly.
I butchered my slicks at Calabogie because the place wants more camber than Tremblant. Could have lasted another 5-8 heat cycles otherwise.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

The tires were only 4 days old when they failed. I ran the first heat cycle at 24psi cold so i don't think they were under inflated. Many guys run them at 21psi cold as a starting temp.
The first sessions on them I was not running too hard, I had never run on slicks before and wanted to see how they felt and worked my way to the edge of adhesion.
The front tires were also starting (see pic). These were N1 tires so made for P cars so the weight should not be much of an issue....again, lots of guys run these with success.
The tires were new (this year) and the rear were S9H which are the new compound it seems.
Looks like Michelin may be willing to replace them under warranty for me. Thanks you Speedmerchants for helping out!
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2011, 01:13 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Definitely looks like a bad batch.

I'll watch mine very closely for this from now on.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:21 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by amaist
Definitely looks like a bad batch.

I'll watch mine very closely for this from now on.
+1
Interesting...
Old 08-25-2011, 06:55 PM
SaintGt2
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought a set for the first time, normally run hoosiers R6. Hope this doesn't happen to me straight up. Looks like a bad batch.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:19 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Ah yes Chris, chasing down the .2RS in the 996, second only to chasing down the Cups.

Anyway, could be urban legend, but I heard a couple of guys talking about how these slicks can blow up without warning, and why they did not use them anymore. I found this very odd as this is a racing tire, but this is definitely what was said.

Can't remember who or when (it's an age thing), but possibly at the club race at Mosport???
Old 08-28-2011, 08:06 PM
gordonc
Advanced

what sizes are u running front /rear thanks G

Quick Reply: Michelin slick failure