Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First HPDE with PCA Potomac - WOW

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 08:04 AM
vtwin996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome write up. In addition to Guard LSD upgrade, also consider the rear toe links. That solved my problem in settling the rear in high speed braking.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:34 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to be alarmist, but IMO folks should fix the coolant fittings before sliding too far down the slope; its not sexy, but falls under 'safety'
Old 08-20-2011, 08:53 AM
joshd
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vtwin996
Awesome write up. In addition to Guard LSD upgrade, also consider the rear toe links. That solved my problem in settling the rear in high speed braking.
Originally Posted by SH || NC
Not to be alarmist, but IMO folks should fix the coolant fittings before sliding too far down the slope; its not sexy, but falls under 'safety'
Yeah, I'm going to try to take my car to Geoff at ASG some time in the near future to have him check the LSD, investigate a weird clunking in the front right suspension, do a brake fluid flush, talk about installation of a roll ball and harnesses, as well as possibly fix the coolant fitting preemptively, and perform some suspension adjustments. I should probably just give him my bank account info.

The car already has the RSS adjustable rear kit so it might just need some tweaks to the setup.

Last edited by joshd; 08-20-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:54 AM
KJinDC
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey Josh! Glad you had a good time. And you're right... The car, when set-up correctly, is amazing!
I was your twin down at the other end of the paddock. For the rear wandering under braking, I'd add a click or two of compression to the front shocks and see how it feels. Pay attention to the car since it may add a bit more understeer at turn-in.

I hope to see you around the track more.

-KJ
Old 08-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Josh, great writeup and I am glad to see you are taking care of the car.

For the rear being a little squirmy under braking I am guessing it is the alignment with the 19s on the car. My reason for this is because it appears from your pictures the rear has been raised from where it was when you bought it from me. This will cause the effect you are describing under hard braking at the track. Also you will get some squirm from street tires as the tread will move.

When you take the car to ASG talk to them about the alignment differences with the 18s and the 19s on it. When I had the car originally setup it was with the 18s installed with a track setup and we then installed the 19s for the street. This is part of the reason the car sat so low and the rear was a little tight with the 19" street wheels. Keep shooting me emails or call me if you have anymore questions
Old 08-25-2011, 11:10 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice write-up Josh, you ended up with the best possible car
Old 08-26-2011, 09:06 AM
joshd
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone for the responses and advice. I have a ton of information to synthesize. For the moment, I've settled on the following changes before my next event (probably not until Oct.):

- use the 18" OEM wheels, most likely with Nitto NT-01s in 315/30-18 rear and 245/40-18 front.
- most likely install DAS roll bar and schroth harnesses
- take the car to ASG and check out the alignment, ride height, sway bar settings, and LSD
- start with an extra click or two of compression on the front

Originally Posted by KJinDC
Hey Josh! Glad you had a good time. And you're right... The car, when set-up correctly, is amazing!
I was your twin down at the other end of the paddock. For the rear wandering under braking, I'd add a click or two of compression to the front shocks and see how it feels. Pay attention to the car since it may add a bit more understeer at turn-in.

I hope to see you around the track more.

-KJ
KJ - Nice meeting you. Your car looked great and you appeared to be flying around the track! I happened to be watching when you passed the green RS down the straight which was great to see.

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Josh, great writeup and I am glad to see you are taking care of the car.

For the rear being a little squirmy under braking I am guessing it is the alignment with the 19s on the car. My reason for this is because it appears from your pictures the rear has been raised from where it was when you bought it from me. This will cause the effect you are describing under hard braking at the track. Also you will get some squirm from street tires as the tread will move.

When you take the car to ASG talk to them about the alignment differences with the 18s and the 19s on it. When I had the car originally setup it was with the 18s installed with a track setup and we then installed the 19s for the street. This is part of the reason the car sat so low and the rear was a little tight with the 19" street wheels. Keep shooting me emails or call me if you have anymore questions
Thanks for the feedback Seth and your continuing advice and responses to my never ending e-mails

If by 'taking care of the car' you mean trying to learn how to drive it as hard as possible, then yes I'm definitely doing that.

I did have the car corner balanced and aligned at RRT before the HPDE. I'm not sure if they raised the rear at all but it's definitely possible. I will definitely use the 18" rims next time and have the car setup for those wheels as well as use some R-compound tires so we'll see if that quells the rear squirming issue a bit.

Originally Posted by FFaust
Nice write-up Josh, you ended up with the best possible car
Agreed ... I couldn't be happier. I mean I wouldn't kick a 997.2 GT3RS out of my garage, but for the money it can't be beat.

Also this forum is extremely helpful. I completely ripped off the cup front lip the other day but fortunately there is already a post on here showing me exactly how to re-secure it.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Bman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Lightbulb

Great to meet you and thanks for the write up!

Tony was really impressed with you and your car. Nice job for your first time out. I had the same fears when I first drove my GT2 at VIR earlier this. To my surprise, I got comfortable in the car very quickly but I am still blown away everytime I drive it. Enjoy your SWEET GT3 and I look forward to seeing you on track.

VIR ?????

Btw, watch out for that white Cayman

Quick Reply: First HPDE with PCA Potomac - WOW