Colorado GT3 help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:37 PM
CeeP
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colorado GT3 help?

Hi folks,

I've been lurking for a while to see what I could learn about GT3s and now am in a position to be able to move on one (I really liked that white one in Georgia with Euro seats a few weeks back but I wasn't ready just yet).

I found this one on Autotrader:

http://www.porscheofcoloradosprings....rsche911/C1865

Anyone know anything about it? As a noob to the Porsche world, I like the fact that it has another year or so under Porsche Certification, but does anyone know this car? I'm in CA and am talking to the dealer via email, but buying an expensive car sight unseen makes me a little nervous.

Help appreciated!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:35 AM
joshd
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CeeP
Hi folks,

I've been lurking for a while to see what I could learn about GT3s and now am in a position to be able to move on one (I really liked that white one in Georgia with Euro seats a few weeks back but I wasn't ready just yet).

I found this one on Autotrader:

http://www.porscheofcoloradosprings....rsche911/C1865

Anyone know anything about it? As a noob to the Porsche world, I like the fact that it has another year or so under Porsche Certification, but does anyone know this car? I'm in CA and am talking to the dealer via email, but buying an expensive car sight unseen makes me a little nervous.

Help appreciated!
Well I'm glad you didn't pull the trigger on the white car in GA and buy it out from under me since I'm enjoying the hell out of it now. :thumb up:

I'm still not much of an expert but here are my thoughts:

That is good looking and very well optioned car with low miles. I personally love the color as well as the deviated sticking and carbon package.

As far as price goes, I paid a bit less then their asking for Seth's car however his came with Moton Club Sport suspension, Euro seats, RS carbon fiber wing, 19" HREs, and Performance Friction rotors and pads. Those modifications are probably worth around $10k ... so keep that in mind when/if making an offer on this car. My thought is that you should be able to acquire this car in the mid to high $50ks.

Also keep in mind that if you intend to track the car, the PCCBs are actually a liability in that the consumables are very expensive. My understanding is that most people end up switching back to steel brakes for track duty so that will cost you extra. Use that as leverage if they try to give you some BS about how the PCCBs are great for the track and therefore justify a higher selling price for the car.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:40 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like it has some nice options and a warranty.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:58 PM
CeeP
Intermediate

Thanks for the opinions. Since I'd have to ship the car (just had twins! Seems like a good time to buy a two seater :P) and I want to pull the pccbs, I'm going to see if I can get the price down. I'm a fan of the color too, but white on black would be my first choice.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:23 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

not sure how many functions you have access to until you become a Rennlist member,

but if you can do a search...... all you have do is change to the steel rotors if that is what your plans are, pccb pads will work, but most change those too....

there are many threads here on pccbs, here is one thread title to check out

""Street Pads for 996 GT3 with PCCB caliper with steel rotors""

Last edited by faster; 08-02-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Carpyourdiem
Track Day

Default CO in September

CeeP...I'll be in Colorado in early September, about an hour south of the Springs, and will be happy to put eyeballs on the car if it's still in play.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:14 PM
CeeP
Intermediate

Thanks Carpyourdiem. I've put in an offer on the car and hopefully should know if we can make a deal in the next few days. If it's not done by Sept, I'll take you up on that though!
Old 08-03-2011, 12:29 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joshd
As far as price goes, I paid a bit less then their asking for Seth's car however his came with Moton Club Sport suspension, Euro seats, RS carbon fiber wing, 19" HREs, and Performance Friction rotors and pads. Those modifications are probably worth around $10k ...
I wish those mods were worth a mere $10K - probably more like $15-25k to be honest...

*Euro seats are running $2.5-3K on Rennlist used, and around $4.5K new.
*Motons run around $6K new, around $8k installed and configured
*RS Carbon Fiber wing runs $2-3K used, perhaps $5K new
*19" HREs must be $2-3K used, perhaps $5K new
*PFC pads and rotors - $1-2K

In aggregate, that is a range in cost (used to new) of $13-25K including labor. As someone who chose to buy a mint, used, low-milage "6" GT3 back in 2006 and make it into a dedicated track car, I have learned the hard way that I should have bought one already configured & optimized....

Best of luck with the search. Mods are a slippery, slippery slope....

-Blake
Old 08-03-2011, 01:40 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

The other side of the coin: you start with a blank perfect canvas and make it your own.

Another benefit IMO to the 'canvas' approach is that most who have never driven one before are likely best starting out with a stock car. Only adding then to the safety compliments, and/or minor upgrades for track duty.

Biased? Yes. This was my approach. There were a few mildly prepped GT3s for sale when I was looking, but never having driven one, I didn't need more of anything - I just wanted a stock, clean example, and added in my own safety gear before my first event.

JMHO, YMMV, etc.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:27 PM
joshd
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
I wish those mods were worth a mere $10K - probably more like $15-25k to be honest...
Understood ... I was being conservative for the purpose of deducting the amount from my price paid to arrive at what might be a fair offer for similar car without such mods since once hardly ever recoups the price paid for parts and labor on mods.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:01 PM
CeeP
Intermediate

Welp - I made an offer, they accepted, today I get the paperwork (I'm 900 miles away remember) and it says "no warranty, as-is." I call to ask, they say, "Hmmm, I'll call you back." They call back and the car is in fact not Certified. It was in the past, but that had long expired. They told me *I* could certify it for $2600. I said no. They said they could give me $1k off. I said if they gave me the $1k and ate their doc fee ($500), we'd have a deal. They said no. So, I thought about it and asked for my deposit back. The search continues!

faster, you still have that white on black for sale?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:12 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

how much did you offer them initially ?
I wonder how much those gt3 at the dealer can be marked down. I really like the color but as many have said it is quite pricey for a car without any of the mods required.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:26 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

IMHO, stop trying to even consider buying from a dealer. buy a car setup for your needs from a private party. save 000's....
Old 08-10-2011, 12:40 AM
faster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CeeP
Welp - I made an offer, they accepted, today I get the paperwork (I'm 900 miles away remember) and it says "no warranty, as-is." I call to ask, they say, "Hmmm, I'll call you back." They call back and the car is in fact not Certified. It was in the past, but that had long expired. They told me *I* could certify it for $2600. I said no. They said they could give me $1k off. I said if they gave me the $1k and ate their doc fee ($500), we'd have a deal. They said no. So, I thought about it and asked for my deposit back. The search continues!

faster, you still have that white on black for sale?

Yes Sir, just committed to ween myself from it yesterday.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:48 PM
CeeP
Intermediate

@philoo - this particular car is on consignment, so every offer I made had to go back to the owner for approval. Initially I offered $57, which was mostly just laughed at.

As an aside, given how slow I really am at the track, a stock car suits me just fine (especially if it comes with warranty...which it does not :P). Something my wife can drive makes it easier to convince her to let me get one too, though if joshd's car came up for sale again, I'd go bug him...

Quick Reply: Colorado GT3 help?