Sponsored by:

Coolant Flush?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 02:52 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Coolant Flush?

It's been 5 year since my GT3 has had a coolant flush (2006)... A few years back (2008), I had a coolant hose split throwing coolant all over the engine during a DE. My local track mechanic added a lot of water to the system. The car has not been driven much in three years, but I am concerned that my coolant to water ratio is off, and I want to track the car later this summer...

I'd like to flush it myself, and am contemplating buying the UView 550000 Airlift system to leverage my compressor at the track garage...

So what do you guys do, and what do you recommend?

Specifically-
  • Should I flush it myself, or take it to the dealer?
  • What does a dealer charge for this?
  • How often do you guys flush the coolant?
  • Are ther any DIY threads on a coolant flush? (I am coming up with zero threads on the GT3)
Thanks,
-Blake
Old 07-22-2011, 12:21 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Google "Pedrosgarage" do it yourself. It's a boxster but should be similar. Mike
Old 07-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
It's been 5 year since my GT3 has had a coolant flush (2006)... A few years back (2008), I had a coolant hose split throwing coolant all over the engine during a DE. My local track mechanic added a lot of water to the system. The car has not been driven much in three years, but I am concerned that my coolant to water ratio is off, and I want to track the car later this summer...

I'd like to flush it myself, and am contemplating buying the UView 550000 Airlift system to leverage my compressor at the track garage...

So what do you guys do, and what do you recommend?

Specifically-
  • Should I flush it myself, or take it to the dealer?
  • What does a dealer charge for this?
  • How often do you guys flush the coolant?
  • Are ther any DIY threads on a coolant flush? (I am coming up with zero threads on the GT3)
Thanks,
-Blake
If you have a place to do the drain (no need to flush unless the cooling system contaminated) and refill and other hardware necessary including a way to use the UView 550000 Airlift system that you are thinking of buying I'd say do it yourself.

No need to flush the system. Just drain the old coolant out. Add the proper mixture of Porsche anti-freeze and distilled water using the Airlift system and that's that.

Since I have no place to do the work and no place to store the tools and equipment I have this done at the dealer. I can't recall the cost but it is not that high.

Also, in every case both with my Boxster (3 or 4 times now) and with my Turbo (once) the cooling system has been properly refilled with no air pockets, no need to add any fluid afterwards.

BTW, if you are thinking of tracking the car does the track allow cars with anti-freeze to participate or should you perhaps fill the system with something else, some non-anti-freeze like additive?

If this is the case then you might want to 'invest' in the Airlift system since you might want to switch from track 'coolant' mix to something more suitable for use on the street and having the Airlift system then can pay for itself.

Oh, how often to change the coolant? While of course Porsche claims this is lifetime coolant I still like to change it every 4 or 5 years. It is not the block or heads I fear corroding through but a head gasket or one of the thin walls of tubes that make up the water/oil heat exchanger or the radiators or even the heater core.

Sorry, can't help you with a coolant drain/refill DIY on the GT3.

I think though in my 996 Turbo references there's a section on the GT2. Let me check.. be right back.

There's no specific instructions on the GT2 regarding coolant. There are for instance other specific instructions for example changing the transmission fluid. Maybe the GT3/GT2 and the 996 Turbo are the same in this coolant drain/refill business? 'course you really should know for sure.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:28 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't change it.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:24 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 07-23-2011, 03:05 AM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

$185 to switch from coolant to Water+WW at TRG, including the WW. Haven't done it yet, but that was their quote. Not sure what the price would be to replace coolant. Probably $10,000/gal. at the dealer.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:11 AM
Elijah K
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Summer traveling requires a fresh radiator that can help your vehicle's engine beat the warmth. Deposit accumulation can clog the air conditioning and lead to motor overheating that leaves you dead on the highway. Knowing the way to flush your radiator and replace the antifreeze before that hot summer trip will conserve you money. Check this out: How to flush your radiator. You can check that out for a detailed information.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:44 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Be kind to your friends at the track and use water+water wetter during the season. Put anti-freeze in when the season is over. You'll end up flushing your coolant system twice a year and you will make the track a little safer is something comes loose. And it DOES happen
Old 07-30-2011, 03:55 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for all the advice.... I am leaning towards water wetter to be polite to those on the track as I have already had a coolant spill during a DE due to blown hoses a few years back.... I'll check quotes for the flush with the local PCar dealer - but may just attempt it myself...

And special thanks to Macster for the extensive reply. Much obliged...

-Blake
Old 08-15-2011, 04:43 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

To revive this thread...

Spoke with Local Dealer this afternoon, and they are charging $195 for labor to flush & replace coolant, plus $80 for the Porsche "factory" coolant itself (2 gallons).

I'm leaning heavily towards Water Wetter - will I need one or two bottles at $9.95 each?

Thanks,
-Blake
Old 08-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
To revive this thread...

Spoke with Local Dealer this afternoon, and they are charging $195 for labor to flush & replace coolant, plus $80 for the Porsche "factory" coolant itself (2 gallons).

I'm leaning heavily towards Water Wetter - will I need one or two bottles at $9.95 each?

Thanks,
-Blake
That ain't a bad price. Labor alone here where I live is $150/hour and then there is the cost of the anti-freeze and sales taxes and so on. Roughly I'm looking at around $500 for a coolant drain and refill.

Next time I head out on a road trip I might plan my route up that way and have the coolant changed up there in Utah!

Oh, can't help you with Water Wetter question directly. But pick up a bottle and read the directions. I'm pretty sure the amount/ratio of WW to water will be given.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:18 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

I used only one bottle FYI. I don't think 2 bottles won't hurt either. Mike
Old 08-15-2011, 08:29 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

The only thing relative is waterwetter doesn't offer ne lubrication so if for some reason a hose pop the waterpump is running dry and probably grenade and leak like mine. Mike
Old 08-16-2011, 01:12 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
...But pick up a bottle and read the directions. I'm pretty sure the amount/ratio of WW to water will be given.

Sincerely,

Macster.
I think mine was just a bit short of 2 bottles and I ended up putting it all in there.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:24 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+100 on Water Wetter - I've seen some nasty wrecks because of antifreeze.

Quick Reply: Coolant Flush?