996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst track day moment so far

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011 | 12:07 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Red Mist = A feeling of extreme competitiveness or anger that temporarily clouds one's judgment. Typically leads to an incident resulting from that driver error. We see this in DE's all time (and obviously in racing) where a guy gets passed by a "slower" car and believes there is no way a slower car could be faster than him and attempts to drive flat out to try and prove something. That's when driver talent typically runs out.
Old 07-14-2011 | 12:13 PM
mtesh73
Advanced

nice off line passes. that rs was squirrely throughout the whole session, a bunch of double inputs. glad everyone is ok.
Old 07-14-2011 | 02:43 PM
Rev_2_8k
Racer

I hope he had track insurance.... that or deep pockets
Old 07-16-2011 | 09:38 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

I'm all for editing pics out etc, but what actually happened? Orange car hit a barrier?

Strange place to overtake on a trackday I agree, most trackdays in the UK you can only pass on straights and normally only on the outside.
Old 07-16-2011 | 02:04 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Car went off real hard and hit the crash barrier and was seriously damaged. Passenger had serious neck issues although they were strapped in a 6 Points Schroth, caged and helmets. Feels bad to see a fellow 'racer' go off like that regardless if he was able to drive or not.

We can pass where ever you want on these events as long as you are doing it safe. Car up front can keep his racing line and the other car has to find a way. Same as in real racing and therefore i like it. Seen some US passing moments and must say that is VERY safe indeed. A bit too for me. Sometimes people use their indicter to signal where they go so you can overtake the opposite side. Goes pretty well here i must say the same goes for most of the driving events here in Europe. And yes this is one of those events where basically everybody can drive so potential high speed differences. there are other events where the entry levels are a bit higher.
Old 07-16-2011 | 05:12 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Q&A
Car went off real hard and hit the crash barrier and was seriously damaged. Passenger had serious neck issues although they were strapped in a 6 Points Schroth, caged and helmets. Feels bad to see a fellow 'racer' go off like that regardless if he was able to drive or not.

We can pass where ever you want on these events as long as you are doing it safe. Car up front can keep his racing line and the other car has to find a way. Same as in real racing and therefore i like it. Seen some US passing moments and must say that is VERY safe indeed. A bit too for me. Sometimes people use their indicter to signal where they go so you can overtake the opposite side. Goes pretty well here i must say the same goes for most of the driving events here in Europe. And yes this is one of those events where basically everybody can drive so potential high speed differences. there are other events where the entry levels are a bit higher.
- Don't know if it was the case, but I would NEVER drive with a 5/6-point without a HANS or other.

- Correct on the passing and passee staying on the line. When everyone knows, it's very safe, i.e. no surprises

- Here in NA, the turn signal or point-by tells the passor where to pass. If I flash left, I expect you to pass me on the left

Old 07-16-2011 | 05:21 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Wear a Hans. It's worth the effort.
Old 07-16-2011 | 09:26 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

I like wearing the Hans. The shoulder belts always cuts into me wo hans. Mike
Old 07-21-2011 | 03:05 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Pretty wild passing into a corner.