Sponsored by:

Viper Days by NARRA - Review and Results

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 07:41 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Viper Days by NARRA - Review and Results

Had to take a moment and write up a review of this last week's Viper Days event put on by NARRA. I had an absolute blast, despite the heat, which was of course expected in July at VIR. I really kind of stumbled on this event by looking at VIR's calendar for something I could attend in July. And I'm glad I did.

First, the event layout is similar to a NASA event - racing, time trials, and HPDE. However, the difference is in the number of attendees and a very personal nature of the event. All total there were about 130-140 participants. DE is broken up in 2 groups with Solo and Green. You would think this would be rough given the difference in skill, but it actually worked out well with probably about 20 or so cars in each group (for VIR this is very low, since some events put as many as 45 cars on track at once!). With 4 sessions each day you get tons of track time! Yes, there are some Solo drivers who refuse to give you a pass, but if you hound them enough they will typically give (pretty much like any other DE).

Racing - I was just an observer this weekend, but Viper Cup is pretty cool. Race is televised, so there are TV cameras and crew all around the track. These guys really run their cars, no afraid of some rubbing. Fastest guy was knocking out 1:54-55 in 93 degree heat - those familiar with VIR know how fast that is. Second group is primarily older Competition Coupes and an occasional Cup car, plus some World Challenge Vettes, also very fun to watch.

Time Trial - this is really a hidden gem. Hoosier contingency is awesome - 2 tires for a win with 3 in class!!! Get 5 cars and 2nd place gets 1 tire. Plus winner in each class gets $100 Cool Shirt Bucks. We probably had 15 or so cars with 4 sessions on track, so you get plenty of time to get a good run in.

Lastly, the event ran very much on time, except one large mishap, which organizers tried very hard to recover from (it was relatively late in the day). Their award ceremony and trophies are very cool! Plus, the whole event is so much more professional than what I'm used to with NASA (not to take anything away from NASA, cause I love the very down to earth home feeling, but this is just different).

If this sounds like an infomercial - it kind of is a little bit. I really did enjoy the event and met some pretty cool folks. Also met the famous Dave aka VR - who was their coaching some folks.

Overall, I'm definitely going again. Their next two events are a bit far from me - Nebraska and Texas, but I'm going to try and make Daytona in the fall. If there is an event near you I would highly recommend it. If you instruct you get one student and run for free or can time trial or race for 50% of the entry fee (this is what I did).

PS - I spoke to the main tech chief (Scott) and he clearly explained that their classing favors the Vipers a bit, but he would love to get more different makes involved and equalize the running. Currently 90% of the cars are Vipers, so that is what he works with. Our cars definitely do well - I took 1st both days in my class with 6 participants with a best time of 2:04.1 (not bad in 90+ degree heat). I'd love to get more folks out there to run with me and if one of the events is going to be near by I'd encourage you to check it out.

A couple of pics with the car all stickered up for the event, me on the podium, and finally little racer in training:

Old 07-12-2011, 12:16 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the report Alex. I'd love to try my hand at racing or tt some day, but first I'd need to understand all the classes
Old 07-12-2011, 07:37 AM
ukrbmw
Pro

It's a lot more simple than it looks. NASA and these guys have a class based solely on hp to weight ratio at 8.7 to 1, which is perfect for our cars (unless you found a way to get some really big power or really stripped the car). Typically the only restriction is you must run DOT-R tire, so no slicks. Pretty much Hoosier A6 or R6 becomes tire of choice.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:36 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"DE is broken up in 2 groups with Solo and Green.....it actually worked out well with probably about 20 or so cars in each group...With 4 sessions each day you get tons of track time"

Thanks for the write up. I like the sound of this....may try to put this on my calendar for next year.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:24 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Very cool Alex. Nicely done
Old 07-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Dark Helmet
Instructor

Thanks for the writeup...

and I don't think they are going to Nebraska... the track is basically underwater... as are all the roads leading in/out... so you skated on that one.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:58 PM
PhilElement
Track Day

Alex good job and nice chatting with you real quick at the podium. I don't think the classing favors the Vipers much....I mean you did run faster than most of TT-Unlimited guys. LOL! I'm pretty sure you were 2nd fastest overall next to me until the USGT Corvette jumped in on one session running a 1:57, right?

We ended up with a torched engine harness after developing an exhaust leak around the wastegate on the first lap of session two but I was able to repair it trackside. Just not in time for the last run that counted but I wasn't going out like that (without showing what the car was capable of). I ran an ugly 1:55 but I'll take a 55 at VIR any way I can get it

Phil Grabow
Element Tuning
Old 07-12-2011, 01:22 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Well, it's almost a month away before NE event, so maybe it'll dry up??

Phil - 1:55 is smoking!! Good to talk to you as well.

Viper comment was more for racers. My car for example caged would be up against VRL competition coupes that were running 1:59 in the race!!
Old 07-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Dark Helmet
Instructor

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
Well, it's almost a month away before NE event, so maybe it'll dry up??
some of the evactuated areas are being told "Christmas at the earliest"... unless they moved the even to Hastings (which I don't think they did, even though it is a superior drivers track, I think MAM is a better track for racing) there is abouta 1% chance they'll be able to get to the track... and it keeps raining... some parts of the state are going to set records for July rainfall I think...
Old 07-12-2011, 04:34 PM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

I was there as well in the Solo / Instructor group... Was a great event with no rain... Friday we had 5 sessions of 30 minutes each, all done with zero delays.
I had my car towed all the way from the Orlando area, definitively worth the trip. VIR is great track!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:55 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
some of the evactuated areas are being told "Christmas at the earliest"... unless they moved the even to Hastings (which I don't think they did, even though it is a superior drivers track, I think MAM is a better track for racing) there is abouta 1% chance they'll be able to get to the track... and it keeps raining... some parts of the state are going to set records for July rainfall I think...
Well, it says Motorsport Park Hastings, so I think they took your advice!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Dark Helmet
Instructor

ah... very good then. all clear, but getting over the Missouri River is still tough, only a couple of bridges are still open.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Congrats Alex. Thought I would share with the group some of your fame from the NARRA press release!

Alex Reznikov set a blistering 2:04.164 pace on Saturday afternoon in his black Porsche 997 GT3- a time that beat that of Booth's Lamborghini on Saturday.

It was too much for David Tenney's Dodge Neon SRT-4, who finished second, and Tim Jelle's Dodge Viper GTS, who was third fastest in class on Saturday.

Reznikov didn't match his Saturday pace on Sunday, however it was still enough to fend off the competition. Jelle, however, found nearly two seconds to close the gap, leapfrogging Tenney to take Sunday's second placed trophy. Tenney finished third.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:22 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Man, 996 can't get no respect. Sheesh.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:36 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

LOL - Now I'm going to charge more for the car if I go to sell it!

Quick Reply: Viper Days by NARRA - Review and Results