Sponsored by:

Hello All , New 6.2 GT3 owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011 | 12:53 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Default Hello All , New 6.2 GT3 owner

Hello everyone,

New member here, I originally posted this in the 964 forum as I was going to get an RSA but had a change of heart and held off to research the 6.2 & 7.1GT3's. After a few months looking I found the car that I was looking for and pulled the trigger. Came close to buying a 7.1GT3 but in the end found a SY 996.2 GT3 with 29,000 miles that is in great shape. Even though it is in great shape cosmetically (looks absolutely brand new inside and out) and mechanically, there are a few things that will need some attention. I believe the LSD is a bit long in the tooth as well as the stock shocks. I plan to get a shock rebuild and revalve to match a new set of springs and a new LSD is in order as well. More updates to come.

Where to begin my introduction, we will go way back.

My Porsche tenure, the first car that I rode in when leaving the hospital when I was born was a 69' 911 S. My father was a Porsche nut from the early 911 days which pretty much meant that I was destined to follow in his footsteps.

Most of my life my father always had a 911 or 930 in his garage. Some of my fondest young memories were riding with my father on our Sunday (all day) drives in one of his 911's with the radio blaring the Doobie Brothers or Paul McCartney and Wings. Makes me smile just thinking about those days.

When I got older and was ready to start driving, naturally I wanted a Porsche 911 of my own. Besides not having the funds, my father advised that you must first walk before you run.

So, my education of rear engine cars began with a 73' VW Beetle Convert. The freedom was thoroughly enjoyed and my independence and my eyes were opened to the working world. I would scrape, scrounge and save where eventually I found myself driving a 63'
Porsche 356B. Loved every mile behind the wheel of that car and it led me to my 72' 911t Targa. I put almost 100,000 wonderful miles on the car after purchase. Eventually I bought an 85' 911 Carrera from my father that I enjoyed for years up until I was about to get married and ultimately start a family. I sold that car back in 2000 and have not owned a 911 since.

You know how it is, marriage, work, kids, new business, house remodel, etc. For some reason there was always a reason why the
next 911 would never make it back into my garage, which leads me to today. Sure I had other interesting cars along the way but nothing quite touched my soul like the 911 did.

Now Today, I have finally come to the realization that I have to have another 911, I must pass this legacy on to my sons. For I have accrued some of my lifes best memories in a 911 and plan on making new great memories in the future.

The plan is to use the car as weekend car while getting her fit for track duty, will need to source a roll bar, seats and harnesses, amongst many other suspension parts. I have read alot about many different suspension set-ups within this forum so I will need to do more research on what will fit my mission best.

Anyway, Apologies to all for I have gotten pretty long winded with my first post but I am just very excited to be back in the Porsche family.

Hello All!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Rovman; 07-09-2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-09-2011 | 01:05 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Congrats, nice intro, where are the pics?
Old 07-09-2011 | 02:27 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Congrats!!!!! Must show pics though....

-B
Old 07-09-2011 | 10:14 AM
007DT
Drifting

Welcome... Cool story!! I hope my kids remember the time we spend wrenching on my cars and cruising around.
Enjoy the GT3.

Btw love the 3 wheeler. I gave up flying to race. Couldn't afford both.
Old 07-09-2011 | 11:33 AM
911S4
Rennlist Member

Welcome and congrats on your new ride. Great to see another P-car enthusiast back in the family.
Old 07-09-2011 | 01:03 PM
danes
Intermediate

This is a great post!!

Congrats !!
Old 07-09-2011 | 01:19 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rovman
...but in the end found a SY 996.2 GT3 with 29,000 miles that is in great shape.....
We need pics
Old 07-10-2011 | 02:46 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the welcomes guys, very happy to be here. Sadly, I have no photos of the car yet. I have been so busy lately. Promise I will take photos soon and get them posted.

Also, Gave my Dad a ride in the car yesterday and he had a smile from ear to ear. I didn't tell him i bought the car and had it in the garage with the doors closed. i asked him to get something in the garage for me and when he walked in i heard him say rather loudly WTF!!!! Ha,very funny as he doenst curse much if ever. Absolutely loved the car, I could see in his eyes that it was taking him way back to the early years when he owned his 69' S. After he drove a bit he said out of all the 911's he has owned that was the car that felt and behaved the closest to my GT3. Pretty cool. He is just getting into his 70's and sold his last 2 Porsches 12 years ago and has not been in or around one since then.

He called tonight to tell me how much he enjoyed our drive and that he is thinking on getting another 911. Makes me happy as I know how much joy he accrued behind the wheel of a 911.

Looking forward to more Porsche fun.... pictures soon........
Old 07-10-2011 | 08:27 AM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Very cool story.
Coax him back into a 911 if it brings him a glint in his eye.
Old 07-10-2011 | 08:51 AM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

He called tonight to tell me how much he enjoyed our drive and that he is thinking on getting another 911.
This is great !

You know how it is, marriage, work, kids, new business, house remodel, etc. For some reason there was always a reason why the
next 911 would never make it back into my garage, which leads me to today. Sure I had other interesting cars along the way but nothing quite touched my soul like the 911 did.
Remember the 911 has 4 seats, so it is a family car, a dysfunctional family car, but a family car none the less
Old 07-10-2011 | 09:08 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Very nice.

But.........
Attached Images  
Old 07-10-2011 | 11:29 AM
TomGT3
Racer

Did it come with any goodies?
Old 07-10-2011 | 12:18 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Welcome!
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2011 | 10:32 AM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rovman
Thanks for all the welcomes guys, very happy to be here. Sadly, I have no photos of the car yet. I have been so busy lately. Promise I will take photos soon and get them posted.

Also, Gave my Dad a ride in the car yesterday and he had a smile from ear to ear. I didn't tell him i bought the car and had it in the garage with the doors closed. i asked him to get something in the garage for me and when he walked in i heard him say rather loudly WTF!!!! Ha,very funny as he doenst curse much if ever. Absolutely loved the car, I could see in his eyes that it was taking him way back to the early years when he owned his 69' S. After he drove a bit he said out of all the 911's he has owned that was the car that felt and behaved the closest to my GT3. Pretty cool. He is just getting into his 70's and sold his last 2 Porsches 12 years ago and has not been in or around one since then.

He called tonight to tell me how much he enjoyed our drive and that he is thinking on getting another 911. Makes me happy as I know how much joy he accrued behind the wheel of a 911.

Looking forward to more Porsche fun.... pictures soon........
Great story!!! I hope to form the same bond with my kids around cars. I've been brainwashing them to buy daddy nice expensive cars when they get older.
Old 07-11-2011 | 02:31 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Cool, and congratulations... Et bienvenue Stephan

Quick Reply: Hello All , New 6.2 GT3 owner