New here.. enthusiast and hopefully future owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Rev_2_8k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New here.. enthusiast and hopefully future owner

Hey guys,

been a long time lurker and figured it was time to actually post. I recognize a lot of names from 6speedonline where I posted from time to time. I was really close to pulling the trigger on a black 996 GT3 a while back but instinctively didn't (accident but fixed properly at Downtown Porsche in Toronto).

A bit about me... I'm a car nut, more importantly a Porsche guy. I'm probably one of the younger guys here at just shy of 30, also owning my share of sports cars (never a Porsche yet though).

I was on target to get a GT3 this year but left my career and company of 13 years to try out another business venture. I may have to wait until next summer for my toy, but hey waiting is the name of the game to get the car I've been lusting over.

Driven many Porsches from Boxters/Caymans, Turbos, GT3's and my favourite by far is the 996 GT3

Nothing to me, is better than a rough riding, raw, unadulterated experience. I love to track and take spirited rides on the weekends. Call me crazy, but I love the look of the 996.

I hope to be able to come out on cruises or meets/track days in the future... just thought I should introduce myself first.

Glad to be part of the crazy dark side

Steve
Old 07-04-2011, 07:37 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 211 Posts

Welcome to rl : ). Mike
Old 07-04-2011, 08:20 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Welcome !
Old 07-04-2011, 08:47 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

welcome to here!
Old 07-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 220 Likes on 109 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Rev_2_8k
Racer

Thanks guys... I see there are a few Crazy Canadians floating around too

I'm itching for track days... I've been without a sports car for 2 years now.

I need the 6gt3 bad!
Old 07-04-2011, 10:21 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome to the Club. There is no turning back. There have been a few GT3's for sale over the last couple of months. Search the forum, and begin the hunt. Look in both this forum and the "For Sale Ads" forum.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Hi Steve,

Good to hear you've still got the 6GT3 bug. I'm sure you know Ilker's car is still available...... I also know where you can get a nicely track prepared Cayman S. Good luck with the search.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:15 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

The wait will make you appreciate it even more! Welcome.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:52 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Steve and welcome. I looked at that black one as well but went a different route. You just can't go wrong with a 996 GT3.

Steve B, could you please pm me what you know about the Cayman S? Wife is hinting at a 996 4S as a DD, but after seeing what those Cays can do at the track, I think I'll try to convince her that she doesn't really need back seats
Old 07-05-2011, 02:10 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 220 Likes on 109 Posts

Francois if you or your wife drive a Cayman S you will love it. They are damn good.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Rev_2_8k
Racer

Hey Steve, yes Ilker has been very good. I took it out for an hour or so for a spirited run. The problem with having big claim on it is if I even needed to sell, most people looking for a 6GT3 want it with 'no stories'.

I just feel it should be priced to sell not to sit. Alas, I will find one I want at the right time Let me know when you hit some track days, I'd like to check out your track prepped 6.

Francois, I think Ilker said you came by to try the car... he said you decided on something else...I'm assuming the car in your avatar?

Thanks to the rest of the guys for the welcome. I'm seeing a few more nice rides pop up both here and in the FS section.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:45 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Francois if you or your wife drive a Cayman S you will love it. They are damn good.
Yes, I'm afraid of that. I certainly saw what they can do at The Glen, geez!

Originally Posted by Rev_2_8k
Hey Steve, yes Ilker has been very good. I took it out for an hour or so for a spirited run. The problem with having big claim on it is if I even needed to sell, most people looking for a 6GT3 want it with 'no stories'.

I just feel it should be priced to sell not to sit. Alas, I will find one I want at the right time Let me know when you hit some track days, I'd like to check out your track prepped 6.

Francois, I think Ilker said you came by to try the car... he said you decided on something else...I'm assuming the car in your avatar?

Thanks to the rest of the guys for the welcome. I'm seeing a few more nice rides pop up both here and in the FS section.
Yes Steve, the car in my avatar. Main reason was that there were MORE MODS

Yes, that car took a hit, but I've come to realize that $25k is not major. Yes, it will subtract a bit from resale, but well documented trumps not documented any time. And that should be reflected in the price TODAY so that it comes out even when resold.

Don't know how close you are to buying (how ready), and can't remember the price Ilker was asking, but I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the black car... IMvHO.

You might even be able to get CPO added to it --> Ilker --> DFC for a fee.

Anyway, good luck again.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Rev_2_8k
Racer

Originally Posted by FFaust
Yes, I'm afraid of that. I certainly saw what they can do at The Glen, geez!

Yes Steve, the car in my avatar. Main reason was that there were MORE MODS

Yes, that car took a hit, but I've come to realize that $25k is not major. Yes, it will subtract a bit from resale, but well documented trumps not documented any time. And that should be reflected in the price TODAY so that it comes out even when resold.

Don't know how close you are to buying (how ready), and can't remember the price Ilker was asking, but I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the black car... IMvHO.

You might even be able to get CPO added to it --> Ilker --> DFC for a fee.

Anyway, good luck again.

You're right... but right now the timing was a bit off. I would have taken a much, much more serious approach had the offer been sweeter.

I have lots of time though, even if that means waiting until next summer. I still need to unload my sport bike too to free up some $$

Ps. I see a few GT3/RSs are going to Mosport July 14 for Mancation II... maybe I should swing by for some spectating?
Old 07-06-2011, 12:40 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

^ I'll be there

Quick Reply: New here.. enthusiast and hopefully future owner