Sponsored by:

Replaced exhaust tip clamps, alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Number54
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replaced exhaust tip clamps, alignment question

One of my exhaust tips fell off at a track event. I was told the stock clamps are not good and should only be used once. So I bought a pair of Fabspeed v-band clamps which I installed.

The driver side is fine, but the passenger side is not right. It currently is as though the tip is too far towards the front of the car. No matter what I do, it is within a couple millimeters of the muffler pipe and very close to the bumper. Any idea why? Isn't this stuff supposed to be symetric? The driver side isn't nearly that close. Both tips have the underside adjustment bolt at the same position.

Unfortunately I'm not at home this weekend but will post pics tomorrow.

Note that my car had an aftermarket exhaust that was reverted to stock by the previous owner. I believe it was a GMG exhaust. Anyway, could the passenger pipe that connects to the tip be slightly off because of this?

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:18 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Use the bolt to adjust it; if that is not enough then something is bent, so you may use this:

Old 06-26-2011, 10:09 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Just a heads up to you all. When looking at your exhaust tips from the rear, if you notice one or the other slightly off check to see if the main bracket that holds each of the 25 pound muffler/canisters are CRACKED.
Mine were, and at $500 and 4 week back order you will want to have them welded before pieces are missing.
Ask me how i know.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Number54
Racer

Here are some pics. You can see the tip is very close to the bumper in the top picture.

In the bottom picture you see the adjustment bolt all the way back. While it looks like there's okay clearance with the pipe, its hard to see, but there is only a couple millimeters on the far (upper) side.

Does someone have a good picture of what stock tip alignment should look like?

Thanks.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:42 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

I took the handle end of my large socket wrench and stuck it inside exhaust tip as far as it could go and pulled down on it. It was passenger side as well. I'm abit impatient about adjusting when brute force was the easier way : ). Mike
Old 06-29-2011, 12:18 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
I took the handle end of my large socket wrench and stuck it inside exhaust tip as far as it could go and pulled down on it. It was passenger side as well. I'm abit impatient about adjusting when brute force was the easier way : ). Mike
moi aussi!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Number54
Racer

^^^ Funny. But I don't understand... The actual curved pipe that the tip is attached on doesn't seem like it would bend with just leverage and pulling. Seems like you'd just rip the muffler-tip clamp off.

I have a bad feeling that the GMG -> stock exhuast conversion left the passenger muffler slightly off.

Quick Reply: Replaced exhaust tip clamps, alignment question