Sponsored by:

A couple of 997 shift console install questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Number54
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A couple of 997 shift console install questions

I'm in the middle of installing a 997 shift console with EVO linkage on my 996 GT3.

I noticed two unexpected things. First, the main vertical shaft from my stock shifter looks really bent, not like the 997 one. I'm hoping that's just by design. Anyone know?

Second, I have the shifter centering device for the 997 shifter. I tried putting that on my stock shifter to keep it centered while removing it. Unfortunately the centering device doesn't seem centered on the 996. On the 997 it seems dead in the middle. Is there a 996 centering device that's different? In the picture below the shifter is in neutral and you can see the centering device tabs don't line up with the shifter base. When I force it on, there is a significant change in the cable positions. What should I do to keep the thing centered?

Lastly, I couldn't find the supposed hex bolt to remove the shifter ****. I have the rennsport alcantara package, and you can see in the first picture that the **** differs from the stock arrangement. How do I remove it?

Thanks
Old 06-15-2011, 09:57 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock 996 GT3 vs 997 GT3; slight bend

Not sure on your centering device question. There may be a different 6 vs 7 centering devIce; IDK.

The only set screw I found whn doing this work was on the Exclusive shift ****; not on any of the 996 or 7 *****.

That **** looks like a press fit; pull up hard, but careful of your teeth and nose.

HTH

Last edited by SH || NC; 06-15-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:38 PM
joeycannoli
Racer

996 shifter **** should just pull off. Give it a good grip and give it hell. Watch your face and headliner
Old 06-15-2011, 05:42 PM
Number54
Racer

Thanks for the info.

How about this... does anyone know if the EVO shift link is exactly the same length as the stock one? Just wondering if I can re-use the same cable positions.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:53 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by joeycuccaro
Watch your face and headliner
What a great visual !
Must be one of those days... I'm sitting here at the office laughing my *** off.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:12 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hijack the thread, but SH NC said something I don't get ~ how can the positioning tool mount on the center console and not the shift console? Isnt the center console removed when you replace the shift console??? I presume you reconnect the shift cables with the center console removed?
Old 06-15-2011, 08:47 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

I misspoke. The centering tool fits on the top and bottom edges of the shifter console
Old 06-16-2011, 12:48 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Each shifter family has its own particular centering device. The 996 is different from the 997 which is different from the cup. You do not neet to center the original shifter, it is already centered. Just mark the cable ends. The new shifter is where the centering device becomes important.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Number54
Racer

Thanks all. The new shift console is in I still have to play around with reverse a bit, I only engaged it once to get out of the garage. Other gears are significantly tighter, much less of a plasticy feel, and it takes more effort to get the gears in. Some observations...

1. The rennsport shifter is just push-on. But it was really in there and couldn't get it out easily. I had the stock shift console on the ground with my two feet securing it down, and pulled up until it came off. No head smacking drama, but i can't imagine doing this safely in the car.

2. The EVO link has 3 tiny screws that attach to the cable. Seems like a bad design to me. Why not have two half shafts with machined threads and a couple bolts to hold the half shafts together? Kind of like the stock arrangement. Anyway, 2 of the 3 screws are easy to get to but the one that ends up facing down is not easy to get to. I only managed to get blue loctite on the top 2.

3. The stock link comes out easily by hand. The EVO link however is hard to get in. I had the 997 shifter upside down, centering device in, on the table. I put the EVO link onto the ball and used a rubber mallet to hammer it in. Once it was in it had a LOT of resistance to movement, much more than the stock 996 or 997 one. I presume that will loosen up over time. I did put grease in there. This may be contributing to the increased effort required to get gears in.

4. Counting from the back of the car towards the front, I had 5 empty threads on both the forward and reverse links of my stock shift console.

5. The passenger side clip holding the cable to the back of the console is hard to get on/off because of a screw nearby. When removing it, make sure you removed the cable first. You can pop the clip off but it gets stuck. Move the cable to get clearance to remove it. When installing, get that clip into place before attaching the console to the car. This just makes things a bit easier.

6. When I put the cable into the EVO link it *seems* like it went in all the way to the end. I pushed it in and it blocked exactly where I made the mark on the cable. Dunno if I'm just lucky or that's by design, but I didn't have to make any adjustments. Note that I did adjust the EVO link to be the same length as the 996 link.

That's all. Its only day 1 so I want to give it some time before I report my overall impressions.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Pmafia
Intermediate

I have a question regarding marking the shifter cables to retain their exact position in the new shifter. To me this information doesn't make any sense and is very misleading to someone DIYing this mod.

I marked the cables on my 996tt shifter before I removed the shifter console. Upon installing the 997 GT3 shifter, with the centering tool, I noticed that the cables would not pop in and line up with the marks. I had to pull the blue shifter cable about 1/4" to make it match the mark. Officially stumped, I started searching forums for someone that had a similar issue. I found that the cause could be anything from bent shifter cables at the transmission, to worn transmission mount, to worn engine mounts. Before going out and changing out mounts I decided to pop the old shifter back in and use the centering tool to see where the cables fit. Well guess what? The cables didn't fit in their original positions when I used the centering tool on the old shifter, they were the same exact position as I had on the new shifter! The comment that was made that the 996 shifter has a different centering tool makes sense. I basically came to to conclusion that when you install the new shifter using the corresponding centering tool you have to pop the shifter cable in where they fit, not at the marks in the old shifter. We don't want to "pull" or "push" cables, they should be in their so called "neutral" position. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Pmafia; 11-05-2011 at 12:15 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Number54
Racer

^^^ Weird. So you are putting a 997 GT3 shifter into a 996 turbo? Does the 996 turbo shift console match the 996 GT3 one closely? Seems strange that you would have a bent cable or something if it worked fine before putting the GT3 shifter in.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:00 AM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Pmafia,

As others have stated, the 996 centering tool is different from the 997 centering tool. I marked my cables to observe the delta between the two. Note the mark in the pic showing the difference in the cable position. You should not have pushed or pulled the cables.
Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Pmafia
Intermediate

Stephen8,
Thanks for the pic. It basically confirms what I was thinking. I did not pull the cable, I let it pop in to its new position with the new shifter and centering tool. Whats really annoying is that all the DIY's I have read say that you have to install the cables in the exact same position as on the old shifter, which is entirely not true and could cause problems.

Number54,
Not really weird since a 997 GT3 shifter is a common mod on the 996tt It's a drop in replacement. And no, my cables aren't bent. That was just some misinformation posted on some other forum that someone thought would be the cause of the cables being in a different position from shifter to shifter.

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: A couple of 997 shift console install questions