Sponsored by:

I bought the village bicycle!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Burger
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default I bought the village bicycle!

After a few attempts at purchasing a 996 GT3 without success (4 fell through the cracks), I ended up with the Dublin Nissan car. I've been shopping for 6 months, and my budget pretty much dictated I would be getting a car with a story. This one has a history, that's for sure, but I don't think it's as scary as the rumors made it out to be.

The car has had it's fair share of owners, and this indeed was the car that Carlsen Porsche had at one point. I cannot verify the story that it may or may not have been involved in a bump while it was there. I don't see anything that leads me to believe it had been damaged or repainted at all.

The latest owner was in fact Taz Harvey, who has a racing history in World Challenge and other series (don't have much more in the way of details) and he did take it to the track a couple of times. The previous owner did the same, while also using it as a short route daily. Taz put the blue decals on the car, and while I was on the fence regarding pulling them off.... they look really good in person, and match the OZ wheels that I also bought with the car. In time, I may tire of them, and off they will come.

The car had recently been serviced at Porsche of Livermore, so they had limited history/records. The engine was pulled recently to resolve a CEL that was the result of an emissions tube being pinched. (Not sure which tube or where, but the CEL is gone)

As for the purchase from Taz, it was quite an ordeal to finally talk to him since I started with their internet sales guys who really couldn't answer too many of the questions I had to quell the concerns I had with the car. After talking directly to him, the process was much better. Great guy. I had two compression tests done on the car, since the first one resulted in numbers that weren't even close. The second test at a different shop gave solid numbers across all 6.

Researching the car, there was a lot of mystery revolving around it's history and condition. If I had to guess, I'd say Taz didn't want to sell the car, but gets a credit for having it as part of the dealerships inventory so the first time it went up for sale with the crazy high price was so it wouldn't sell since he wanted to keep it for a while. Made sense to me, but I'm really just making an assumption. When I spoke with the first salesman, he even suggested it was going to be tough to get answers about the car since the owner didn't seem to0 eager to move it. I had to pry it from his death grip! lol

I had the car shipped to Cincinnati, and even after deciding to make the purchase I still wasn't exactly confident I wouldn't find something scary with the car. When they pulled it off the truck, it had a bit of dust from the journey on it and the first thing I noticed was the color difference between the hood and the fenders. Immediately I'm thinking something had been repainted, but after closer inspection, the front end and the whole hood are clear bra covered. The ever so slight yellowish tint was what I was seeing. I get it to the house, broke out the hose and washed the car so I could go over it with a microscope to see exactly what I had bought. The car is in great shape aesthetically. A few tiny chips, very tiny, scuffed a little where the lip used to be. Has rock guard at the back of all wheel wells, bottom of fuel filler opening, and at the edge of the doors. Some of the wheels have little nicks, but no major rash. All the body gaps are consistent. Interior looks new with the center console delete and Rennsport pedal and floor plates. Paint looks consistent over the whole car. If it's been repainted ever, I cannot tell. Under the car, nothing looks distorted. Sounds like a heat shield rattle under deceleration when in gear, still need to sort that out.

Drove the car, feels very tight, shifting is firm and direct, plenty of power, pulls super strong above 4k all the way to red line. Diff growls at low speed tight turns, which research shows as expected. I have yet to find anything wrong with it. The front rotors and pads all around are new.

The plan is to take it to Wright Motorsports, which is 5 minutes from my place and talk to them about putting the cup LSD clutch plates in the pack and change the ramping. While it's there, I'll have them go over the car to find anything I missed.

Seems like a great car to me, and after lurking on this forum while searching for one over the past 6 months, I'm finally an owner. I had an M3 that was modded with lots of track goodies, so I half expected the GT3 to feel somewhat similar. I was wrong, it's way better. Much more direct. It really does command your attention to driving. It's fantastic!

Jason

Last edited by Burger; 06-14-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Burger
Pro

Oh, and if you have a second, jump over to Performance Frictions FB page and like my post to help me win a set of front pads! (Shameless plug)

http://www.facebook.com/PFCBrakes
Old 06-13-2011, 06:03 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is this dramatic history all about?

Looks good. Need more pics.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:21 PM
maca
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats!

i too went from a heavily modified m3 to a gt3 and can't believe the difference
Old 06-13-2011, 06:32 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by SH || NC
What is this dramatic history all about?

Looks good. Need more pics.

+1
Old 06-13-2011, 06:43 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice looking car. Saw your car at the Ault Park Concours yesterday, I like the graphics in person. John Wright is awesome and will definitely tell you if anything is out of the ordinary.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

sweet
Old 06-13-2011, 08:17 PM
jlasuncion
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice car!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:20 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

You've obviously bought smartly.
Enjoy the car. Great color! Lose the stripes.
Congratulations!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:14 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations, great looking car! Enjoy, I've had mine for six months and I still love turning that key.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:47 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Ne idea how long ago those blue decals have been on? If they've been on for quite sometime and if car is out in sun ie sales lot paint underneath mite be fresher looking then rest of paint ie outline kinda look. I don't mind decals- more the better : ). I think Sharkwerks 3.9 6gt3 is always parked outside 24/7 so all u need is a jack and jackstands and Trq wrench : ). Wheels are same color as your blue decal : ). Mike
Old 06-13-2011, 10:18 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Congratulations Jason, I always loved that car, but the price was nutso. Price probably kept car waiting for you at the right time
Old 06-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Great looking car and sounds like a good purchase.

Did you buy it from this Taz Harvey?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N5uAFB-TTQ
Old 06-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Burger
Pro

Ouch! Yep, that would be Taz. The decals were put on by him. They've been on about two years, I believe.

The second set of wheels I bought with the car are powder-coated the same color as the decal, so Sharkwerks car is safe. lol

Old 06-15-2011, 12:08 AM
ace996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Congratulations!!!! She is a beauty!!!

Quick Reply: I bought the village bicycle!