Sponsored by:

Video: Pocono North Course

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 12:00 AM
ninerguru
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Video: Pocono North Course

I had the opportunity to instruct with the NJ Chapter of the Audi Club last week. Here's some video. My first YouTube posting... Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVq8QrhdVZs
Old 05-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are a couple of areas I use second gear and you don't. Maybe you are carrying more speed than I do. I carry a larger arch through 1. NEQ runs a nice event. Is that some kind of shift light you installed?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:01 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow, that is weird to see Pocono counter-clock!
Old 05-17-2011, 06:05 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob, I basically use 3/4 gears unless in traffic and need to slow down in turn. I should look for your videos to see T1 and how you take it. Will try at Ladies Day in July. Shift light is carry over from red car,made in UK for motorcycles. Some similar models available now. Makes it easy to shift...
Old 05-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

I think I may be running my car harder than you do. I use second on the North Course in three areas. . I can't wait for the run together. You were coming in off the main straight in 4th. I usually use 3rd and 2nd on the right hander. We'll see when we run together. In theory you should be faster if you can carry the speed through the turnhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ypXYEv75xU Another example- At Monticello some were coming onto the main straight in third- I was using second and on turn 1 as well.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Mike in CO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was really hoping to be able to do that event as my first track event in the new car, but work intervened. For better or worse, I probably have more laps under my belt on the North Course at Pocono than at any other track.

I'm planning to do Metro PCA's event at Pocono on June 24th. I did it last year in my 968. They ran the configuration some clubs call "The Bowl" all day (North Course infield from West to East, then clockwise all the way down and around NASCAR 1 and back up the front straight).

The funnest part of the day last year was the final run of the day. The instructor group got to run the full tri-oval in NASCAR direction (counter-clockwise) at speed. Very interesting in the 968 and should be fun in the GT3!

I may do NNJR Ladies' Day as well if I still want to try the North Course again after that.

Question: How were the transitions onto and off of the main track? I heard that the main track was repaved, and the transitions into and out of the infield were rough. It didn't look like it on the video. Just curious.

Mike
Old 05-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

very rough and bumpy. not maintained well. Only back there because Monticello is locked down to non members and Millville can be a journey and doesn't really excite me. I do prefer Lightning there. . The long configurations are FAST. Some find it boring but I'm a speed junky. Nothing like the Glen but - oh well. A further note- the drop offs at Pocono can make the pot hole than Rick ran into at VIR look small. Boulders get kicked up- not rocks. I've lost 3 windshields there in the last few years even with tear-offs.

Last edited by Gofishracing; 05-18-2011 at 08:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Video: Pocono North Course