Sponsored by:

6GT3 Track Seats Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 02:59 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 6GT3 Track Seats Help Needed

I am looking for seats for my 2004 GT3 to use with a harness and harness roll cage. The problem ... the stock GT3 seat is too narrow across my hip area. The linear distance measures 14.5 inches across and I need 16 inches to fit.

What are my choices if I want to track the car AND wear a harness? I would prefer to have the seats stay in the car, so looks are important. My existing seats are black leather with red stitching across the entire interior. Also, if I want an instructor to ride with me, I want to have the exact same setup on the passenger side.

I have to assume someone else has had the same issue. What was your solution? There may be a Recaro solution out there, but without trying the seat first, I would not be sure I fit. (Sort of like trying helmets on!)

Has anyone in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area track their GT3 and have an alternative to the stock GT3 seats?

Any help would be appreciated as I know I will not be happy with a stock seatbelt for too many track sessions.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:37 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 211 Posts

I heard a few have used Sparco evo seats. The widest one is Sparco evo 3 for someone who wears size 38-42 and bout 240 lbs. No clue on mounting options. Hopefully someone here know if it fits in the 6gt3 ie shoulder area mite run close to window. Mike
Old 04-23-2011, 04:41 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Jon,
Maybe you can work this backwards.
Check what brackets BK makes for specific seats and choose seat from there.
This will obviously simplify installation.
David
Old 04-23-2011, 05:31 PM
ace996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I cannot recommend the Cobra Suzuka GTs enough. They are extremely supportive and are wider in the hips than other seats. I just barely fit in the Euros but had much more room with the Cobra.
Try to find a shop in your area that works on cars, call them and ask which clients have more 'American' builds, than 'European', and see if you can test-fit a few seats. Or see if a local place has seats for you to try on.

Good luck,
TomK
Old 04-26-2011, 04:16 AM
a2coupe2a
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are the specs of the current recaros available.

Last edited by 911SLOW; 04-26-2011 at 09:50 AM. Reason: pm sent
Old 04-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

When shopping for seats for my Cayman, I liked the fit of the Recaro Profi XL. I'm 6' and 215#.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:03 AM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by a2coupe2a
Here are the specs of the current recaros available.

My seats are the last one above. Believe they are SPG Pole Positions. I tried a wider one, the XL, but it impinged on the console. If you need the XL, you may need to delete the console. Kyle
Old 04-26-2011, 05:03 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

As I research, I get closer to defining exactly what I want in a seat.

1. Must recline

2. Must be leather as I drive the car on the street as well

3. Must be wide enough in the upper thigh area to accomodate myself. 6' 2", 250lbs. Measured a seat at RAC at 16" that fit well.

4. Am not too concerned with seat weight at this is only a DE car 3-4 times a year.

I have looked online at: Recaro Sportster CS and really like it, Sparco Milano Prestige, and the Cobra Misano L and 30 seats. From what I can tell the Recaro and Sparco seats both are 16" in the thigh bolster area, while the Cobra shows to be 15".

Anyone out there who can comment on any of these seats?

Anyone out there in the North Texas area who has one of these seats where I may come and sit in one to try out?
Old 04-26-2011, 05:39 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

The seats you describe above are all good seats, but they are not dedicated track seats that are typically required if you are going to use harnesses. PCA rules now pretty much prevent harnesses with anything but shell type track seats. Nothing wrong with using the OEM 3 points, but they don't hold you in as well as a shell/ harness combo.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:10 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are only DEing 3-4 times/year, why not simply get seats to swap out.. thus you don't need to worry about leather and potentially, folding for rear seat access.

imho, the folding seats, unless the new GT2 seats, are really NOT made as strong as a fixed seat. Having an "oh snap" moment at 100+mph and finding youself heading backwards into a wall isn't a good time to think "boy, are my ebay sourced, made in china seats ready for this"?

Sparco, Recaro come to mind as seats worth the money.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:56 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurboCup87
The seats you describe above are all good seats, but they are not dedicated track seats that are typically required if you are going to use harnesses. PCA rules now pretty much prevent harnesses with anything but shell type track seats. Nothing wrong with using the OEM 3 points, but they don't hold you in as well as a shell/ harness combo.
So a Recaro or Sparco reclinable seat with harness guides is not acceptable at PCA DE events?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:08 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racer
If you are only DEing 3-4 times/year, why not simply get seats to swap out.. thus you don't need to worry about leather and potentially, folding for rear seat access.

imho, the folding seats, unless the new GT2 seats, are really NOT made as strong as a fixed seat. Having an "oh snap" moment at 100+mph and finding youself heading backwards into a wall isn't a good time to think "boy, are my ebay sourced, made in china seats ready for this"?

Sparco, Recaro come to mind as seats worth the money.
How difficult/easy is it to change out the seats in a 6GT3? I have heard it is easy and then it is hard. I have heard the airbag is an issue as well.

The whole idea behind a Recaro or Sparco is to have a quality seat for street and track that is safe yet fits the interior leather of the car.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 211 Posts

What rollcage you're going with if it hasn't been done? You should get some kinda head restraint system like Hans if u don't want your noggin snap and die from a frontal collision. Mike
Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdrake
So a Recaro or Sparco reclinable seat with harness guides is not acceptable at PCA DE events?
PCA events want "equal restraints" for driver and passenger. They also ask that, if using harnesses, that the seats be manufacturer approved to work with harnesses. Yes, the reclining Recaros and Sparcos are allowed.

Safety can be a pretty touchy subject. Some would argue that NOT having a full Head and neck restraint, Halo seat, drivers suit, fixed back FIA approved seat etc etc, is putting yourself in too much risk. Others, like myself, have no qualms about a strapping into just a 3pt belt and stock seats. You need to determine where YOU stand on some of these items.

Did you mean a rollcage or a rollbar. IMHO, once a cage goes in, its a track only car. Driving on the street has its own risks, such as your unprotected knoggin hitting it. A rollbar would be behind the seat and would pose less chance for injury.

However, having a rollbar (or cage) already limits useability of the rearseat area, so having "reclining" seats from an access perspective becomes less practical as well.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:28 AM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

PCA events want "equal restraints" for driver and passenger. They also ask that, if using harnesses, that the seats be manufacturer approved to work with harnesses. Yes, the reclining Recaros and Sparcos are allowed. .
I totally agree on the equal restraints requirements and have planned from the start to provide that for the passenger side as well.

Safety can be a pretty touchy subject. Some would argue that NOT having a full Head and neck restraint, Halo seat, drivers suit, fixed back FIA approved seat etc etc, is putting yourself in too much risk. Others, like myself, have no qualms about a strapping into just a 3pt belt and stock seats. You need to determine where YOU stand on some of these items. .
I am probably more like yourself in the safety area than some of the purists. I am strictly a DE person nowadays, having gotten competition racing out of my system years ago. I like to drive fast but am ultimately one who does not push things or takes chances. I do not have to be the fastest in my run group. I purposely drive at tracks that provide for lots of run off and have very few walls or barriers or trees. I too, had no qualms about using the 3-point in my Z06 but did prefer to be more planted with my 4-point Schroth.

Did you mean a rollcage or a rollbar. IMHO, once a cage goes in, its a track only car. Driving on the street has its own risks, such as your unprotected knoggin hitting it. A rollbar would be behind the seat and would pose less chance for injury.

However, having a rollbar (or cage) already limits useability of the rearseat area, so having "reclining" seats from an access perspective becomes less practical as well.
I have not decided on a harness/roll bar yet. Definitely NOT a cage! I can get a pretty good deal on an almost new GMG that is designed to allow full travel of the drivers seat. I had a BK in my Vette that was perfectly functional. I see that BK makes one for the GT3 as well. I also see one from RSS that looks similar to the GMG one. My reasoning here is if I cannot find a proper seat, then a harness/roll bar is not needed as I will be using the 3-point. (Obviously ignoring the stiffening effects of the Roll bar.)

Quick Reply: 6GT3 Track Seats Help Needed